Texas Fishing Forum

Remember the Trailer!!!

Posted By: chickenfried76

Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/03/17 03:53 AM

I had the unfortunate scenario of having a bearing blow out and burn up today. Sending pics to remind everyone that trailer maintenance is important, too. I carry two bearings with me, but forgot to put the grease in my toolbox when I got a new truck a few years ago. I feel like an idiot...

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/03/17 12:49 PM

Sorry for your troubles. Makes for a late night getting back home. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/03/17 02:27 PM

FWIW....for about 20 years I fished tournaments all over the southeast plus usually a trip to Guerero(Mexico) each year....I would have my bearings inspected and hand packed twice a year....I never added grease and I never had problems....since I retired and rarely fish tournys anymore,I still have my bearings checked and repacked once a year...(murphys law was invented with trailer bearings in mind)....
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/03/17 06:06 PM

I have had my bearings blow several times on me... I've gotten good at changing hubs on side of road. I usually care a pre packed spare hub with me at all times.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/03/17 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: T-racer
I have had my bearings blow several times on me... I've gotten good at changing hubs on side of road. I usually care a pre packed spare hub with me at all times.

Been there done that with a buddies old ranger he used to have. We did same thing started carrying an extra hub
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/04/17 02:17 AM

I was planning to get up and leave an hour before daylight yesterday morning for a 150 mile round trip. It had been a long week at work so I decided to sleep late instead and go today. Decided to grease the bearings yesterday afternoon and the hub came apart when I squirted the grease in. Luckily that happened in my driveway and not on the road.

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/04/17 03:43 AM

Yep. I put it out there so everyone learns from my troubles. I usually can't give great advice about fishing so I want Ted to gov emailedthung to TFF.

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/04/17 03:44 AM

Obviously can't type on iPhone either LOL
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/04/17 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By: chickenfried76
Yep. I put it out there so everyone learns from my troubles. I usually can't give great advice about fishing so I want Ted to gov emailedthung to TFF.

Ha yeah autocorrect killed you on that one. That's hilarious.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/04/17 12:50 PM

I've read that bearing buddies are worst thing to have on a trailer because of two things....most people have a tendency to overfill and when grease gets hot,it expands and blows rear seal out....other reason is that the grease you can force through a grease gun is much thinner than hand packed grease so you are just watering down the hand packed grease in your hub.....I can speak from my own experience and that is when I quit using a grease gun years ago,I quit having bearing problems...
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/04/17 01:05 PM

Also, while your boat is in the water take a minute or two and check where you axles attach to your trailer. I spent a very hot Saturday welding an axle back under a Ranger trailer a couple weeks ago on the side of the road.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/04/17 01:27 PM

And check your bunk boards and carpet while the boats off.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/04/17 01:31 PM

We pack bearings the old school way .

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/05/17 02:07 PM

Can someone recommend a good trailer shop around Roanoke or Grapevine?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/05/17 02:11 PM

I use the shop on 114 at County Line Road.
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/05/17 03:01 PM

McGills in Lewisville
Posted By: Canny

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/05/17 04:47 PM

Oh man that stinks! Sorry for the bad luck!
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Remember the Trailer!!! - 09/05/17 08:46 PM

Been there done that! Matter in fact, I just go the boat, and bought my GPS's and graphs for it.. Was on the way to take it to the shop to have it all installed, stopped for gas, grease everywhere, bearings fried......
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum