Texas Fishing Forum

Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale?

Posted By: Bahala

Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 03:42 PM

As I'm shopping for a boat I see a lot of 1-2 year old boats for sale. Most of these seem to be folks upgrading to a bigger or brand new boat. Is there a financing deal they are taking advantage of to stay in a new boat or what?
Posted By: DJB

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 03:54 PM

We don't finance or buy new boats on the TFF.........
Posted By: snickers

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 03:57 PM

Trump is making America great again
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 04:15 PM

Some Guides and Tournament anglers get a new boat every year. In some cases the boat deal they have requires them to take a new one each year. Also some contingency money is only for newer boats.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 04:36 PM

Majority would be Pro Staff/sponsor deals.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 05:11 PM

I thought everyone paid cash for a new boat every year. It's just those $13 Yellow Magics that are totally ridiculous.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 05:16 PM

As stated above Pro Staff deals want you to move that boat every year or two. Cannot promote a 2 year old boat that is no longer on the market. They want you showing and selling what is available at that time/that year model.
Posted By: Bahala

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 05:23 PM

Makes sense. Thanks guys.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 05:46 PM

At some point these guys dropping boats ever year or two are going to get stuck with them. Prices are just getting too ridiculous.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 05:49 PM

Repos lol
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/13/17 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ko bass attack 27
I thought everyone paid cash for a new boat every year. It's just those $13 Yellow Magics that are totally ridiculous.

roflmao
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/14/17 12:08 AM

Because you have a bunch of "pros" who need new boats every year to compete in their local derbies. Can't catch fish unless you run at least a $60k boat.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/14/17 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Josh Seale
Because you have a bunch of "pros" who need new boats every year to compete in their local derbies. Can't catch fish unless you run at least a $60k boat.

+1. Got to keep with the Jones
Posted By: BassMan5000

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/14/17 06:51 PM

Maybe they realize that $55 thousand for a new boat is hurting the pocket book..and they still don't catch anymore fish??
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/14/17 07:47 PM

I think a lot of guys get into them and realize they can't afford them. I have no problem with people buying what they want but the new boat prices are also causing used boat prices to go up, even boats in the 10 year old range. Lots of guys asking more than what they are worth.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/14/17 07:57 PM

i used to wonder the same thing when i started bass fishing 8 yrs ago out of a 8k boat wishing for a newer one. it all boils down to disposable income. there are a ton of folks in texas that have a ton of money. simple and plain,plain snd simple.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/14/17 07:59 PM

If trading a boat every couple of years is common, whew, you ought to see how quickly some kayakers flip theirs. Over on Facebook, there are kayaks for sale right now in the D/FW area that were purchased just weeks ago, many only taken out a time or two.

I think in this case, it is often that the buyers didn't demo the vessels, found out they weren't really what they wanted. And, something in the 1 to 3 grand price range is mentally and emotionally a lot easier to fix (take a small and quick loss) than it would be with a 20K to 80K bass boat I guess.

It likely reflects that something down in that price range, whip out a credit card, makes it more liable to be an impulsive buy. That is harder to do with a big bass boat.

We see it a lot with kayaks, for sure.

Brad
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/14/17 08:34 PM

Pro staff boats are the bulk of those.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/14/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher™
I think a lot of guys get into them and realize they can't afford them. I have no problem with people buying what they want but the new boat prices are also causing used boat prices to go up, even boats in the 10 year old range. Lots of guys asking more than what they are worth.

Actually one of the biggest contributors to the outrageous used boat prices is the recession we had back in '08. New boat sales virtually tanked for about 4-5 years. This created a shortage of used boats and gave what manufacturers that survived reason to jack up the prices of new boats. Toss in low interest long term loans and we'll be repeating the process in the next few years.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/14/17 10:44 PM

I just wish I could afford a 5yr old boat.....
Posted By: SK1

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 12:46 AM

Whatever happened to buying a new or like new used boat,paying it off and enjoying years of fishing out of a great boat that's paid for and lower insurance cost? And with all of the money you save from not having boat payments and high insurance,if by chance something breaks or wears out just replace that part or upgrade electronics,troll motor,big motor etc. Maybe its just me. Lots of people have more money than sense.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: SK1
Whatever happened to buying a new or like new used boat,paying it off and enjoying years of fishing out of a great boat that's paid for and lower insurance cost? And with all of the money you save from not having boat payments and high insurance,if by chance something breaks or wears out just replace that part or upgrade electronics,troll motor,big motor etc. Maybe its just me. Lots of people have more money than sense.

Lots of people still do that. We only see a small part of the people that fish on these websites. I plan on keeping mine for a long time,can't make any promises that will happen, but that's the plan. Really, with prices the way they are I could sell mine and not be to bad off on getting another one. Yea I would lose some money of course but it wouldn't be that bad. That could be what happens though. Maybe guys say, "well for another 40 or 50 a month I can sell mine and go new again". They keep doing that until they're maxed out.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 01:34 AM

I have my ole 202 Skeeter , don't plan on getting nother one , just pay for parts when it's broke , fish out it every chance I get . Buy tackle when ever I want to . Thought that's how you were supposed to do it .
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 04:50 AM

Friend at the bank say a lot are people trying to unload it so as to not ruin their credit when something happens that they cant pay for it, I asked her how many are successful and she said not many. eeks
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 10:45 AM

[quote=snickers]Trump is making America great again [/quote^

^^^ And your helping right ?
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 02:28 PM

i think one thing that happens is someone buys a 60k bass boat because when they did the math they could afford it. A year down the road this happens,that happens, and the old lady is pissed. better get rid of the boat before they lose the boat,house,401k,and her.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 02:55 PM

Pretty sure they're making their money back when they sell their basically brand new boat. Boats don't depreciate nearly as much as cars do. If you could just save up cash to buy one brand new boat, you could almost get a free boat every year

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 03:12 PM

Well I think they depreciate more and faster. Again I would tell you 80% of these are pro staff boats, sold at a discount, and pretty much sold for what they purchased it for.
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bissett
Pretty sure they're making their money back when they sell their basically brand new boat. Boats don't depreciate nearly as much as cars do. If you could just save up cash to buy one brand new boat, you could almost get a free boat every year

That's actually a very false statement. A boat depreciates way faster than a vehicle. You buy a 60-70k boat, the minute you put her in the water for the first time that boat isn't worth 55. You run it for a year and then decide to trade her in for another, you probably only actually paid maybe 5k of the principal. So now you owe 60-65. No boat that has been previously ran is worth that.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 08:52 PM

What planet are you from???
Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/15/17 09:13 PM

I know lots of year old boats still selling for north of 60k
Posted By: jafish

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/16/17 12:04 AM

I own my boat it doesn't own me.There are not many people that can actually afford a $70,000.00 toy that is plagued with deprecation. Add interest and the cost is much higher than 70 so why do we call it a $70,000 dollar boat? I would love to be able to have one but I'm one of the many that can't afford it. My hat is off to you that can afford one. I do good to buy new equipment for the old boat like my Ulterra and two helix 10 mega. That was enough to tap me out. My son and I split the cost so it was not that bad. So far I have never had a boat payment. Driving used boats that I actually out right own because I must but having a good time doing so. It's a no sweat way of life that I can afford and enjoy forever. The new boats are sure pretty and I like them.

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/16/17 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Dickenson
I know lots of year old boats still selling for north of 60k

That could be true, but you still lose money however you slice it. Lets say you buy a 65k boat and pay on it a year and sell it for 63k, you're still behind 2k plus whatever payments an gained interest you made and you do that over and over again it will catch pu to you, and it's not good for your credit.

I fished with with a guide on Fork who gets an gained new boat every year from Ranger, deal is he gets the boat well below what we pay. He said he is getting a 95k boat for about 50k, drives it a year and sells it for 70k. That's the only way you make money at it. He has a sponsorship deal with them.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/16/17 01:17 AM

I like your location Der Vorsteher......that 903!

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/16/17 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
I like your location Der Vorsteher......that 903!

Thanks, best area code if you love to fish.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/16/17 03:08 PM

How do folks know so much about other folks finances?

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/16/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher™
a 95k boat

Whose paying 95k for a Ranger? Even for a Ranger that is pretty high.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/16/17 03:43 PM

This thread is funny. Lots of ignorant people around this forum.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/17/17 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Looks like Oklahoma,
Posted By: jafish

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/17/17 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Oh please. Don't depreciate as much????? They tank just like cars. How can they cost that much with NO windows,a/c,heater,brakes and doors? How much bank interest do most of these 70K boats carry. I have been told one can get 15 are 20 year loans on them. I have had renters with nicer toys than I have and newer pickups.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Why so many 1-2 year old boats for sale? - 08/17/17 02:33 PM

lol maybe boats are more important that houses and vehicles in Oklahoma. when my 21 year old son came to me and asked what i thought about him buying a 50k charger. i told him he need to buy house first and get it paid for quickly and then worry about toys. he is 21 years old and can make anywhere from 60 to 100k a year. he has 1 year left on his truck payment and his part of the rent is $300. I told him 5 years of working and saving he could have enough to buy a 150k and not worry about a house payment. lets see if he will listen
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum