Texas Fishing Forum

How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait?

Posted By: Thor Outdoors

How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 03:32 PM

I always love throwing this bait I just feel like I don't get the opportunity to throw it as much as I like. I know the basics of where and when to throw it , shad spawn, overcast & windy conditions, prespawn etc. Just curious when do y'all throw it and how often?
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 03:37 PM

I don't throw it near as much as I should, spring mainly for me.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 03:45 PM

Every trip, regardless of time of year. There are probably at least 30 different baits in my box and I have another small box that holds blades and other parts so that I can change it up as I think I need to.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 03:56 PM

Great bait, little fanfare
I always have one tied on
Posted By: buda13

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 04:21 PM

Usually have one on the deck. Don't rule out those big ole 1 oz spinnerbaits on the lakes that fish deeper this time of year, slowrolling a big blade can load the boat!
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 04:41 PM

Like others have said, I always have one on the deck, and fish it every time I'm on the water.
Posted By: Resh

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 04:54 PM

Up north I fish it every time out, down here it seems a squarebill will outfish a spinnerbait 5:1 in the same areas I don't have any texas mojo with it!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 04:59 PM

Any time I feel like I can get a reaction strike or keep it in the zone where fish are. Some years it's a whole lot and some it's hardly at all
Posted By: CCTX

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 05:29 PM

Windy/cloudy and,or muddy/murky I'm throwing it.

Lakes where there's lots of open areas with sparse cover and bass herding baitfish.

Some lakes it's all I throw, and there's other lakes(usually very clear lakes) where I can't buy a bite on one.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 05:39 PM

Always tied on and it gets used every trip! Hit every piece of cover I can see and then sometimes just throwing in between targets to cover water. I keep it simple mainly using a 2 willowleaf blade combo and just carry a few different color skirts to match bream or shad whatever I am seeing the most of. And I always use a trailer hook!!
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 05:49 PM

I throw one year round. It's my favorite bait to throw and if I can catch fish on it, then I won't put it down. I know that's bad but that's the way I'm wired. Haha.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 06:47 PM

I used to always have one tied on but I have gotten into the chatterbait and swim jig lately and all have produced. I have caught 3 around 6 lbs in the last couple of months. Caught a 6 on a white spinner bait, a 5.13 on a chatterbait and a 5.12 on a swim jig.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 07:13 PM

Every trip. My favorites are grass edges and through scattered grass and where it shines the most for me is wind blown grass banks, points, edges. It's hard fishing sometimes with the wind blowing you in like that but I've had some great days. The shallow anchors have made that so much easier that I can't use words to describe how awesome they are in those situations.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 07:15 PM

More in the Spring and Fall.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 07:15 PM

Any time I'm fishing less than 5ft one is tied on. Never really used them out deep much but just don't seem to get chance to really utilize them that way
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 07:22 PM

Only at night slow rolling. To big a hassle for me to figure out blades, blade colors, weight, body color. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 07:33 PM

Never
Posted By: Phototex

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 08:35 PM

Always have one tied on and use at least one MOST every trip. I especially enjoy 'waking' a small, willowleaf H&H just under the surface over weed beds. Caught my 3 biggest smallmouth (all over 5 lbs) by slow-rolling a 1/2 oz black (skirt, blade, and trailer) single spin at night up in eastern Washington.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 08:54 PM

Not Enough, Around grass when they won't hit a top water,deep water ledges or dead of winter.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
Only at night slow rolling. To big a hassle for me to figure out blades, blade colors, weight, body color. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I've won a lot of money on a spinnerbait, I've always got time for that.
It's not rocket science, grab a white or chart/white with a Gold primary willow and a Colorado chrome and go to work. That combination will catch fish 80% of the time.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 09:39 PM

I've been known to TIE One On, every chance I get.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 09:44 PM

Haha Donald "I think I always TIE one on" I crash the spinnerbait through brush, on rocks whatever. Love me some spinnerbait action!
Posted By: logan.chadwell

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/18/17 10:19 PM

when i feel like it
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 12:11 AM

Spinner what?
Posted By: Robert lv Jones

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 02:13 AM

Better to throw it in morning and evening when fish come to surface.
Posted By: Texas9

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 04:57 AM

every single trip..day or night... any time of year.

one lure for the rest of my bass fishing life I would have to choose a spinnerbait.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 05:39 AM

I have them, I just don't throw them much. It seems I get bit a LOT more on a chatterbait or swim jig. It's a confidence deal and I don't have much in the blade
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 12:51 PM

A whole lot......
Posted By: Cole P

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 06:09 PM

Gotta have some heavier spinnerbaits ( 1 Oz + ) for getting out there deep too.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 06:33 PM

Primarily spring time and summer schooling fish. Tough to fool them any other time on these Centex clear water lakes.
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 07:14 PM

I like to fish em mostly when the water has a little color to it. I really like to customize mine right out of the box. I will paint the blades white for situations when I need to mimic shad. I also will Paint half of the gold blades a dark green or brown For situations when I need to mimic bream. For night fishing I like a spinner bait with black blades. I really think the almighty spinner bait is a all year lure. From slow rolling it during the coldest days in the winter to slow rolling it through stump filled creek and river channels in the hot summer. It will catch em!
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 08:31 PM

As a rule in colder water. February, March,April,October & November. The warmer months square bill tends to outfish the blade.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: How often do y'all throw a spinnerbait? - 08/19/17 08:49 PM

The bass at Fork can not only tell you what brand of spinner bait you're throwing but where you bought it and how much you paid for it. Very little those bass haven't seen. If you've got any old baits that you used back in the early 90's try them again, they've probably forgot what they looked like. Chrome mudbugs were working great back then.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum