Texas Fishing Forum

hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ?

Posted By: kevine80

hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 05:43 AM

had a conversation with a friend----
i have been boat shopping lately and have noticed a lot of reference to lower unit problems or replacements
im 50 + and have had many boats in my life --never had a lower unit problem
the theory is = people are putting the boat in gear under power (on accident of course) through lack of coordination with a hot foot
what say you ?
Posted By: lodell23

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 07:30 AM

Probably has more to do with taking a bass boat in stump fields, rocks, etc opposed to a pleasure boat being in open water
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 09:53 AM

I've had boats with and without hot foots. Never known it to be an issue nor have I ever heard it be a topic of concern.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 12:15 PM

This is my first boat with a hot foot and it needs one. I have not had that problem.
The reason most lower units go out are not shifting related. Line in the prop shaft that goes unchecked is probably the number one reason. Anytime the seals are compromised and the LU gets water inside you need to have that remedied.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 12:18 PM

Interesting thought
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Allison1
This is my first boat with a hot foot and it needs one. I have not had that problem.
The reason most lower units go out are not shifting related. Line in the prop shaft that goes unchecked is probably the number one reason. Anytime the seals are compromised and the LU gets water inside you need to have that remedied.

Agreed.

I have a theory as well about fishing line being the major culprit. Many times it is braided line that is wrapped around the prop shaft. If somebody throws it overboard, it floats just under the surface. The perfect place for a boater to pick it up unknowingly.

I have owned a bunch of boats with hotfoots and none of them had LU issues.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 12:43 PM

Lack of maintenance is reason for lower unit problems, that and not knowing where you are running.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 01:10 PM

Or simply newer outboards especially 200hp and over have a ton more torque and that helps in many failures. I seriously doubt a hot foot hurts at all. I personally don't see more lower unit failures than I did 15 years ago.
Posted By: snickers

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 01:24 PM

Most of my lower units have been trashed from my hotfoot . From flying around Lake Amistad and the hard bottom it has. If you find this your problem just call Two guys marine
Posted By: 96speed

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
had a conversation with a friend----
i have been boat shopping lately and have noticed a lot of reference to lower unit problems or replacements
im 50 + and have had many boats in my life --never had a lower unit problem
the theory is = people are putting the boat in gear under power (on accident of course) through lack of coordination with a hot foot
what say you ?

Anyone that can drive a vehicle can figure out that you're not supposed to put a load on an engine before it is engaged in a gear. I think there are other factors.
Posted By: buda13

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 02:13 PM

In all my years of fishing I've only witnessed one lower unit destroyed by being put in gear while throttle was applied on the hot foot. Lots more lower units are shredded by hitting something, line around prop shaft, and poor maintenance IMO.
Posted By: TrailHand

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 02:18 PM

I don't know about other models, but the Yamaha ProV has a rpm lockout that keeps you from shifting in gear over about 1000 RPMs with a hotfoot. Well, you can force it, but you know you're doing something wrong if you do.
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 02:26 PM

I'd say the that advent of the jackplate, faster boats with bigger motors, and these high pitch props. We run them so high, and jumping waves. it's real hard on the gearboxes when they re-enter the water when jumping a wave. I've started burying my jackplate when running rough water. Ever notice that those off shore race boats have a driver and a throttle man?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 03:30 PM

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

I change my LU fluid twice a year. After changing, I take it on a short run to warm up the fluid, put it back on the trailer, and crack the top bleed screw, allowing any pressure off and drain any excess gear oil...just a couple of seconds...then tighten the bleed screw.

Especially important on Mercury Torquemaster and Sportmaster LU's.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Allison1

Agreed.

I have a theory as well about fishing line being the major culprit. Many times it is braided line that is wrapped around the prop shaft. If somebody throws it overboard, it floats just under the surface. The perfect place for a boater to pick it up unknowingly.

I have owned a bunch of boats with hotfoots and none of them had LU issues.

Spot on about the braided line wrapping around the prop shaft... Lost my L/U to that, Chuck at Service Marine advised me to check that shaft regularly...
Posted By: fouzman

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 04:14 PM

I can't imagine how/why anyone would put their boat in gear while pressing on the hot foot. My foot isn't even on the HF when I put the motor in gear.
Posted By: TrailHand

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I can't imagine how/why anyone would put their boat in gear while pressing on the hot foot. My foot isn't even on the HF when I put the motor in gear.

Not during normal operation, no way. But sometimes the pedal gets stuck, linkage comes apart, something rolls around under the console and interferes with the hotfoot, or someone tunes their carbs a little hot (not me, nope...) and can't figure why it won't shift smoothly...

It happens, but it's definitely not supposed to!

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 06:25 PM

No doubt. If that happens that it operator error and not the fault of a hotfoot. Heck using that logic I guess you could slam it in gear if using a hand throttle as well.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 06:31 PM

I don't think most newer outboards will let u put in gear if RPMs are over a certain amount. Can someone else please confirm this by trying it? smile
Posted By: slim 285

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 06:32 PM

I can't figure how you even got this idea. noidea
Posted By: 9094

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 07:00 PM

People slowly putting their boat into gear is probably one of the worst culprits.
I hear guys all the time at the ramp slowly shifting the gears and they grind when switching.
You should quickly put your motor in gear. Every time you do slow you cause a little but of damage.

As far a a hotfoot, I don't know if or why they would cause a problem. People are must more used to driving a car and they naturally know not to depress the gas while shifting gears.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/02/17 09:18 PM

This.....I bought a lower unit for one of my earlier rigs because of this........my mechanic gave me a good talking to about how to do it right. The faster the better. If you hear the gears bouncing off each other you are doing it way to slow.....
Posted By: kevine80

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/07/17 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

No doubt. If that happens that it operator error and not the fault of a hotfoot. Heck using that logic I guess you could slam it in gear if using a hand throttle as well.

with a hand throttle you engage gears before any throttle is available
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/07/17 01:03 PM

Fact is. The lower unit takes the most abuse. Oil lthe drain plug. If it's clean and there is no water drops, rock on.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/07/17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
I don't think most newer outboards will let u put in gear if RPMs are over a certain amount. Can someone else please confirm this by trying it? smile

I would be glad to try that...can I borrow your boat? roflmao

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/07/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

with a hand throttle you engage gears before any throttle is available

Go ahead and slam yours in gear with the hand throttle.
Posted By: stxrippinlips1

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/07/17 04:00 PM

No problem with my lower and hotfoot! I think it boils down to operator error if you ask me.
Posted By: cbob

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/13/17 07:52 AM

So are engaging gears with hand throttle fast or slow? New post? Didn't mean to hijack.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/13/17 12:04 PM

My problem is not my hotfoot, it's those damn stumps that are attached to the hotfoot.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/13/17 02:46 PM

If your engine idle speed is set right, and you allow the prop to stop turning, your LU should literally fall in gear with nothing more than a mild clunk...no grinding or bashing gears.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: hotfoot = lower unit serial killer ? - 08/14/17 01:42 AM

Well I blew up a lower unit on my Mercury 250 ProXS 2 weeks after it was serviced. Approximately 150 hours on the motor, running around 60, 5200 rpms and the pinion gear let go. It seems that the Torquemaster Gen 1's have a propensity to do this. Under warranty but I was not happy.

I am careful about watching my RPM's and 9 times out of 10 my foot is not even on the hotfoot when I put it in gear.

No indication of hitting anything, no line on prop shaft, and properly serviced by a Mercury wrench. It happens.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum