Texas Fishing Forum

automatic fish feeder

Posted By: get the net

automatic fish feeder - 09/19/17 02:23 PM

Anyone know which automatic fish feeders are worth installing on a dock and if anyone has one they are not using any more they would be willing to sell? We have a lake house and wanting to install one so my 5 yr old granddaughter can catch bream off my dock vs motoring around to a friends dock to catch fish.
Posted By: TrailHand

Re: automatic fish feeder - 10/31/17 03:18 AM

We've had pretty good results with this one. it's just a bucket with a caster on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-6-5-Gall...D9JQXTTQGCDNZVR
Posted By: Rocky Robison

Re: automatic fish feeder - 10/31/17 05:53 AM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/On-Time-F...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Set it to go off 2 times a day between 15 - 20 seconds everyday, this way it'll keep the fish residing at your dock. Some small Christmas trees tied up to several dock post and a feeder that'll keep the fish around and y'all be all set!
Posted By: speedboat

Re: automatic fish feeder - 10/31/17 01:11 PM

what kind of fish food do you use? when i have tried in the past, i always ended up with a bunch of turtles hanging around. Thanks
Posted By: bccougar

Re: automatic fish feeder - 10/31/17 02:29 PM

the small broadcast feeder works well, but make sure to hang it where no food can get on the dock or you will have coons trashing your dock in no time. also, Rocky has a good point, make sure to provide cover for your fish. not only around the dock but put some brush out from the dock in 7-10' and you will have more fish of all species that will move in to feed and back out. another great addition to your dock is a simple dusk to dawn light facing the water about 2' from the water level. it illuminates an area about 5-6' in diameter and will create a natural feeding zone at night. all species of fish get drawn to the light. and unlike underwater lights you can get one for about $20 at home depot and they use almost no energy. THESE ARE THE METHODS I USE ON MY DOCK. MY FATHER ALSO USES THEM ON HIS DOCK AT HIS HOUSE AND WE BOTH HAVE LARGE NUMBER OF BREAM, BASS AND CATFISH.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: automatic fish feeder - 10/31/17 03:13 PM

Any tripod deer feeder works. Key is replacing the spout with a directional spout so the feed goes in 1 direction instead of 360 degrees
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: automatic fish feeder - 10/31/17 03:16 PM

http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/all-season...bMaAsUmEALw_wcB
Posted By: Rocky Robison

Re: automatic fish feeder - 10/31/17 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: speedboat
what kind of fish food do you use? when i have tried in the past, i always ended up with a bunch of turtles hanging around. Thanks

I use the Trophy Fish from Tractor Supply. It's like $10 for 25lb bags. If you are getting a lot of turtles hanging around, it is probably because your feeder is dispensing more food than your fish can consume. Why I usually only set the timer for 15 seconds, but still occasionally a few turtles will show up.

Tractor Supply has a 50lb bag of catfish pellets, it's cheaper, but they are a little bit bigger than the Trophy Fish food and seem to float longer and we had more turtles hanging around when we used this.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: automatic fish feeder - 11/01/17 04:16 PM

These really attract a lot of perch. I have a neighbor who has one on his dock in Neely Slough on PK. When it goes off it gets hundreds of big perch feeding on the surface.

Big ones like this:

Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: automatic fish feeder - 11/01/17 05:25 PM

I know a guy that uses a shot feeder (throws in one direction)and Ol Roy cheap dog food. Catfish are always there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum