Texas Fishing Forum

25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4

Posted By: Atta

25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/17/17 02:53 AM

A running a 2004 Triton TR22 with a Opti 225

Had a tempest 25 (not worked) run at 63-64
Had a trophy + (not worked) run at 61-62
Have a trophy (original) runs 56-58 - NOT GOOD

I've been told to spend the extra 200 and get a worked 25 tempest and the boat would run high 60's and could touch 70.

Any return giys out there for any info for me?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/17/17 03:20 AM

A prop worked for your boat will always be better than an unworked prop. Talk with a respected prop shop in your area... they should know what will work on your boat for a baseline, and then work it for its maximum efficiency.

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/17/17 03:32 AM

Live in Florida now but I've stalked with steves prop shop. I hear nothing but good things about them. Prolly just gonna let him fix one up and ship it to me. Says he does enough to make it perfect the first time. Just hate spending 700 on a prop lol
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/17/17 01:27 PM

Josh is actually the one @ Steves Prop Shop that will rework your prop and he does awesome work. He knows what he is doing.
He did a fantastic job on my Fury.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/17/17 06:55 PM

You have a big boat and a small motor, don't expect a miracle. Are your rpms where they are supposed to be?
Posted By: Catching Air

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/18/17 12:37 AM

I am running a 01 tr22 with them same motor and 25 tempest. Before I wacked my prop I was running 67mph. Now I'm at 62. Have looked on BBC and seen post of same boats running low 70 with hydraulic jack plates. Until I see it in person I will call it BS. We have big heavy boats. Anything over 65 I'm happy. Bought it for comfort and room not speed.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/18/17 12:52 AM

I have owned a TR22 with a Yam 300 and it is a fast hull for its size. I would expect your boat to see 68-70 with one person light load with the 225 Merc. A Tempest is a good prop especially after it has been worked. It will run as good as the Fury possibly better once worked.

The only advantage of the Fury is that it is made from a harder SS alloy that allows it to be made with thinner blades while not flexing.

I saw a brand new Merc prop out of the box that was supposed to be 25" pitch that had two blades at 25" and one at almost 27" pitch. It was cast that way. When you have a prop "worked", the first thing the prop guy does is the make sure all blades are the same pitch. A good prop guy can build in more bow lift or stern lift depending on what you need.

Your TR22 has a lot of boat out front so your prop needs to have a good amount of bow lift to carry the load. A 225 is not a "small motor" by the way. You just need to make sure it is healthy with good plugs, coils, and compression across all six cylinders.

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/19/17 04:15 AM

blew the motor a couple weeks ago. should have the new power head in and installed and back on the water within the next week or so. new plugs, cleaned/adjusted injectors, new oil pump, serviced lower unit, and a couple other tweaks will be made. figured it was time to put the prop on there for maximum performance. ive certainly enjoyed the boat and have put a ton of hours on it in the 3 years ive owned it. I have always heard that these tritons will fly and after the break in thats what i want it to do!
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/20/17 03:09 AM

The Fury props are made w/ lighter material (magn), it will increase your rpm's, w/ same pitch, as stated above, be sure the rpm's are where they're suppose to be, (prolly 5,600-5,800). Steve's shop does great work.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/20/17 03:38 AM

Steve set me up with a jack plate and prop (not blueprinted) several years ago on my TR22. I'm running 72-75 with a 250 HPDI. I'd expect 65-68 with your motor. But they are the experts... They'll be able to tell you what to expect out of it realistically. They do great work and have been very upfront and honest any time I've dealt with them.

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/20/17 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Atta
blew the motor a couple weeks ago. should have the new power head in and installed and back on the water within the next week or so. new plugs, cleaned/adjusted injectors, new oil pump, serviced lower unit, and a couple other tweaks will be made. figured it was time to put the prop on there for maximum performance. ive certainly enjoyed the boat and have put a ton of hours on it in the 3 years ive owned it. I have always heard that these tritons will fly and after the break in thats what i want it to do!

My old TR22 ran 80.3 on GPS with just me and no load. I had a hydraulic jack plate so I could adjust it on the fly. It was cool to be able to run down the lake at WOT and play with the motor height while watching the GPS. The heavier the load in the boat, the deeper you had to run the prop to get maximum speed. No surprise there.

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/21/17 02:33 AM

With the tempest 25 I use to run about 5700 rpm and get it to run 63-64 consistently. Someone told me to buy a 4 blade for hull shot and it didn't help much until I worked with the pvs plugs on it. Never got it back to the 60's since I broke that props blade. Bought a prop online and was told it was a trophy plus. It is an original trophy so I have had to drop my motor and can't run it trimmed all the way up. I know prop is the problem at this point just wanted some insight on model

Calling Steve in the am to buy a prop from him. I trust he will set me up. He said high 60's low 70's with a b&b tempest sonintrust him

Oh and I'm not looking for the boat to be bullet fast, I know it won't get there. Just want maximum performance and speed.

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/21/17 08:40 AM

Steve will help you get it there. Sorry you had problems with the motor. Once it is set up properly, I can easily see high 68-70 from that rig with a light load and you solo. I think the Tempest or Fury will be the best prop for your rig. I am trying to remember which prop I ran on my old TR22. It was def a Tempest but not sure what pitch.

Question: Why can't you run it trimmed all the way up?

Re: 25 Tempest vs 26 Fury vs 25 Fury 4 - 09/21/17 08:41 PM

Not sure on the last question. The trophy is lighter and spins faster than the trophy plus (so I've heard). I added a talon to the boat and it didn't change a thing. Then aboun2 months later it just dropped to running high 50's and "over reving" if I trimmed it all the way up. Just an old worn out prop I'm sure.

Power head is ordered and should be ready to put on Monday or Tuesday. Boat should be ready by the weekend and I just ordered my prop from Steve's. Should be here next Wednesday smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum