Texas Fishing Forum

Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water

Posted By: easttexasbucks

Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 05:20 PM

Just wondering what the best rod and reel combo would be for fishing a big 1 oz plus spinner bait in deep water? Thinking slow to steady retrieve.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 05:34 PM

I think a 7' Med Heavy action rod should be good. Could be a 7'3" or 7'6" even to give you more line take up on hook set. Whatever reel you use best gear ratio is prob 5:4:1 so you aren't reeling in too fast. I like Pro Qualifiers as they seem to have a wider spool.

Are you going to use flouro for that deep? I usually stick to mono for shallow spinnerbaits but would think the stretch is too much for a long cast deep spinnerbait bite.

And use a trailer hook!! :-)
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 05:37 PM

I throw a 1/2oz spinnerbait on a 7'3 MH in deeper water. Lew's 5.4:1 reel, 15lb flouro. No issues for me.
Posted By: easttexasbucks

Re: Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 05:48 PM

Just focus on a 1 oz. Spinner in deep water. Curious as to the type of line, rod, and the preferred reel setup. Just seems with the big blades it takes some reel speed to keep them moving. So I was thinking a 5.4:1 might be a little slow. Input would be appreciated.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 05:52 PM

I throw spinner baits on a 5.4-1 gear ratio reel because I tend to reel fast. I just can't reel as slow as Jimmy Houston does, but that's just me. With a 6-1 you could slow down if you need to, I just can't seem to reel slowly even with crank baits.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 05:53 PM

I like a rod in the 7'3"-7'5" range as that allows me to get maximum casting distance. I prefer a heavy, fast. You really need some power for those deep water hook sets. As for the reel, I like a 6.2:1 gear ratio. That seems to be the right one for me. And the line, I like 16 pound Sunline Shooter.
Posted By: Stew

Re: Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 06:09 PM

I like a big swim bait rod like the TFO Mag H. I generally crawl the bait along the bottom, but I still prefer a high speed reel. I give it a twitch with the rod to get the blades turning and reel just fast enough to keep them turning. There aren't many bites that feel more violent than a deep spinner bait bite.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 07:46 PM

I use a old school set up, 7'All-star CRC rod and a old Lews BB1N cranking reel 4.3:1 with 15 flouro
Posted By: cob

Re: Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 08:10 PM

Fished 1-1/2 oz Ledgebusters on Ray Roberts 15- 18 years ago. Took a while to get it dialed in. Fishin 25-35 ft used G Loomis 844 rod Chronarch 5 to 1 reel and ( most important ) at least 50 lb braid. Hard way to get it done but workable.
Posted By: hornet527

Re: Best set up for Fishing a Big Spinner Bait in Deep Water - 08/18/17 08:29 PM

ive thrown a 1 oz bait with a 7'6" rod , a ABU 5500 c and 50 # power pro on amistad and had great luck with it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum