Texas Fishing Forum

Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport

Posted By: T Bird

Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 02:32 PM

Besides a little social media and print publicity, what is B.A.S.S. and the fishing industry contributing to growing the sport. It seems to me, that 95% is done by grass roots volunteers in donating their time, equipment and money. That said, I believe it's time for those who profit most from growth the sport to step up their financial involvement.
Posted By: Thor Outdoors

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 02:51 PM

I could not agree more, being said that I did something about it to help get people involved in outdoor activities such as fishing and hunting. www.logicalrednecks.com I'm a 17 year old and my best friend and I started this company to help other people find their passion in the outdoors like we did.We got tired of seeing people in our generation sitting around indoors wasting time. 10% of our income goes directly back into high school fishing. This company we started has big things coming to it very soon, and our goal is to help others find their passion in the outdoors.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 02:54 PM

That would be nice to see. We may see small incentives thrown out there as time goes on; but don't expect much. In my opinion there are several reasons:
- They see the sport growing by leaps and bounds without their involvement.
- They look at it as they do the adult divisions; work your way up the ladder.
- As long as underlying organizations are helping those students get into the sport they are happy.
- They take a wait and see attitude. Family and friends of this youth sport want the best for our young fisherman and will do whatever it takes to make sure they have a good experience.

All businesses are about time, money and people. We have to start at the bottom and work toward the top in asking for help. This is the way it has always been and is not going to change any time soon. This is an industry that is all about acquiring sponsors and only the best will get the best.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 03:19 PM

Curious what BASS and the fishing industry should be doing? Prolly more than many know.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 03:31 PM

- Every major circuit (TBF, FLW, BASS) has high school and college divisions now putting tournaments on all over the country and each circuit has a suite of companies that offer discounts or contingency programs just for putting a logo on your shirt.

- Each of those circuits have volunteers and paid employees overseeing logistics, contracts with venues and vendors, moving and setting up equipment all over the place, filming for nationally-televised shows in many cases specifically for high school and college anglers.

- College national champions are getting births into the Classic and the Cup each year.

- Many of the successful college anglers are now moving into the professional circuits and doing well, or earning employment in the industry. I'm 29 and two guys I fished with in college are now major representatives with Shimano and Costa partly due to their college fishing careers. My college fishing experience helped me get my current job (which includes coaching a college fishing team).

Honestly, I think the big circuits are doing a pretty good job at promoting and nurturing youth fishing, considering that their bread and butter are the professional anglers way up at the top. Attend a TBF high school national championship or world finals and I think you'll be impressed with how much they do and teach their anglers along the way.

And frankly, do we really want to keep growing the sport just for the sake of growing? I know that sounds outrageous because we're all programmed to believe that nothing is good unless it's endlessly expanding. I question that idea because I run a college circuit, and it is literally becoming IMPOSSIBLE to schedule 4 tournaments, even in the fall, without double-booking a ramp, much less being on the same lake as another tournament. Natural resources aren't like the US economy; we can't just print up more water to fish (sarcasm).

So, while I do agree that companies who make a great deal of money from anglers should return the favor to ensure the sport continues into the next generation, I also think we need to be careful about how far we want it to grow in the future on top of a finite resource.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
- Every major circuit (TBF, FLW, BASS) has high school and college divisions now putting tournaments on all over the country and each circuit has a suite of companies that offer discounts or contingency programs just for putting a logo on your shirt.

- Each of those circuits have volunteers and paid employees overseeing logistics, contracts with venues and vendors, moving and setting up equipment all over the place, filming for nationally-televised shows in many cases specifically for high school and college anglers.

- College national champions are getting births into the Classic and the Cup each year.

- Many of the successful college anglers are now moving into the professional circuits and doing well, or earning employment in the industry. I'm 29 and two guys I fished with in college are now major representatives with Shimano and Costa partly due to their college fishing careers. My college fishing experience helped me get my current job (which includes coaching a college fishing team).

Honestly, I think the big circuits are doing a pretty good job at promoting and nurturing youth fishing, considering that their bread and butter are the professional anglers way up at the top. Attend a TBF high school national championship or world finals and I think you'll be impressed with how much they do and teach their anglers along the way.

And frankly, do we really want to keep growing the sport just for the sake of growing? I know that sounds outrageous because we're all programmed to believe that nothing is good unless it's endlessly expanding. I question that idea because I run a college circuit, and it is literally becoming IMPOSSIBLE to schedule 4 tournaments, even in the fall, without double-booking a ramp, much less being on the same lake as another tournament. Natural resources aren't like the US economy; we can't just print up more water to fish (sarcasm).

So, while I do agree that companies who make a great deal of money from anglers should return the favor to ensure the sport continues into the next generation, I also think we need to be careful about how far we want it to grow in the future on top of a finite resource.

I'm not seeing any significant contributions here.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 03:58 PM

So what is we are expecting to see that would change your mind? I also believe there is a misconception about how much money many of these companies are making, and how big they actually are.

The growth of the sport and the love of fishing has, and always will begin with the home, no matter how much money is spent.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 04:09 PM

I think that B.A.S.S specifically does a good job of nuruting the kids into the sport. I thought the High School National Championship was well done this year and that is a B.A.S.S. organization. I am not a sure of the all the steps on the ladder but I believe SETX is the Texas Division of BASS for high schoolers. Texas is just so large that we have a bunch high school trails that may be considered "grassroots", but I dont think that is the case in the majority of states.

And I have to agree with Outdoor Dude, I would like to see a lot less of you guys out on my waters stealing my fish, I wouldnt mind be the only one on the water roflmao

Now if I was trying to make a living selling fishing tackle then I would probably feel differently.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 04:35 PM

Youth fishing and hunting is definitely growing relative to when I was young.

More money needs to be spent on wildlife management (stocking and habitat improvement)

I fear there will be no shortage of future anglers, but a deficit of bass to fish for and healthy vegetation to fish in.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird

Then you and I have very different definitions of "significant."

If what these organizations are currently doing is so unimpressive, what exactly would they have to do to satisfy you in this regard?

BMCD has made some very good points that I agree with; we're not dealing with Google, Amazon or Wal-Mart-type companies here.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 04:57 PM

https://www.bassmaster.com/high-school-bass-fishing

Looks like they give it a pretty fair amount of coverage and host events etc. It gets the same play as the Opens, College fishing etc. Not sure what else people can expect. Sure seems to be supported to me. I am sure FLW does as much also.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 05:35 PM

If what these organizations are currently doing is so unimpressive, what exactly would they have to do to satisfy you in this regard?

BMCD has made some very good points that I agree with; we're not dealing with Google, Amazon or Wal-Mart-type companies here.

Show me the $$$$$$$$$$ contributions. You won't find it.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 05:37 PM

You think that setting up venues, hosting these tournaments, providing coverage on B.A.S.S., print, etc is free? BASS runs a business. Where is the return on THEIR investment?

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 05:45 PM

Show me the $$$$$$$$$$ contributions. You won't find it.

Yeah you will if you look hard enough.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
You think that setting up venues, hosting these tournaments, providing coverage on B.A.S.S., print, etc is free? BASS runs a business. Where is the return on THEIR investment?

Gee, that's a tough one. How bout > profits from increased membership through.......

Table 1. Membership Fees

B.A.S.S. As determined by B.A.S.S.

B.A.S.S. Nation $30.00

Texas B.A.S.S. Nation
Chapter (Club) Member $25.00

Texas B.A.S.S. Nation
Non-Chapter (At Large) Member $85.00

B.A.S.S. Chapter (Club) Determined by Club

Add > $$$$ gained through increased participation/entries in B.A.S.S. sanctioned Tournaments.

That's just a few of the tangibles. Then you could throw in increased advertising revenue & Tourn. sponsorship revenue.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 06:09 PM

Gee, that's a tough one. How bout > profits from increased membership through.......

Table 1. Membership Fees

B.A.S.S. Nation $30.00

Texas B.A.S.S. Nation

Texas B.A.S.S. Nation

Add > $$$$ gained through increased participation/entries in B.A.S.S. sanctioned Tournaments.

And those same profits get used to fund the BASS HS stuff.

They give back and support it pretty well. I have a feeling no matter what they did you would find fault. I don't think they need to provide a blank check and Classic spots to say they are supporting it.

Are you involved on a local level to see it grow?

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 06:17 PM

What increased participation/entries in B.A.S.S. sanctioned tournaments are you talking about?

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Table 1. Membership Fees

B.A.S.S. Nation $30.00

Texas B.A.S.S. Nation

Texas B.A.S.S. Nation

And those same profits get used to fund the BASS HS stuff.

They give back and support it pretty well. I have a feeling no matter what they did you would find fault. I don't think they need to provide a blank check and Classic spots to say they are supporting it.

Are you involved on a local level to see it grow?

Thanks for asking.

First off, you don't me from Adam so your negative insinuation of my personality is unwarranted.

Second, Yes I am involved. B.A.S.S. Life Member since 1978 (and much more) who not be criticizing the organizations lack of monetary support if I was not familiar with their level of involvement or lack there of.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 06:40 PM

Second, Yes I am involved. B.A.S.S. Life Member since 1978 (and much more) who not be criticizing the organizations lack of monetary support if I was not familiar with their level of involvement or lack there of.

Then why remain a life member? If the organization isn't doing enough to satisfy you, let them know it with your $.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 06:45 PM

No negative insinuation here, just an opinion based on your posts on the subject that you don't consider the considerable effort, time and money they are putting into it currently is enough. I see a considerable effort, you do not. Its not personal.

Past being a Life Member how are you involved with HS/college fishing?
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 06:55 PM

I think I can speak with the utmost confidence here. I have been involved with HS fishing since its explosion onto the scene a few years back.
I think B.A.S.S.has stepped up their game in the past few years. The TBF and FLW got off to a fast start with youth fishing and still do a great job, but after a few years of growing pains, B.A.S.S. has caught up, especially with media coverage of the HS events. Heck, they cover HS events on the front page of their website from time to time, along with college events. The relationships between the grass roots organizations like THSBA and SETX and B.A.S.S. and FLW have NOT come to full fruition yet. There is an awful lot going on behind the scenes to change this and for the most part, it is moving in a very positive direction. All we see is the tip of that proverbial iceberg right now. Don't forget, youth, HS, and college fishing is relatively NEW still. I would love to see a HS kid qualify and participate in either the classic or the Cup eventually. If one organization does it, you know the other will as well.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 06:59 PM

I am all for HS fishing but I honestly would not like to see Classic or Cup spots given. I just think too many guys at the Elite, Open, Tour and Costa levels work way too hard and put a lot of their own money on the line to qualify for and the path a HS angler would take is not on the same level. Might not be a popular view but its my view. Ignite the passion to get there at the HS level but make the route through the avenues already in place.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 07:11 PM

For the most part Mark, I agree with your sentiment and would agree 100% with you if asked 10 years ago, but when they started allowing college kids in, that opened up a can of worms. The average college angler spends no more money or time on the water than the best HS anglers (Notice I said BEST). No difference in my opinion.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 07:17 PM

No negative insinuation here, just an opinion based on your posts on the subject that you don't consider the considerable effort, time and money they are putting into it currently is enough. I see a considerable effort, you do not. Its not personal.

I think it would be wise for me to invoke the 5th. My thread and opinions on this matter do not necessarily represent those of the organization(s) I am involved with.

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 07:20 PM

I think it would be wise for me to invoke the 5th. My thread and opinions on this matter do not necessarily represent those of the organization(s) I am involved with.

Understood.cheers

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: GeoFisher
For the most part Mark, I agree with your sentiment and would agree 100% with you if asked 10 years ago, but when they started allowing college kids in, that opened up a can of worms. The average college angler spends no more money or time on the water than the best HS anglers (Notice I said BEST). No difference in my opinion.

But they do it without boat captains etc. You really want to put a HS kid that may not have driven a boat much behind the wheel in water like they saw at Conroe or in freezing temps etc? You can't place a boat captain in the boat in the Classic etc. Running the TM and making all fishing decisions all season long without someone in boat helping you is a large part of it to me. Not knocking HS fishing at all as I think its not something I would want to see happen anytime soon as a fishing fan.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 07:41 PM

Tim and the guys and gals at THSBA have done much more than any national organization with much deeper pockets from membership and sponsor money.
I cannot believe how much the high school events have grown in last 2 years...great job TIm and THSBA!
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: GeoFisher

But they do it without boat captains etc. You really want to put a HS kid that may not have driven a boat much behind the wheel in water like they saw at Conroe or in freezing temps etc? You can't place a boat captain in the boat in the Classic etc. Running the TM and making all fishing decisions all season long without someone in boat helping you is a large part of it to me. Not knocking HS fishing at all as I think its not something I would want to see happen anytime soon as a fishing fan.

I'm not up for them giving college anglers a spot in the classic or the cup, much less a HS angler.
As Mark said, there is a path. It is long, winding and tough as hell. At the end of it, you have earned something and it means something. To allow HS and College anglers into the big show against the pros just because it feels good is doing discredit to the Pros who have worked and sacrificed to get there, jmo.

I attended the FLW National Championship/SAF World Finals this year with my boys. It was very cool, very well organized and ran slick as can be. While it wasn't the "Classic or the Cup", there were vendors in attendance. Remember that short of dues, there are no entry fees for FLW/SAF tourneys so they pay accordingly. While it was cool, I am much more impressed by our home team trail.

Which brings me to THSBA who is currently only affiliated with THSBA. The kids pay membership, pay entry fees and sometimes pay club dues. The tournaments pay deep, the top spots pay well and the championship last year paid extremely well for the top 15 or 20 teams. The guys who run it are constantly hustling and trying to gather sponsors to enable them to continue to pay out to their anglers. They are successful and highly motivated. They are also almost ALL volunteers who do not receive pay.
I like the thought of the THSBA staying "grass roots" and continuing to grow, keeping our stuff in-house and on a home-grown level.

There are companies in the industry that are helping out, a lot. They may not be flying the "look at me" flag but they are helping.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/24/17 09:30 PM

agree that high school,womens trail or college should not be allowed in the classic....disagree with letting the winners of an open tourney in because there is too much luck involved in winning one tournament......no problem with winners of point championship in open divisions earning a spot because they have shown they have fishing skills by placing high enough in three different tournys on three different lakes.....
The classic is the world series of bass fishing and needs to be kept that way....
I fished redman/BFL for 15-20 years and qualified twice for the All-
American......for a weekend fisherman,I'm very proud of what I accomplished and certainly would not want FLW to cheapen the All-American by letting high school,womens trail or even college students entry....

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/25/17 04:31 PM

Well in my opinion BASS does alot to help grow the sport from kids to adults. Heck the elite level events is something that might sway a kids to fish. The classic is great and in my view caters to families. The federation is a grass roots organization and BASS is involved. BASS is involved in College bass fishing.

If ur involved with a youth group BASS is not a company that is going to give you money. Heck the tackle companies are more then willing to be involved with youth groups, by supplying free tackle. BASS Pro sponsored HS 6 anglers a few years ago in my area. We have had several companies donate product.

If ur out looking for money, your not gonna get it from the fishing industry. if U would like help with your youth fishing organization do some research, there are different causes companies want to be more involved in, and know what it is u need.
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/25/17 06:37 PM

Growing the sport?? Our East Texas lakes get pounded by bass anglers year round. Lol
Posted By: Neches

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/25/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy
Growing the sport?? Our East Texas lakes get pounded by bass anglers year round. Lol
Yea I'm a little lost on why it needs to grow. Not enough lakes around here to hold the numbers of fisherman now.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/26/17 12:32 AM

I was thinking the same thing. It is a crowded sport as is. There is a limited number of lakes that are also being crowded by other boaters.

I also don't see that it is a companies responsibility to fund groups unless they find it financially rewarding to themselves. It's my responsibility to take my kids fishing and get them involved in it.

I guess it makes me a jerk but just how I feel
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Youth Fishing/Growing the Sport - 08/26/17 12:33 AM

Meh lakes too crowded now, let them play soccer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum