Texas Fishing Forum

Update: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth

Posted By: sight fisher

Update: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/09/17 09:49 PM

Update:[b][/b]The city officail that was pushing the propasal resigned and all policies that were changed and proposed has been dropped and reversed. People can make a difference.

The city of Lufkin is planning to sell lease spots on Lake Kurth at a very very price. The development cost will come at cost of the taxpayer of Lufkin. My boss said he has already been told not to talk about it. I have already seen the development map. The understanding is that a city employee who got a settlement from his son's death is behind it and already has his lot picked out. This is a very bad idea. When the development of Lake Nacogdoches which is only 20 miles away, still has a lot of land and houses for sale still. There was a previous attempt to develope a subdivision right past Lake Kurth called Rivercrest that failed miserably. If this fails, only a few people living out there with a lot of privacy and nice roads will be thanking the taxpayers of Lufkin for this. I am sure that the alligators will be removed along with shoreline cover and then probably the grass because of people complaing it blocks the private piers. Past examples would be Lake Livingston, Lake Conroe and Lake Jacksonville. My sources come from 2 different individuals with city ties. If you care about this little jewel of East Texas, please bring as much attention and action as you can.
Posted By: Swimbaiter

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/09/17 10:13 PM

Put me down for a spot. Maybe 2.

Care for the little jewel? The lake has already gone down hill. I've been fishing the lake for 10+ years and it fishes nothing like it used to. Everyone wants to tell everyone about their little honey hole and word gets around quick... Next thing you know Major League Fishing is filming a World Championship on it... What a joke.

I'm not sure if I'm following your post. Are you saying that people are going to be able to lease a tract of land with a pier on it? Are you saying that a developer is coming in to potentially build homes?

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/09/17 11:03 PM

My understanding is around $250,000 per lease lot.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/10/17 12:45 AM

"If you care about this little jewel of East Texas, please bring as much attention and action as you can."

Good luck. Big money doesn't care about what you care about.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/10/17 01:22 PM

You can buy a nice waterfront lot on Lake Nacogdoches for $150K or less with nice roads and a much larger lake. Not so sure that $250K lease lots are going to fly off the shelf when you have so many other choices here in East Texas. Murvaul, Timpson, Pinkston, Nac, Rayburn, Toledo, etc...offer lots and houses for far less. Kurth is an OK lake, but they have to be competitive and just a little realistic.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/10/17 02:46 PM

Good luck building on maybe 20% of that shoreline. It's mostly lowland swamp that hold water. And who wants to live close to river crest. Maybe the most inbred meth infested area I've ever encountered. It's truly a sight to behold if you've been back there. I used to be on the deer lease surrounding kurth in late 90's and fished it ever since. It's a shell of what it was. Let em have it at this point.
Posted By: Todd Castledine

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/10/17 02:55 PM

Agreed, at this point let them have it. There were 3 or 4 of us that fished that place long before anyone knew about it. We kept it secret for years, most days we never saw a boat. When some people started talking about it we saw it get worse and worse. I used to get chills driving down the road in anticipation of what I was going to see and it never disappointed. I've been twice in 2 years and could less if I ever go back, it will never be the same. I understand people want everyone to share certain things about fishing, but let this be a lesson that sometimes it's better to keep things quiet before money and greed take your resource away.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/10/17 04:17 PM

Stories from that lake back in the day will blow your mind that's for sure
Posted By: Swimbaiter

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/10/17 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd Castledine
Agreed, at this point let them have it. There were 3 or 4 of us that fished that place long before anyone knew about it. We kept it secret for years, most days we never saw a boat. When some people started talking about it we saw it get worse and worse. I used to get chills driving down the road in anticipation of what I was going to see and it never disappointed. I've been twice in 2 years and could less if I ever go back, it will never be the same. I understand people want everyone to share certain things about fishing, but let this be a lesson that sometimes it's better to keep things quiet before money and greed take your resource away.

Well said Todd.

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/12/17 05:58 PM

Still Ticked
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/12/17 06:38 PM

LOL @ $250,000
Posted By: Canny

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/12/17 07:22 PM

I know for a fact that they are looking to subdivide lots around Kurth lake, however that figure of 250,000 is way off base from what I have heard from members of the City Council.

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/13/17 02:15 AM

I am sure there is a public hearing on it. Surely they wouldn't do something like this without a hearing and getting feedback from the taxpayers.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/13/17 03:19 PM

Sure is convenient that the "City" just renovated the Ramp and pier. Wonder where that money came from for the new private subdivision/lake? sick
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/23/17 09:11 PM

I spoke to Lufkin officials several times in the past about a new ramp. We used to go to Kurth as often as possible back when you could get a 3-day pass from the caretaker. They have been wanting to do this for years. Originally it was supposed to be a state grant to build a new ramp, courtesy dock, parking lot and restrooms. The grant never came through. The City of Lufkin used left-over money from under budget projects to fund the renovations.

We have not been there in awhile so I am only guessing that the new restrooms and paved parking never happened.

http://www.ktre.com/story/33776121/kurth-lake-closed-while-renovation-progress-on-schedule

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/28/17 11:09 AM

The ramp area is a lot better.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/28/17 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Todd Castledine

Well said, and some people's need to feel like a pro while boasting and posting pics of their catch have also ruined some good lakes
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 09/28/17 03:01 PM

Death by media strikes again...

Re: Bad news coming to Lake Kurth - 10/22/17 02:41 AM

The city officail that was pushing the propasal resigned and all policies that were changed and proposed has been dropped and reversed. People can make a difference.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum