Texas Fishing Forum

I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now

Posted By: patriot07

I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 01:01 PM

Took the family out to Tawakoni a couple weeks ago (thanks for all the responses on my boat ramp thread) and we had a real nice time. When we got home, my wife asked, "I know your 17-foot boat has been fine for you or you and a partner fishing, but it's a little small for all four of us. What would you think about getting a bigger boat sometime in the next few years?" Without missing a beat, I responded, "I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now."

Any of you guys get a thumbs up from the wife on a boat purchase? Or did you have to fight to get a rig upgrade? Or does your wife still think you have that 1995 Ranger because she doesn't know the difference between it and the 2010 Skeeter in your garage?
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 01:09 PM

My wife tried to get me to take home a brand new Phoenix from the classic expo this year lol.
Posted By: jwinit

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 01:14 PM

You got a keeper there and also I like your strategy to get her to tell you to get a bigger boat my wife said I could but she want me to get a pontoon she thinks all boats are "fishing boats"
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 01:45 PM

During son's senior year in High School wife looks back at him in the Suburban and says " you make a 3.0 first year at A&M, you can take the boat back up with you for your sophomore year". Wait, wait, wait, WTH? That's my boat! "Well, it's about time for you to get a new one". Smartest woman in the world. If he wasn't studying I was studying for him! I kept the pressure on, and she didn't worry. Yes, I got my boat, and he got his. She's a genius.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 01:51 PM

I've always bought used in the 20K to 30K range, my wife kept egging me on to buy a brand new one ... well I finally did and I regret it. It didn't take long at all for my new boat to have the same scratches and imperfections as the 20K to 30K used ones I've had
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 02:01 PM

Bigger is always better. Ask any wife.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 02:20 PM

When I was in the boat market a few years ago, I looked for a used boat for 3-4 months. Was looking to stay in the #15k-$20k price range, but just wasn't finding the one. Took my wife to Fun N Sun to look at a couple of used boats, and at her urging, walked out with a brand new Skeeter.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 02:41 PM

I know it sounds selfish but I have handled most all of any major purchases in our family, she really just stands behind what I think, and I am very lucky. Oh if she wants a new car she may run it by me but no matter what I think she will buy it if she wants it, she says " I make money too "
Posted By: rmorris

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 03:04 PM

I paid off my old ranger and told my wife I wanted to do some updating. Carpet, electronics and trolling motor. She told me that she would not let me put money into an older boat. She was like just go get a new one. When mamma says go buy a nice new toy I did no arguing.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 03:09 PM

"you had me at bigger" clap
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 03:44 PM

I was going to finance my last boat. After test drive and deciding it was what we wanted, my wife told me that we had the money in the bank so we should just pay cash so there would be more money for fishing.
This year, she told me that as much as I fished I needed warranty on my motor so we sold the old one and bought a new one with warranty. Rarely is there an issue with fishing purchases.
Posted By: 9094

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Bryan O'
During son's senior year in High School wife looks back at him in the Suburban and says " you make a 3.0 first year at A&M, you can take the boat back up with you for your sophomore year". Wait, wait, wait, WTH? That's my boat! "Well, it's about time for you to get a new one". Smartest woman in the world. If he wasn't studying I was studying for him! I kept the pressure on, and she didn't worry. Yes, I got my boat, and he got his. She's a genius.

That is a good deal for a 3.0. I told my daughter she could have a new beamer if she graduated with a 4.0.
Dang it she did too. But worth it.
Cool thing is you got a new boat.
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 04:51 PM

I don't worry what she wants and buy what I want. I work hard for my money to let someone else tell me what to do with it.

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Crankalot
I don't worry what she wants and buy what I want. I work hard for my money to let someone else tell me what to do with it.
I don't begrudge anyone with that attitude. But I'd be single if I operated that way at my house...single with half my money.

Originally Posted By: 9094

That is a good deal for a 3.0. I told my daughter she could have a new beamer if she graduated with a 4.0.
Agreed, that's a heck of a deal, and Bryan's wife is a genius. Congrats to both of your kiddos on working hard towards a goal. I think that's the true purpose of college - to prove to potential employers that you're capable of doing moderately difficult work for years to achieve a goal that isn't immediately in front of you til the very end.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I've always bought used in the 20K to 30K range, my wife kept egging me on to buy a brand new one ... well I finally did and I regret it. It didn't take long at all for my new boat to have the same scratches and imperfections as the 20K to 30K used ones I've had
I agree 100% that the $25k range is a sweet spot for value in the bass boat market. You got a lot more boat than those spending $15k and not much less boat than those spending $35k. I would probably not consider any new boat. I'd be looking in the $20k range in a year or two.

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
I know it sounds selfish but I have handled most all of any major purchases in our family, she really just stands behind what I think, and I am very lucky. Oh if she wants a new car she may run it by me but no matter what I think she will buy it if she wants it, she says " I make money too "
My wife and I are the same way, except she doesn't even really buy her own cars. She gives me a set of wants/needs and I go find the best value I can and she drives it without complaining at all. I was the one who set up a lot of our house build 5 years ago and I'm the one handling pretty much any purchase over a few hundred bucks. We each try to get most of what we want and compromise on the rest. Works for us, as our 10-year anniversary is coming up this October.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 06:05 PM

It's never crossed my mind to discuss what boat I buy with her nor her mind to ask or offer up input

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: Crankalot
I don't begrudge anyone with that attitude. But I'd be single if I operated that way at my house...single with half my money.

Originally Posted By: 9094

Agreed, that's a heck of a deal, and Bryan's wife is a genius. Congrats to both of your kiddos on working hard towards a goal. I think that's the true purpose of college - to prove to potential employers that you're capable of doing moderately difficult work for years to achieve a goal that isn't immediately in front of you til the very end.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I agree 100% that the $25k range is a sweet spot for value in the bass boat market. You got a lot more boat than those spending $15k and not much less boat than those spending $35k. I would probably not consider any new boat. I'd be looking in the $20k range in a year or two.

My wife and I are the same way, except she doesn't even really buy her own cars. She gives me a set of wants/needs and I go find the best value I can and she drives it without complaining at all. I was the one who set up a lot of our house build 5 years ago and I'm the one handling pretty much any purchase over a few hundred bucks. We each try to get most of what we want and compromise on the rest. Works for us, as our 10-year anniversary is coming up this October.

37 years in September for me
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 07:25 PM

My wife has been bugging me the last few years to buy a new BassCat. The '08 Cougar is still doing good and she picked that one out .
Posted By: barbarian

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 07:41 PM

I'm the tight wad in our family and usually tighter on myself than everybody else. Was having motor problems on another 20 year old boat/motor this spring. I was in a bad mood 1 day and she asked why. I said last 3 times out, I had to be towed in or troll in. She simply said, we've worked too hard, too long, pinched too much and are looking good - go buy a new one while you are healthy enough (just turned 50) to enjoy it. I always knew i could, just wouldn't. But she made sense and off shopping I went. I didn't tell her what new ones cost until deal was done though. Lol. Still couldn't make myself buy new, but I bought a ''like new' 2017. Should've done it years ago.
Posted By: atisch12

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/16/17 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog
My wife tried to get me to take home a brand new Phoenix from the classic expo this year lol.

Which one did you have your eye on?
Posted By: fivebites

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/17/17 01:11 AM

THAT DOES IT! I'm upgrading. To a new WIFE!

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/17/17 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: fivebites

LOL
Posted By: kevine80

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/17/17 02:12 AM

does she have a sister that likes tall skinny white guys ! ????

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/17/17 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
Oddly enough, her sister is actually getting married next month to a tall skinny white guy who loves to fish. So you've got about 36 days if you want to make your case. smile

ETA: She's gorgeous and makes about $100k a year in sales, so it might be worth your time! Fair warning: she's a bit high maintenance (and by a bit, I'm understating things...a lot). But she'd probably let you buy whatever boat you want.

Believe me, those are never words I thought I would hear from my wife, ever.

Congrats! That's awesome.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/17/17 01:14 PM

I talked my wife into buying an 18ft aluminum boat. I fell out of it twice, and since I was 67 at the time, she said , "why Don't you see about trading it in on a bigger and more stable boat?" Gee, why didn't I think of that! Now, I own a 21' skeeters rigged out, and a wife of 46 years that I dearly love
Life is short enough to not have the toys that you want.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now - 08/17/17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: kevine80
Oddly enough, her sister is actually getting married next month to a tall skinny white guy who loves to fish. So you've got about 36 days if you want to make your case. smile

ETA: She's gorgeous and makes about $100k a year in sales, so it might be worth your time! Fair warning: she's a bit high maintenance (and by a bit, I'm understating things...a lot). But she'd probably let you buy whatever boat you want.

Believe me, those are never words I thought I would hear from my wife, ever.

Congrats! That's awesome.
ALL I NEED IS A LOCATION !
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum