Texas Fishing Forum

Replacing hooks on cranks

Posted By: Tall Hat

Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/08/17 11:23 PM

Have you guys seen a actual difference when changing out your hooks with a different type for hook sets?
What makes the difference? I was reading an article about it and was curious some other opinions
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 12:14 AM

Heavy cover - I change out to short shanks; but in the heavy wire KVD's
Open water - I change out to the regular shank hooks in the heavy wire KVD's

If I am fishing a good size crank around heavy cover and just wobbling it under the surface keeping it in sight then I move up to the next size hook in the short shank. If the bait came with #4's I move to the #2's

Good quality cranks in the $10 to $20 range will come with the right hooks most of the time. There are a few companies that don't have a clue.

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 12:28 AM

A 20 dollar crank?
I guess it makes since that if the hooks are not good you would spend more money making it right.
Most of my cranks run about 8-10 bucks give or take.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 12:57 AM

I change out 0 hooks on cranks or anything with trebles. I don't have a problem landing fish. I do think the design of a triple grip will hold a fish better so it might land one extra fish every now and then. Where I can see it helping is with smallmouth, they jump a lot. Although, KVD lost quite a few on trebles
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 02:11 AM

Tall Hat Do you have a specific crankbait in mind? I bet you would get some good answers on here if you tell us what you are thinking about changing. For Rogues I have a ton with different hook set ups and I think it helps...with getting bites and hooks ups. Let us know before you go change good hook for good hooks (unless you are bored and want to drink a few beers on the boat in the garage)
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 04:01 AM

I like to change out to Mustad Triple Grips in red and go up a size but short shank. Seems to get hung less and I don't lose many. The rod makes a lot of difference in losing fish too.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 04:39 AM

All well said above. I normally change mine out for VMC 4X short shank hooks. Stronger than triple grips and I DO NOT LIKE TRIPLE GRIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have lost too many BIG fish on them. because they are designed for smaller fish. I am talking 7-10 lb fish, because they point in and are too springy for my taste, but to each his own. I ALWAYS change hooks on rattle traps, because they are not very good to start with. Hope this helps. I DO go up on size sometimes, but that is for situations, not on each crank. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 04:52 AM

I change out most of the brands of cranks and topwaters with different style hooks to fit the bill for each before they go in the boat. Not to mention tuning them. But, that's just a personal preference/confidence thing. I will say that since Strike King upgraded their split rings it doesn't make that job easy without some good split ring pliers!

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekhead
Tall Hat Do you have a specific crankbait in mind? I bet you would get some good answers on here if you tell us what you are thinking about changing. For Rogues I have a ton with different hook set ups and I think it helps...with getting bites and hooks ups. Let us know before you go change good hook for good hooks (unless you are bored and want to drink a few beers on the boat in the garage)

Hey Creek
I fish with a lot of my cranks being more medium sized ones like the Pitbull 5.5 and similar sized KVD cranks. Haven't figured out deeper water well yet so I stick with what I know. I lost a few fish the other day after I had them hooked on a Cotton Cordell crank my kids had given me. Only color I had that was getting some bites at the time.
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
All well said above. I normally change mine out for VMC 4X short shank hooks. Stronger than triple grips and I DO NOT LIKE TRIPLE GRIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have lost too many BIG fish on them. because they are designed for smaller fish. I am talking 7-10 lb fish, because they point in and are too springy for my taste, but to each his own. I ALWAYS change hooks on rattle traps, because they are not very good to start with. Hope this helps. I DO go up on size sometimes, but that is for situations, not on each crank. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

This one is springy?
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mustad_KV...cpage-MKVR.html
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 01:09 PM

I like the gamakatsu 2x EWG treble hooks, once you have a few fish bend those stock hooks, you will want to change
Posted By: Green Fish

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 01:31 PM

I only change if the crankbait comes with poor hooks to begin with...and yes, stronger, sharper hooks help with the hookset and keeping them hooked.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/09/17 01:35 PM

Yup I replace mine with either triple grips or Stingers
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 01:25 AM

Well, they have updated them, I am talking about the ORIGINAL triple grips that I ddd NOT like. Still prefer the VMCs, too. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: just plain bill

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 01:37 AM

you have to be a bit cautious with topwaters...a bigger, heavier hook on the back will alter the action...so much so that i have gone with trokar size 4 2x to maintain the integrity of the action...i have an order coming and will try exchanging both original hooks on a favorite top; yamamoto tate pencil 3 inch...
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 02:17 AM

I'm really liking the Fletcher Shryock kahle trebles. Very similar to the triple grips; but appear to be slightly bigger in the same size and feel sharper (also lower in price)

Posted By: Creekhead

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 02:24 AM

Tallhat - I am a big fan of the Gamakatsu hooks. They are sharp, strong and seem to resist rust. Also think about rod and line you use. It's easy to pull the crankbait out of their mouth, so make sure the rod you use has a good tip on it. In general I try to use the biggest treble hook I can get away with, especially if fishing around grass. Not sure what size that Cordell you are using has on it, but probably a good size 4 would work, although size 6 are strong too. Also don't forget to change out the split rings, those will break sometimes.

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
I'm really liking the Fletcher Shryock khale trebles. Very similar to the triple grips; but appear to be slightly bigger in the same size and feel sharper (also lower in price)

I just bought a couple packs of these to try out.

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 12:56 PM

Thanks everyone for all the information.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Tall Hat

I just bought a couple packs of these to try out.

Cool, I think you'll like them. They also feel stronger than the standard triple grips (less springy)

At the price they go for, they are worth trying.

They might be a little heavy for some lures (jerkbaits); but work well for crankbaits.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: aggieangler03
I like to change out to Mustad Triple Grips in red and go up a size but short shank. Seems to get hung less and I don't lose many. The rod makes a lot of difference in losing fish too.

I think a lot of guys seriously forget about the rod, hook set and drag settings. I rarely "set" the hook on a crank, just a strong sweep. If in "open" water, I don't get in a hurry and let the drag and rod do the work.
I learned the hard way a long time ago that too stiff of a rod and too much of a set cost me fish. I was getting a ton of bites on a crankbait but was only getting one in ten to the boat. My partner told me to quick setting like I was worm fishing and just sweep the rod - I concentrated on that and started putting fish in the boat. After that trip, I changed rods and it has been great ever since. I will still lose an occasional fish if they get up and get a big head shake but it's rare to lose a fish now.(I also change hooks if the stock ones are junk)
I'd listen to Thad, he is one of the top "local" crankbait gurus.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 04:46 PM

So far the FS hooks has worked great for me besides when using on a square bill you have to open up the front hook a little because it will hang up on the bill.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
Yup I replace mine with either triple grips or Stingers

I do the same. Triple grip if I am throwing it around timber and Stingers for every thing else for small and medium sized crank baits.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 08:46 PM

I prefer triple Grips on all SquareBills and CBs with bodies of a 1.5 or smaller. I as well like the VMC on my larger Cranks. I will also put a #2 on the back hook and #4 on the belly hook....
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/10/17 09:35 PM

It's definitely worth it to upgrade your trebles! Triple Grips or Stingers, only way to go.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Replacing hooks on cranks - 08/11/17 12:27 AM

Gamakatsu Aaron Martins treble hooks are the stickiest I've ever used.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum