Texas Fishing Forum

Is it the rod or reel that does the casting?

Posted By: Broke.fisherman

Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 05:58 PM

What plays a bigger role in casting distance? The rod or reel? All other variables being equal.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 06:16 PM

the reel only limits the distance. Some more than others, and variable with how its set up and the skill of the angler.

the rod and wrist are what generates the distance.

for instance, i can throw a lure a lot further on a 7'6" rod with some tip than i can a 7'6" telephone pole. generally speaking the longer the rod the greater the casting distance as well.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin

the rod and wrist are what generates the distance.

+1

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 06:51 PM

thinking about your question a little more - a cheap $30 reel will limit your distance more than a $150-$200 reel.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 07:44 PM

The correct rod for the type of bait thrown matters more for possible distance and accuracy but the reel and line all matter too. A bad reel and you'll never get distance without backlashes. Too light of line or wrong kind can break during the cast or shorten the distance also.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 07:54 PM

The question is what plays a bigger role in distance, the rod or the reel? The answer is the rod. All components matter and figure into the equation but the rod is numero uno.
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 08:41 PM

The rod. You can adjust a reel to max out the distance. There's no adjusting the rod.

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
All components matter and figure into the equation but the rod is numero uno.

The skill level of the angler factors in there pretty high, along with the rod.

Skilled angler, good rod, decent reel = plenty of casting distance
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: PowPowOl'Son
The rod. You can adjust a reel to max out the distance. There's no adjusting the rod.

A custom built rod that is built with the eyes correct with the reel your using will let you cast farther as well.
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 10:20 PM

I used to buy nice reels and whatever rods. Then I started buying nice rods and whatever reels. The rod makes a huge difference, the reel not so much.

Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 11:34 PM

I feel both play a role but its also how you throw your bait. I get better distance when there's a fluid motion compared to lower part of the rod is facing forward and the tip is slingshotting the lure
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/22/17 11:41 PM

The thumb makes the most difference

Then the reel, rod is a lever that privides power plant, the flex of the rod effects angle of cast a lot. Rod means more in skipping than open water casting
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/23/17 12:00 AM

Fished out of Rockport one time and saw quite a few surf fishermen with 10-12 ft. rod with spinning reels and it looked like they were easily casting over 150 ft. Couldn't tell how much weight they were casting but the rod would flex like a buggy whip so I would say it's a combination rod, reel and skill.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/23/17 12:21 AM

Way too darn serious about casting a lure. Period
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/23/17 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Broke.fisherman
What plays a bigger role in casting distance? The rod or reel? All other variables being equal.

Agreed the rod is critical. However, what I see more often than not is that most folks do not fill their reels full of line. This greatly reduces casting distance.

A lower priced reel full of line will cast farther than a $500 reel that is only 70% full.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/23/17 02:47 AM

Um...I am pretty sure it is the fisherman. I have seen great casters throw things 30% further just because of their confidence to let it fly, having all adjusted correctly and letting that sucker go with confidence is key. No question once you can truly do this the right combo can really be tuned.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Is it the rod or reel that does the casting? - 08/24/17 05:51 PM

Balancing your equipment is a big part of it also in my opinion. I have two identical finesse rods with a Curado 50E on one and a Daiwa Steez reel on the other and I can always make longer casts with the Steez, so in that case, the reel makes the difference.

You can also get more distance if you upgrade the bearings in your reel with air bearings. They are better quality and just spin more freely.

Rod action and length also are a huge factor in distance. I can make a longer cast with the same length rod if it has a soft or moderate tip action than the same length rod that is too stiff.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum