Texas Fishing Forum

Mud hole rods

Posted By: Mellis86

Mud hole rods - 08/23/17 12:40 AM

Anyone have an opinion on the mhx blanks and kits from mud hole custom rod building kits?
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Mud hole rods - 08/23/17 12:46 AM

If you're looking for a good worm rod, MHX-super hi modulous are nice rods.

I've built 12-13 of the MHX blanks and love them
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Mud hole rods - 08/23/17 01:02 AM

I built the SWB967 swimbait rod kit with the Winn Grip option. It is an excellent rod but at the price point, it is comparable to my Dobyns Fury SWB rod. I think the value comes in more favorable for the higher end blanks & components than the ones I selected. But there is a lot of satisfaction in building it yourself.
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Mud hole rods - 08/23/17 02:10 AM

I build on Batson Rainshadow blanks but have built a few MHX rods and they are decent for the price.

The kits offer really basic components (full cork grips, full trigger seats, basic guides) which are fine if that's what you are into while learning but IMHO you should talk to a rep with Mudhole to help size more attractive components.
Posted By: Mellis86

Re: Mud hole rods - 08/23/17 02:18 AM

Do you know where I could find a rep?
Posted By: n_texas_basser

Re: Mud hole rods - 08/23/17 11:55 AM

I have a friend that builds rods and I have 4 MHX rods from him, 2 Medium Heavy Parabolic Crank Bait Rods, 1 Heavy Crankbait/Swimbait Rod, and a 1 power crankbait rod, I love them all and haven't broken one blank.
Posted By: 007.

Re: Mud hole rods - 08/23/17 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: mossyback75
I build on Batson Rainshadow blanks but have built a few MHX rods and they are decent for the price.

The kits offer really basic components (full cork grips, full trigger seats, basic guides) which are fine if that's what you are into while learning but IMHO you should talk to a rep with Mudhole to help size more attractive components.

I think their old kits were like that, but now they have kits with many options.

Cork Split-Grip
EVA Foam Split-Grip
MHX Winndry Split-Grip
Carbon Fiber Split-Grip

Kit Components
Black Fuji
Chrome Fuji

Kit Reel Seat
Fuji ACSM Exposed Blank
Fuji ECSM Exposed Blank
Fuji TCSM Standard

I prefer to build not using the the kits, that way I can use the exact components I want. However, a friend of mine ordered a couple of the kits and for the price it's a great value with good quality components.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Mud hole rods - 08/23/17 03:46 PM

I have a rod from them that is several years old, still my favorite rod.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Mud hole rods - 08/23/17 03:50 PM

I built this one. High Mod MH Fast - One of my favorite rods

Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Mud hole rods - 08/24/17 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: 007.
Originally Posted By: mossyback75

I think their old kits were like that, but now they have kits with many options.

Cork Split-Grip
EVA Foam Split-Grip
MHX Winndry Split-Grip
Carbon Fiber Split-Grip

Kit Components
Black Fuji
Chrome Fuji

Kit Reel Seat
Fuji ACSM Exposed Blank
Fuji ECSM Exposed Blank
Fuji TCSM Standard

I prefer to build not using the the kits, that way I can use the exact components I want. However, a friend of mine ordered a couple of the kits and for the price it's a great value with good quality components.

That's good to hear. Kits definitely make life easier for begginers or even people with experience who are strapped for time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum