Texas Fishing Forum

Have you switched to Garmin ?

Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/26/17 09:24 PM

Have any of you that were Lowrance or Humminbird users, switched to Garmin ?

If so are you glad you switched?

Any major issues with your Garmin?

Thanks
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/26/17 09:27 PM

Got a 93sv on a bay boat. Not impressed with the side imaging. Really can't compare to helix mega
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/26/17 09:29 PM

Funny you post this. I was in BPS and never really paid much mind to the Garmin. But for whatever reason it caught my eye when I was in there and I've started researching a lil bit, seems like some good stuff. for some reason I thought it was priced a little less than HB and Lowrance.
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/26/17 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Got a 93sv on a bay boat. Not impressed with the side imaging. Really can't compare to helix mega

What transducer are you using ?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/26/17 10:03 PM

Whatever came with it
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/26/17 10:06 PM

Mega imaging is the only way to go
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/26/17 10:59 PM

I don't think anything compares to mega imaging right now....From a Garmin owner.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/26/17 11:17 PM

I have the 73sv at bow and console. I really don't like them at all. I think the bigger units should b better.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/27/17 12:26 AM

Other than panoptic I'd see no advantage over lowrance or hbird.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/27/17 01:07 AM

love my 93sv for easy to use, and SI and DI, charts not so much, and they wont accept
lakemaster or navionics cards...I run a Helix 7 on console for my GPS/Charts, and a 93sw on a post
for sonars,..
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/27/17 02:03 PM

Replaced an older Lowrance with the Garmin 7DV. West Marine had them on clearance a couple months ago so I thought I'd give it a shot. Using it at the bow, and the 2D and DV are really good. Really easy to use. The only questionable thing later on may be the flimsy power and transducer connections.
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/27/17 06:26 PM

I thought garmin was higher $$$ than HB popcorn2
Posted By: Firebassin

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/27/17 09:39 PM

The 93sv might be the best $1,000 unit in my opinion. Especially since it comes pre loaded with maps that are not bad. However, if I could go back I would spend a little more and have a helix mega
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/28/17 12:28 AM

I got garmin since we needed a new graph very bad. I'm glad I went to it for 1k its the best deal to me. you get maps, down view, side view, and traditional sonar. its very easy to use. We have a 93sv at console and 73sv at bow.
Posted By: Cactusflyr

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/28/17 01:22 AM

Yes...love the trad sonar and panoptix. Di is a draw, Si is lacking, even the normal hb units.... Panoptix is a game changer. Won't ever get rid of it. Might get a mega just for the si, eventually.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/28/17 01:25 AM

Well, comparing the 1000 dollar 93sv to a humminbird mega unit probably isn't fair. Just gonna put that out there. I paid $530 for my used 93SV from a guy off of BBC, and for that 530 I LOVE it. Side imaging could be better. But I actually love the charts. I upgraded to the Lakevu ultra and think they're good. The graph, for the price, is great. I can't speak on the high end garmin units. I have heard from other users than panoptix is the bomb. But again comparing 93sv to mega unit just isn't fair.... two totally different price points.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/29/17 08:38 PM

Garmin makes a great product and have always been a staple in the Saltwater world, but the thing that limits them somewhat is the thing they limit you to only their mapping, which I hear is good on lakes they have mapped. With Humminbird and Lowrance, both have multiple mapping options(Lowrance-Navionics & Insight)(Humminbird-Navionics & Lakemaster) so that there is a really good chance that there is mapping available in your area. If not using the Panoptix, not really seeing a big advantage to switching over. Like stated above, if using the higher end units where Mega imaging is an option, that is definitely a good route to go. JMO
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/30/17 02:05 AM

I switched from them.... mapping was the desision maker for me , not having access to navionics was a deal killer.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/30/17 02:57 PM

I bought one for the bow to do Panoptix. Haven't had it on the water yet, but my early impressions of playing with it a couple of hours in the garage are not having touchscreen like on my HDS units is a hard adjustment, the operating system of the unit seems very "unelegant" compared to Lowrance. Their Homeport software is pretty cruddy compared to Lowrance Insight Planner as far as viewing maps at home on your PC and managing waypoints.

The positives are Panoptix and the ability to build your own contoured map which I will use heavily at two small public lakes I fish that Navionics etc. does not support that have a lot of humps and other structure. I also like the color shading ability to custom set depths on their map, e.g. 1-5 is light blue, 5.1ft to 10ft is a darker blue etc. - would love Lowrance to knock that off. Kind of a get what you pay for deal?
Posted By: randywillfish

Re: Have you switched to Garmin ? - 08/30/17 08:52 PM

I bought the 73SV and guess I didn't do enough research. Even though it touted "17,000"lake maps, I got used to flipping between Lowrance maps and Navionics.
My Garmin won't take Navionics....
Other than that, for a $400 unit, it's easier to see than my old HDS-5 Lowrance....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum