Texas Fishing Forum

Best week of the year to catch bass?

Posted By: speedboat

Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 01:13 PM

I'm looking to schedule a week of vacation for next year and spend it on LBJ. My primary goal will be to catch some bass and then to catch some crappie/whites/cats for a fish fry. What week of the year should i choose? Should i care about the moon phase? Appreciate the feedback!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 01:33 PM

It will take several different guides to answer your question with authority. Each of these species has their best month for you to be there in the Spring. Consulting a guide for each species will bring it all together for you to choose that week when a little bit of each will be still be going on at LBJ.

Of course each of your species mentioned can be caught all through the Spring months; But only the specific guides keep up with the secret holes to catch fish when it is just outside of that window when they are easier for the general fisherman to catch them all over the lake. You may find that the Parks and Wildlife report on how the different species are biting to be very helpful as they rate them Good - Fair - Poor for each species.
Some lake websites are better than others in giving these reports and updating them weekly as it all depends on how closely they work with the guides to give you an accurate report.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 01:36 PM

My suggestion would be early Spring as the fish start to migrate into creek arms looking for shallower water and they're feeding quite a big. Or early Summer when most fish are beginning to migrate out of those creek arms and spawning areas, ready to eat again and recover from the spawn.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 01:47 PM

This week is the best week. And today is the best day. Tell yourself this everyday.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: speedboat
I'm looking to schedule a week of vacation for next year and spend it on LBJ. My primary goal will be to catch some bass and then to catch some crappie/whites/cats for a fish fry. What week of the year should i choose? Should i care about the moon phase? Appreciate the feedback!

Mar. 31, 2018 @ 7:37 AM

Sorry I can't be more specific but it is not as easy as it looks to accurately predict, weather, water temp, wind speed & direction a year in advance.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 04:37 PM

third week of October
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 04:43 PM

For LBJ, I would say any week in February or March. Depending on when you go, it could be a tad bit crowded on the weekends with fisherman pre-fishing for TTZ or BassChamps, but it's not too bad. Fall can be a good time of year on LBJ too; I'd say October or November.

That lake gets tough during the Summer because the fish really get in concentrated deep areas and become tough to catch. Pleasure boaters are pretty bad during that time too, but they don't bother me.

If you wanna catch whites, wait until dark, head into the river and fish the dock lights. Throw a small swimbait in there. You'll limit out in no time.

I don't fish for crappie or catfish, so I'm no help there. I do know that crappie fishing can be tough there, but if you know where to look you can get right in a hurry.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 05:01 PM

the week before you go on vacation or the week after you get back..............
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: bloo_rainger
the week before you go on vacation or the week after you get back..............

EXACTLY...
clap
Posted By: speedboat

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 05:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback Gents, I think i will probably schedule vacay for a non-spring break week in March.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 05:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback Gents, I think i will probably schedule vacay for a non-spring break week in March.

that's the perfect time
Posted By: Chet

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 05:49 PM

1st two weeks in April.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 06:05 PM

If you don't want to go during Spring then wail until October or November.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Best week of the year to catch bass? - 08/17/17 06:15 PM

Keep in mind, scheduling a week right now for next spring can be a disaster. You never know the weather and how much rain or wind may affect your week. Colder winter & spring temps could push everything back 1-3 weeks depending on severity. March is probably the best month though.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum