Texas Fishing Forum

Species & Breeds

Posted By: teambassmanager

Species & Breeds - 09/22/17 03:25 PM

I Have heard that different bass inhabit each lake slightly different from the groups of others. It means that there is not necessarily one group/style/type of bass swimming in your local lake. Do you believe that some bass are "deep" vs "shallow" (their whole life is spent predominantly in one or the other) adding also that there are bass that eat certain forage or genetically predisposed to be triggered by certain reactions/baits their whole lives? How many believe that there are truly these certain groups or strain/breed of bass in which are possibly just programmed to be a certain specific way based off passed genes or environments?

What brings this question up is.. I just wonder if big fish offspring would be found using this type of theory?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Species & Breeds - 09/22/17 03:28 PM

I know for a fact there are fish that live shallow and fish that live deep for MOST of their lives. I believe the larger/older bass get more solitary, suspend out deep once the sun gets up and feed predominantly at night in semi-shallow water.
Posted By: squib

Re: Species & Breeds - 09/22/17 03:33 PM

Bill Murphy in his book "In Pursuit of Giant Bass" says that bass up to 4 lbs might be found anywhere. They are likely to spend a lot of time shallow. But after bass get to be around 4 lbs, they become much more inclined to move deeper and, even when shallow, try to stay very near deep water. I am not saying the book is the end-all-be-all, but it is very interesting. I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Giant-Bass-Bill-Murphy/dp/0963312006
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Species & Breeds - 09/22/17 09:23 PM

Reed Doug Hannon's thoughts on how many fish live shallow. He was the man, RIP..
-Doug Hannon's Field Guide for Bass Fishing
-Hannon's Big Bass Magic
-Catch Bass
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Species & Breeds - 09/22/17 11:40 PM

Bass, like every animal out there, will adapt to their habitat. It will always be around one factor, food. The only time that changes is when it's time to spawn. On deep clear lakes where the bait stays deep the bass will stay deep, and opposite when the bait stays shallow. Every lake would fish exactly the same if the bass didn't change per the lake they are in
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum