Texas Fishing Forum

Mixing different oil?

Posted By: i-Fish

Mixing different oil? - 09/16/17 11:31 PM

2014 Merc 150 Pro XS

Thought previous owner used Mercury 2-stroke DFI oil in the reservoir. However, the oil in the reservoir is more of a blue color whereas the new bottle of DFI oil that I have is blue in color. Don't want to cause any clogging in the motor by mixing 2 incompatible oils BUT my reservoir is way low (had intended on cleaning reservoir and lines and switching to premium plus soon) and I need to put some oil in it for my tourney tomorrow. All the previous owner could tell me was he used a Mercury synthetic. I know it's not premium plus because that is brown. Am I safe, you think? Can the oil change its color a bit over time sitting in the tank? I know it's been in there a while....thanks guys.
Posted By: Eric Reeves

Re: Mixing different oil? - 09/16/17 11:41 PM

Premium Plus is blue. I would fill it and run it if your reservoir is almost empty
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Mixing different oil? - 09/17/17 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Eric Reeves
Premium Plus is blue. I would fill it and run it if your reservoir is almost empty

My mistake. Meant to say the DFI oil is brown. You're right about premium plus being blue.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Mixing different oil? - 09/17/17 12:35 AM

as long as it says tcw3 your good to go. and premium plus is blue like Eric said
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Mixing different oil? - 09/17/17 02:10 AM

They are suppose to be compatible and will not harm the engine by mixing them.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Mixing different oil? - 09/17/17 03:08 AM

I wouldn't worry on premium plus mix with did since they are both Mercury formulated blends. I however wouldn't mix two brands
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Mixing different oil? - 09/17/17 10:54 AM

IN my experience mixing different oils is not a problem with the motor. The problem is in the tank and the filter before the oil is pumped to the motor for mixing. It can glob up. However if you need some for a tourney pour it in and clean the tank when you get a chance. If it is blue now then I would put the Plus in there. I have never seen oil change colors especially from Brown to Blue.

Jody
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum