Texas Fishing Forum

drop shot help

Posted By: tin man 55

drop shot help - 08/16/17 07:44 PM

I see and hear about everyone catching bass on drop shots, and while I know the setup, I have no confidence in it. I rig up a rod, throw it for about 15 minutes, and then put it on the bottom of the pile. I know that I need to just use it, catch some fish, and get some confidence; but I just can't seem to do it. maybe I need to leave all the other rods at home and just take one. I do have some questions; thanks for any answers that you can help me with.

1. a lot of folks talk about using a small hook, like a size 2 or 4, but most of my fishing is on Fork, so is that appropriate for Fork?

2. I see a lot in my reading about nose hooking the worm; but with all the brush in Fork, is that how to do it? or Texas rig it?

3. what size weight do you use? seems to me that if you use a 1/2 - 1 ounce wait for a Carolina rig, that it would work OK for a drop shot? right or wrong?

4. I read a little about this - have you ever used a jig for the weight at the end of the line?

5. if you could only use one bait for 10+ feet of water, what would it be?

thanks for any info; I'm really wanting to catch my first fish on a drop shot. an old guy trying to learn a new trick.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: drop shot help - 08/16/17 07:54 PM

I've done it a time or two on Fork, maybe I can help.

Yes, the only way to get good with it and gain confidence in it is to put all other rods away and just work on that technique.

As far as gear goes, on Fork and anywhere else, #1 hook, and I fish finesse worms t-rigged. 3/16 pinch/cylinder weights shallow and 1/4 deep/or windy days. I like the Finch Nasty weights.

Hope it helps bud.
Posted By: woolyhogtail

Re: drop shot help - 08/16/17 08:04 PM

What sinkey said. Zoom finesse worn and you will get bit. I use it a lot on fork, landed fish up to 8 pds and lost bigger ones. Don't think those big girls won't bite a small bait cause they will!
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: drop shot help - 08/16/17 08:06 PM

i feel your pain.

i wasn't able to stick with a drop shot much either..

had a friend of mine go with me one day... told myself.. the drop shot is the ticket for the day.. made
myself throw it the largest percentage..
like you said.. might wanna lock up all the other rods and just throw it all day.

p.s. i did finally catch one on a drop shot. a whoppin 1.5 lb'er...lol

good luck.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: drop shot help - 08/16/17 08:09 PM

1. a lot of folks talk about using a small hook, like a size 2 or 4, but most of my fishing is on Fork, so is that appropriate for Fork?

The reason proponents of really small hooks use #2s and #4s is those hooks drag through the mouth of the fish and are so small and sharp, they lodge in the fish's mouth right behind its teeth. Marc Marcantonio, a west coat angler, is big on small hooks. But, "drop shot" or "down shot" just means shot or weight below the hook. You can use a 5/0 if you like with a bigger bait.

2. I see a lot in my reading about nose hooking the worm; but with all the brush in Fork, is that how to do it? or Texas rig it?

KVD hooks a worm or plastic under what would be the chin and pulls it up but not out of what would be the nose. Be sure, if you do it this way to hook it very close to the end to leave some room on tiny hooks for the fish to "bite down" on it.

3. what size weight do you use? seems to me that if you use a 1/2 - 1 ounce wait for a Carolina rig, that it would work OK for a drop shot? right or wrong?

1/4 to 3/8s cylindricals are popular . . . but it really makes no difference. You are going to reel up the slack on your line and leave it just a tad loose. When the fish bites the worm, floating like a flag, you have a direct connection. It'd make a big difference on a Texas Rig where a big weight is between you and the fish and its bite, but not on a drop shot.

4. I read a little about this - have you ever used a jig for the weight at the end of the line?

As soon as you know the fish are on the bottom or a foot to three feet up, do one or the other.

If you mean one bait for a drop shot, it'd be a roboworm for a majority of anglers who use it for catching bass.

Brad
Posted By: bush hog

Re: drop shot help - 08/16/17 10:24 PM

Drop shots are a blast to use on bottom structure (drop offs, humps, etc..). I haven't used them much around timber or brush. Since the bait is between you and the weight, if you feel anything at your rod tip it's probably a fish. I have not ever used a jig for my weight but I do T-rig a worm or use a shaky head on the bottom. That way you're offering two different baits at two different depths. Probably 8 out of 10 times though they will bite the upper bait. However, this rig may not be legal if you're a tourney fisherman. I nose hook or t-rig the drop shot bait depending if I keep getting hung up or not. Both ways work fine.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: drop shot help - 08/16/17 10:27 PM

#1 hook 4 to 5 inch nose hooked bait. It catches a lot of fish, small and big.

Mostly use 3/16 oz weight or 1/4 if windy or deep.
Posted By: Resh

Re: drop shot help - 08/16/17 10:30 PM

I actually drop shot quite a bit, it's my go to for catching numbers. I use what everyone else does probably 7' MH spinning rod, 20lb braid with 6-8' of 10ish lb floro as leader. I use a 1 or 1/0 hook most of the time and a finesse worm and sometimes a baby brush hog both texas rigged. 1/4 oz weight unless it's super windy.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: drop shot help - 08/16/17 11:58 PM

Most important thing is use a heavy enough weight to stay in contact with the bottom, and use a short leader as in 12", most people use too long of a leader, you really can't use too big of a weight. In clear water use a plum colored worm.
Posted By: Rob Matthews

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 01:28 AM

This is what I use. I use 15 pound braid main line to a 8 pound fluro leader that's about 6 feet long. Since I fish alot of lakes with brush too I use the roboworm rebarb hooks in the medium size shank in a 1/0-2/0. I use primarily the 6 inch roboworms and texas rig it with a 3/16 and 1/4 for deep.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 01:51 AM

Nose hook that Zoom finesse worm (tomato or redbug shad) on a sz.1 owner rig,n hook 14" up from a cylinder type 1/4-3/8 weight. On 8 lb.flouro or mono. Either one. And Fork is the best for drop shotting.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 01:56 AM

Next time you find some fish startvthrowing it. Don't try a new technique when it's tough and your not catching anything. I do what Rob said except I use a little bigger line. They make a swivel hook just like a ewg that you can rig seedless for brush piles and such. The weight gets hung the most
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 04:03 AM

My .02 worth. I use a 1/0 hook for smaller baits and a 3/9 EWG hook for bigger baits. No problems hooking up or anything. Make sure they are SHARP!!!!!!!!!

2. There is a TON of brush in Alan Henry and I ALWAYS Texas rig it. If I am fishing oopen water, I would nose hook it, but VERY LITTLE open water in Fork or Alan Henry.

3. I use a 1/4 oz. cylinder weight and 3/8s when it is windy.

4. I use jigs on my drop shot as the weight MOST of the time. Normally a 3/8s or a shakey head weighted jig. Works wonders for schooling fish and finicky bites.

5. I use 4 and 5" senkos for MOST of my drop shots. If not them, then a trick worm, very seldom do I scale down to a finesse worm. Big and little fish bite it. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 11:33 AM

Pm me,
I'd be willing to take you out and catch some drop shot fish.
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 02:34 PM

this is a good thread
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 02:36 PM

Following
Posted By: JoeyC

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 03:57 PM

Dropshot is my go to if I have to put fish in the boat.

I use typically a 1 or 1/0 hook depending on bait. Haven't had any issues landing 5 pounders.

I do the nose hook where you come in through the bottom of the bait 1/8 inch or so and pull the point through the middle towards the nose but leave it in the bait and not exposed. If I'm around really snaggy stuff then texas rig.

Normally using a 1/4 weight and 3/8 if its windy. Teardrop shape if I can get away with it otherwise cylinder style.

Haven't tried the jig as the weight.

Roboworm. I throw the 6" 90% of the time in the fat and regular versions.
Posted By: RBO

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 04:54 PM

Good thread...

It seems like I use DS more and more, especially in summer and winter. Rarely do I go out now without it on the deck. When they won't seem to eat a T-rig or C-rig, I pick up the Drop Shot and go vertical.

I fish it mostly in and around crappie brush and ledges in 18-30 feet, so this setup may be different than those fishing clean bottom...

Reel, Spinning, 2000 series or equivalent. High speed, smooth drag, large spool. Line comes off easier than small spools.

Rod, Medium light/Medium, 6'10" - 7'.

I used a baitcaster for awhile until I figured out that most bites come on the initial drop. The spinning set up gets it down quicker when you see them on the graph. The high speed reel gets it back up more quickly so you can drop again. It's alot like flipping grass or bushes in that respect.

20# Hi Vis Yellow Sunline braid with 10# Sunline Shooter 6' leader. Alberto braid to leader connection. I've had back to back uni pull loose a couple of times. FG is good, but harder to tie correctly. Especially in the wind, on the water, on the fly, with old eyes. Never had the Alberto break at the knot.

I've used all the different "Drop Shot" specific hooks out there. My best hook up ratio by far is with the light wire, straight shank, Rebarb hooks. 2/0 - 3/0. Standard Robo worm gets 2/0, Fat Robo and 6" Big Bite worms get 3/0. Texas rigged. I try to go in and come out as close to the nose as possible, leaving the eye exposed. I did the nose hook exposed, and back to the nose but inside the worm, deal for awhile with the small hooks. Caught plenty of Spots and small LM, but the bigger fish seemed to spin the hook during the fight. Lost some giants at the surface. Now I exclusively use the Rebarb. Got to play with the new Owner Cover Shot hook some this summer. I'll be using it once it's available.

Baits. Roboworm. Aaron's Magic, Plum Berry, Bold Gill. Fat Straight some, mostly standard Robo. Big Bite Shaking Squirrel. Kreit's Magic, Bold Gill, Sunrise, both 4" and 6"

Weight about a 8" to 1.5' below the hook. Depends on where I see the fish on the graph. 1/4 - 3/8. Teardrop or cylinder, tungsten.

If there's one tip I can give, it's this. Don't set the hook. Just lift a little when you feel pressure. If he's not on there drop back down. Follow ups are common. Once you know you're hooked up, tug a couple of times. Kinda like you see salt water guys do offshore. With the small, sharp, light wire hooks, the fish will normally set itself. I've seen guys with me miss multiple fish, break off, hang up, etc, etc. The less you pull the easier they are to get away from the brush.

Posted By: tin man 55

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 05:54 PM

Wow, thanks so much for everyone's tips and tricks. I'm headed to Fork on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning to give this a try. I think I already have all the tackle, except for the line. I think the lightest line I have is 15, but most of you are saying that you use a lighter line (or a leader with lighter line). on a lake like fork, with big fish and lots of brush and not so clear water, is it vital to use the lighter line? can the fish really see the 10# vs 15# or 20#? or do most use the lighter line for some other reason?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 05:56 PM

Lighter line better bait action. I use 15 lb yellow braid and 10 lb fluorocarbon
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: drop shot help - 08/17/17 07:35 PM

I drop shot a lot.. have caught fish up to 6.5lbs on Joe Pool. I use Gamakatsu 1/0 Split Shot Drop Shot hooks, palomar knot to the hook with about a foot to 14" of tag line left from the knot. Feed the tag line back through the hook eye from the side toward the barb.. this will make sure that the hook stays with the point of the hook pointing vertical. I have pretty much settled on 3/8oz ball weights because of the Texas wind. If I could get out of it, 1/4 oz works well too. Just about any soft plastic can be used for drop shotting.. I like Zoom Finesse, Zoom Trick and Robo worms. You can rig them nose hooked, texas rigged, or wacky.. they all catch fish.. but I think the nose hook offers the best action on the bait with wacky being a close 2nd. Colors.. in Zoom baits. I like Houdini or something that looks like it. Green basic color with gold, black, red.. glitter. My best alternate color would be red shad. Robo's.. morning dawn is good.. Aaron's Magic, etc. I use a Skeet Reese Drop Shot rod.. its a 6'10" rod that I think best described would be a medium or medium light/heavy. It had a really sensitive tip but a good bit of backbone. I just upgraded my reel to a 40 series Pflueger President based on some comments by KVD.. I use 30lb Stren Super Braid for main line and Segaur Invivix 12lb florocarbon leader. I join the braid to the leader with the Alberto knot.. and I use about 10-12' of leader.. because I do get hung up a lot and by using the longer leader I don't have to change it as often when I break off at the hook. The Alberto knot casts great as you can trim the tag ends very close to the knot. The key is keeping the weight on the bottom and at the same time..feeling the resistance of the weight. Shaking the bait while you feel the weight is the key to drop shot fishing IMO. One of the more common bites is when the fish takes the bait and swims either toward you or up in the water column.. you will feel nothing.. and that is the key.. you have to reel quickly to catch up with the fish before he drops the worm.. other strikes run the range of almost pulling the rod out of your hand to the more common it just feels heavy.. you don't just feel the resistance of the weight.. but something heavier on the end. It take times to develop the feel of the bait when no fish is there vs the feel when there is a fish on the end. Good luck with your learning experience.
BD
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: drop shot help - 08/18/17 02:00 AM

I drop shot with a baitcaster quite a bit on Fork. Here is my set up...6ft9in Drop shot rod made by Reel Time rods there @ Popes Landing on Fork. Shimano Curado 50E reel, 12# Invizx fluorocarbon line, 1/0 Owner Rigging hook and I Texpose the worm because I fish it around a lot of timber at Fork. I use a 1/4 oz. Finch Nasty brand of drop shot weight (because they are the best). Other brands do not stay put on the line as well so you have to tie them on which is not what they were designed for. This set up works very well. You don't need micro hooks or micro line when you are fishing Fork. Fish at Fork are strong and there is a lot of timber to get hung up in and they know where all of it is.

I mostly use Zoom finesse worms, Strike King KVD finesse worms (not fat finesse), Berkley Havoc finesse, and Netbait finesse worms.
Robo worms are good also but you will go through a lot of those because of how soft they are.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: drop shot help - 08/18/17 12:34 PM

This toad was caught Wednesday at Fork off of a brush pile.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: drop shot help - 08/18/17 05:19 PM

Yes it was!
Posted By: Phototex

Re: drop shot help - 08/18/17 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: tin man 55
I see and hear about everyone catching bass on drop shots, and while I know the setup, I have no confidence in it. I rig up a rod, throw it for about 15 minutes, and then put it on the bottom of the pile. I know that I need to just use it, catch some fish, and get some confidence; but I just can't seem to do it. maybe I need to leave all the other rods at home and just take one. I do have some questions; thanks for any answers that you can help me with.

Yes, in SOME places. In Fork's timber, I'll upsize to a 2/0. In the REALLY thick wood or grass, I'll up to a 4/0 or 5/0. See Donald Harper's drop shot threads: good stuff.

"Texpose" the hook.

I haven't found the weight to be all that important, except for getting your lure to the bottom more quickly. I use whatever is cheapest - you lose a lot of weights.

No.

Roboworm or 4" lizard

thanks for any info; I'm really wanting to catch my first fish on a drop shot. an old guy trying to learn a new trick.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum