Texas Fishing Forum

Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering

Posted By: EvanVidal

Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering - 09/13/17 10:06 PM

The first boat is a 83' Ranger 350v w/200 Merc XR4

May need Trolling motor (the guy never used it or had it hooked up), 2 batteries and new seats. Other than that, runs good no issues.

The second boat is a 89' sk1700 w/ 150 Johnson Fast Strike

Needs electronics and a couple switches. Everything else works.

Pros and cons and opinions welcome.

Thanks guys! (And Gals)
Posted By: tcTX

Re: Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering - 09/13/17 10:12 PM

is that a lefty Skeeter? or is the pic backwards? is that steering on the port side?

OMG
Posted By: Wayne McLean

Re: Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering - 09/13/17 10:12 PM

I had an 83 350V as my first bass boar--Great ride, good fishability. Merc motor was good. Cannot comment on the other.
Posted By: RKT

Re: Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering - 09/13/17 10:30 PM

I have owned one of those Skeeters. Do not buy it.

Re: Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering - 09/13/17 10:33 PM

Yes it is a center console left side driver.

Re: Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering - 09/13/17 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RKT
I have owned one of those Skeeters. Do not buy it.

Can you explain a little bit on why.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering - 09/13/17 10:40 PM

Check the transom, check the transom, and when you are done, check the transom! Look from the inside for any half-baked "fix" attempts.

Otherwise go with the boat that will be the least amount of work. Electronics and switches are usually easy fixes.
Posted By: RKT

Re: Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering - 09/13/17 11:05 PM

EvanVidal = PM sent to you
Posted By: Alfredo

Re: Buying first boat..... opinions needed on two I'm considering - 09/13/17 11:15 PM

Make sure you check out the trailer axle for any cracks or signs or impending failure on a boat that age. Dropping an axle on a single axle trailer can make for a very bad fishing trip.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum