Texas Fishing Forum

Do to yourself molds???

Posted By: skeeter08

Do to yourself molds??? - 08/18/17 01:55 PM

I am looking into doing my own jig molds and swim bait setups. I am looking at the molds and equipment from Barlows tackle, just wondering if anybody on here ever bought anything from there. And any advice on making my own jigs and swimbait heads would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Do to yourself molds??? - 08/18/17 02:21 PM

Just left Barlows for some new split ring pliers. If you live in the area I suggest going up there. They keep a lot of stuff in the back but the staff seems to be very helpful and willing to help.
Posted By: squib

Re: Do to yourself molds??? - 08/18/17 04:00 PM

I have multiple Do-It Molds and pour jigs, spinnerbaits, etc. For most people, I think it is best to just have someone pour the heads for you and then let you bend the wire, paint, insert weed guards etc. You can get raw poured heads pretty cheap.

If you get into the whole process from the start, you have to buy the molds, the melting pot, ladles, and then find lead, which isn't cheap anymore. The upfront costs are significant unless you are going to pour hundreds.

I am glad to help if I can. The lead pouring part is no fun. The bending, painting, etc part is great. Let someone else do the crappy part.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Do to yourself molds??? - 08/18/17 05:20 PM

I have ordered from Barlow's before. No problems there.

You do have to pour quite a few lures to reach an economy of scale, but I still prefer making my own stuff. I haven't poured plastics and don't plan to, but the jig molds are pretty easy. My one recommendation, and others might disagree, is to just get yourself a basic melting pot and pour your molds with a ladle. I bought a melting pot with a bottom dispenser. It doesn't work very well and I pour everything with a ladle now. The jig heads come out much cleaner because the lead is much hotter when it is poured in the mold. Instead of dispensing the lead into the mold through the melting pot valve you can pour the mold full instantly.
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: Do to yourself molds??? - 08/18/17 05:27 PM

Cruise the gun forums and facebook and you can usually pick up a used pot for cheap. Temperature is everything, once that's figured out you can make some nice stuff.
Posted By: Fishmounter

Re: Do to yourself molds??? - 08/19/17 01:30 PM

Barlows is great. I have many molds from them. I really enjoy making my own lures, jigs and weights.
Like fly tying it's a great hobby for a cold rainy day.
Also you can sell some to other guys to offset costs.
Netcraft is another supplier but I get most of my stuff from Barlows.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum