Texas Fishing Forum

Advice on a new trailer

Posted By: Yankee Fool

Advice on a new trailer - 09/03/17 08:58 PM

The trailer on my 2004 Triton 21 TRX makes me nervous. What are my options for getting a new one? Does it have to be custom built for my boat? Will a trailer for a 21ft Ranger or Skeeter (etc) work? Any idea how much a new one would cost or who I might get one from?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/03/17 09:03 PM

I'm not an expert, but I am sure, at a minimum, the trailer bunks and supports would have to be rebuilt to match the Triton hull. As for length? I am pretty sure a trailer from a boat of equal length and width could be modded to work.

I would also think that a custom trailer would be better than a refitted trailer, as a custom would be made to set the axles where the majority of the weight would ride. Every boat looks similar, but I bet there are a lot of things to consider when they design them.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/03/17 09:50 PM

The trailer will have to be fitted tithe bottom of the boat. The best option is aluminum.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/04/17 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
The trailer will have to be fitted tithe bottom of the boat. The best option is aluminum.

Curious as to why aluminum is best option? I'm in same situation as above and will be looking to replace my champion boat trailer soon. Coach
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/04/17 12:25 AM

aluminum= no rust
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/04/17 01:01 AM

Aluminum, next choice would be a C channel trailer. Run, don't walk from tube trailers. Trailer bunks and rollers should be fitted to the boat.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/04/17 02:29 AM

Also make sure the cross members are not tube. If you go with a C-Channel go with 5 inch.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/04/17 01:37 PM

Aluminium is lighter , of course no rust , do not know the cost difference compared to steel .
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/04/17 03:23 PM

if you go with aluminum have a custom trailer builder do it welded because if you go with a bolt up as many miles as bass boat trailers travel it will squeak an it will constantly require the bunk boards to be adjusted. since they have been going back to more c channel trailers they are a lot more serviceable in the north texas area because if you put your trailer in pk Granbury squaw or texoma you might as well put it in saltwater.

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/04/17 06:41 PM

Thank you all very much for your help! Im thinking the most prudent start is just taking mine to a good trailer guy for an assessment. Can anyone recommend a real expert in the Lewisville/North DFW area?
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/04/17 07:41 PM

Tex All Aluminum trailers near Conroe do good work as well as Mcclain trailers. Both Aluminum and if you can afford a new Aluminum trailer by all means do that for the reasons listed above. If trying to save money, you can find a good used tandem trailer and have it fitted for your boat. If the bunks are movable, that makes it easier. If they have to be cut and re welded, then that costs more but could still save money in the long haul. Also as gamblin man said, RUN FROM TUBE TRAILERS.
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/05/17 11:14 PM

McClain Trailers in Houston and don't look back. Aluminum ... it will outlast your boat.
Posted By: Jiff7210

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/06/17 07:16 PM

I just went through this on my 2003 TR21 trailer, the thing was about to rust apart and it made me really nervous. I priced new trailers and I just couldn't swallow it.

I ended up buying a used trailer that was a little wider and a little longer. I cut the bunk mounts off and the winch post. I then parked the 2 trailers next to each other and just mirrored the mounts and winch measurements to the stock trailer. You will either need a welder or you can use the bolt on bunk mounts. It was a time consuming job but I just did it as I had time and continued to use the stock trailer until I was ready to swap them out.

I am really happy with the way the replacement trailer came out. It's a way better trailer with C-Channel frame.

let me know if I can help you in any way!
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/06/17 07:43 PM

^^^this is what I did over the winter (TR20X on Skeeter trailer). Trailer was for a FX21. Cost extremely lower than new and C Channel. Can be done with patience.

Posted By: Hanley

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/06/17 09:03 PM

I've got a TR21 on a Legend LE-21 trailer. Just got some diamond plate cut to cover the Legend Cutouts and re-welded all the brackets to match the original rust pile.

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/06/17 10:42 PM

Great info, I'll explore the options!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/07/17 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Yankee Fool
Thank you all very much for your help! Im thinking the most prudent start is just taking mine to a good trailer guy for an assessment. Can anyone recommend a real expert in the Lewisville/North DFW area?

The guy who posted right before you, SSmith sells trailers. Surprised he didn't mention it. He advertises on Facebook under Smith Boat Sales and also on Boat Trader. I just checked and he has several tandem trailers listed. Whether they are what you're looking for I wouldn't know. His place is in Scotland, TX. Worth a look.
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Advice on a new trailer - 09/07/17 12:39 AM

If you fish Texoma... It will eat a steel trailer. My home lake. Aluminum is the way to go. Good information on this thread. There is a reason Stripers reproduce there. It is basically salt water with "Big Minerals".
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum