Texas Fishing Forum

Deep water points Question ?

Posted By: Ol'geezer

Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 01:04 PM

Went to Lavon yesterday found a point in 12' dropping into 16' - 20'each side
throwing 3/8 jig with craw trailer. I would throw on top drag off sides, keep feeling ticks would tear off pinchers on craw ( green pumpkin jig and pumpkin candy craw).
It was like they were nibbling and not eating it ?
tried different colors wouldn't even get bites
Any ideas what I could have done better
Thanks for any advice
Posted By: BigTex9

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 01:26 PM

When you drag it in front of the right kind, there won't be any nibbling. Probably just bluegills down there picking at it.
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 01:40 PM

I agree with BigTex, more than likely blue gill or crappie that are picking at it. You could have tried a carolina rig, DD22, or a 10" worm as well. All of those baits are good on points that you described. I would keep that waypoint because at some point throughout the day schools of bass will load up on that point. Just a timing issue.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 02:10 PM

Agree more then likely perch/blue gills pecking at it. You get bit off shore on a jig you will know they will knock 2ft of slack in your line.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 02:34 PM

Agree, smaller fish

Never hurts to drop a spoon down there just to see.
Posted By: jnogreen

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 02:41 PM

Sounds like you found a feeding area I would go a little deeper I'm sure bass are hanging around knowing they can get a snack.
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 02:52 PM

Sand bass. I have a rod with a little George on it. Whenever this happens, I get it out and usually immediately catch sandies.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 03:46 PM

I was fishing Lavon yesterday evening as well, on a point that sounds very similar to you Ol Geezer, there was definitely a school of sandies there, I caught a bunch of them on twist tail grubs. I've been looking for bass on that point and finally got a good one on an academy NCRD deep diver. I fished both on the hump casting to deeper water and bouncing back up the point and sitting in deeper water casting onto it and cranking down the slope. Only caught fish sitting shallower throwing deeper.

Interesting thought about trying to flats a little deeper around the point. Good spot for a C-Rig you think jnogreen?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 04:34 PM

A bunch of fish that bass eat. That means there are bass somewhere pretty close. Any of the baits above will work. It might take a while or you might have to check a few times throughout the day but they will get up there and feed. Throwing from the shallows to deep probably means the bass were suspended just off the point.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/09/17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Tracker Tim
Sand bass. I have a rod with a little George on it. Whenever this happens, I get it out and usually immediately catch sandies.

Yeppers. Throw all them sandies in a pan of hot grease or up on the rocks!
Posted By: jnogreen

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/10/17 12:23 AM

I concur... C rig, Tx rig, Crank Bait, slow roll a spinner bait, there's gotta be a bass or two hangin around waitin for an easy meal.
Posted By: stxrippinlips1

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/10/17 04:41 AM

Yep
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/10/17 04:59 PM

Most likely smaller fish or bluegill or sand bass.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/11/17 04:29 AM

Try that area at different times
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/11/17 02:26 PM

Try a more aggressive retrieve or a bait that moves more quickly or erratically like a tube with a 5/16 pegged weight a few times before you leave.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Deep water points Question ? - 08/11/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Tracker Tim

Yeppers. Throw all them sandies in a pan of hot grease or up on the rocks!

You have a serious bias against sandies Ken. Can't we all get along?? roflmao They can be tasty though...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum