Texas Fishing Forum

Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko

Posted By: Klinker

Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/17/17 07:18 PM

Guys, for whatever reason I have always used an Offset Round Bend for Flukes and an EWG for Senkos. I have read a few articles recently about the advantages of using a weightless, screwlock, swimbait-type hook for each (such as Owner's "Twistlock Light" Senko-designed hook). Any feedback out there from those who use a screw lock type hook for Senkos and/or Flukes......do you see a difference (+ or -) in the results, action, feel, hookup?
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/17/17 07:29 PM

3/0 EWG whatever brand you like. It ain't broke don't fix it. Screw lock in senko (a real yamamoto) one I would think would tear it up bad
Posted By: perrypogue

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/17/17 07:30 PM

I certainly have a bunch of all styles and fish both flukes and senkos a lot so here's my free opinion. I think possibly the best for both baits would be a 4/0 Gama EWG but I've used different sizes of the screw lock type experimenting with the fall rate. The screw lok type are heavier and the bait will fall faster. But I like to throw a weightless fluke about 24" behind a huge barrel swivel. And I've certainly been in the boat when my partner using a weight ahead of the senko outfished the weightless. Regarding hookups, I seem to always get good hookups with 4 or 5/0 hooks and see no difference with the screw loks.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/17/17 07:48 PM

4/0 EWG if it ain't broke well you know the rest LOL

I do not believe a original senko will hold together on a screw type hook it will tear up after a few throws. You may could get away with it with a fluke but it will change the fall rate and your catch rate, it could be good or bad depending on the day.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/17/17 10:26 PM

Owner makes one specifically for senkos. Actually tears up less than offset imo
Posted By: Klinker

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 12:08 AM

That is the hook I was actually referring to. Do you feel like the Senko moves the same? One would assume since Yamamoto was involved with the hook design that it works well.
Posted By: Fishcharmer

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 12:22 AM

I use a 3/O Texposer hook by Lunker City originally designed for the slugo. It has a very high hook up ratio with flukes.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
3/0 EWG whatever brand you like. It ain't broke don't fix it. Screw lock in senko (a real yamamoto) one I would think would tear it up bad

Yep. 3/0 thin wire.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Klinker
That is the hook I was actually referring to. Do you feel like the Senko moves the same? One would assume since Yamamoto was involved with the hook design that it works well.

Yes moves the same or better since it's on the screwlock instead of offset. Fine wire too
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 02:37 AM

Gammy deep throat is the best fluke hook I've used, 4/0 EWG on senkos
Posted By: lunkerloser

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 02:41 AM

I agree with Fishcharmer except I usually use the 4/0 on senko type baits
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishcharmer
I use a 3/O Texposer hook by Lunker City originally designed for the slugo. It has a very high hook up ratio with flukes.

I use the same hook for the Senko although I rarely fish it weightless. Usually a 1/8 or 3/16 TX rig on mine. I like a 5/0 EWG for a Fluke
Posted By: Tritonjose

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 12:47 PM

g lock
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 01:21 PM

I use the Owner twist lock in either a 3/0 or 4/0 for both the Senko type bait and the super fluke. I also use the same size hooks in an Owner J hook for both baits. With the screw lock the baits don't seem to tear up as much but it seems to collect a little more grass on the nose of it than the J hook so I use both depending on the cover I am fishing. I see no difference in the hook up ratio between the two different style hooks. Both work well.
Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 01:47 PM

Highly agree with the above
Posted By: JayInNRH

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 02:57 PM

I fish it with a 3/0 or 4/0 ewg probably 90% of the time. I'll only use a screw lock with a very light weight if I'm skipping it around docks or over hangs a lot.
Posted By: Compassman

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 05:11 PM

4/0 EWG on weighless senkos, tried the screw in and didn't like it.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/18/17 05:47 PM

I use the Mustad Soft Impact hooks. Great hook up ratio
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/19/17 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

yep the lightwire version was actually designed by gary yamamoto. at least that's what it says on the pack . lol. i use them exclusively on texas rigged stickbaits and they make the bait last longer. imo
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/19/17 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: dimitri
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

yep the lightwire version was actually designed by gary yamamoto. at least that's what it says on the pack . lol. i use them exclusively on texas rigged stickbaits and they make the bait last longer. imo

I use them as well.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/19/17 01:35 PM

3/0 offset round bend for a 5" senko (4/0 offset round bend for 6" senko) and a 4/0 EWG for a 5" fluke (6/0 EWG for mag fluke). I have used a screw lock hook for flukes in the past and works just fine. I just prefer not to use one because it'll tear the bait up faster, especially on a senko.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/19/17 02:16 PM

I know this is going to get laughed out of here, but I use a trapper hook for my stick baits and flukes. 3/0 for sticks/Senkos, 4/0 for flukes. I dont like them on my texas rig baits, but they are all I use now on my weightless rods.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Hook - Weightless Fluke or Senko - 09/19/17 09:37 PM

Trokar EWG 110 3/0 for practice(cause I bought a huge amount on sale)in tournaments 120 3/0 or 4/0 on both Senko and Fluke on
Sunline Sniper FC #16 Flourocarbon
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum