Texas Fishing Forum

Elbow trouble.......

Posted By: Fish2222

Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 12:45 AM

I've had serious pain from my right elbow for 4 months....usually hits about 24 hours after fishing.
Diagnosed today as Fisherman's Elbow.
Same thing as tennis elbow, except has more mental anguish, suffering, and requires more equipment.

Seriously, anyone experienced this issue?
I told the doc "laying off fishing ain't gonna happen."
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 12:55 AM

Yep, I've had it too. It went way after a couple months. I didn't lay off my fishing either. Take two aspirin and launch!!
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 12:55 AM

Yeah. I usually get some discomfort in the elbow after a couple of days on the water. Usually after days where I've been trying to bomb chatter baits or other moving baits--longer casts and more casts.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 12:57 AM

Got a buddy that has it. He had to have surgery after dealing with it for years. The surgery didn't help in the end. He can't hardly throw crankbait at all anymore. Only was to fix it is to stop fishing. He uses some type of prescription ointment that does pretty good for him but it's expensive.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 01:00 AM

Had the same thing and it can be painful. Cortisone shots didn't help so I finally went to rehab at Baylor rehab center on I-30 in Mesquite. Took 4 sessions but fixed it and that was 15 years ago. They ask how I fished and after discussing it they determined it was probably caused by my flipping and pitching technique where I was holding a 1oz jig from a 7'6 rod and it put a strain on my elbow. Now I hold the rod lower and next to my side and it takes the pressure away from the elbow.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 01:16 AM

Fisherman's elbow!?!?! Heck, I get Fisherman's body!
Posted By: Zebco1961

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 01:36 AM

Ask your dr. For ketoprophen
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 01:46 AM

I get it more in the shoulder and pectoral.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 01:59 AM

It only gets worse unless you take care of it. I am a old Coach and have rehabbed many elbows and shoulders. Shoot me a PM and I will try to help.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 02:01 AM

My doctor told me "whatever you're doing that caused it, don't stop doing it."

I didn't.
It went away.

But wait until you get older. You'll get all kinds of new ones.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 02:32 AM

Ice. About 5 lbs of it.
In a container big enough to submerge your elbow mix 4 lbs of ice with water.
Put 4oz of ice in crystal tumbler and fill with good bourbon.
Submerge elbow for 15 minutes or 4 drinks which ever comes first.

This remedy will reduce both the swelling and pain in your elbow.
Do this after any strenuous use of your elbow.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 02:44 AM

I had this same problem about 6 years ago . Went to several Dr's , spent tons of money on various approaches , acupuncture , ART , physical therapy . Nothing helped . It was actually depressing . Taking 4-6 advil just to go fishing wasn't a good option , not to mention the damage those meds do to your liver . Unless your elbow is damaged by a torn ligament or possibly a bone spur --- I would suspect your problem is due to inflammation .
I solved my by changing my diet . I eliminated HFC (high fructose corn syrup) , meats with steroids and antibiotics , all chemicals in any food products . I basically rebuilt my entire immune system . I am now 56 years old and haven't had ANY joint pain in any parts of my body , no more head aches , no more sinus infections and haven't been sick at all in about 4-5 years . I have more energy at 56 than I did when I was 35 .
Robb
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 02:51 AM

close your fingers and thumb into "point" take two or three rubber bands wrap and them around your fingers and thumb, now spread your fingers and thumb. repeat this about 25 times a couple times a day, it is an old tennis elbow rehab. it will strength your forearm muscles and their connection to the arm's tendons.
Posted By: Bassin16

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 03:00 AM

I was preparing to have my shoulder fixed (bone spur & rotator cuff). Right elbow began hurting with swelling. Could not extend it straight. Went to my Ortho Doc and the plan changed. Shoulder had to wait. Debris in the elbow, either get it fixed right away or risk the elbow locking up. Baseball and fishing had done a number on the elbow.
My advice after having one elbow and two shoulder surgeries (which I put off for years) get them checked. If surgery is needed, get it done, don't put it off. Surgery recovery as you get older sucks!
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 04:02 AM

go to GNC and see if they have Devels Blood suppose to be really good!
Posted By: Steve PIII

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 10:38 AM

Get an elbow brace at CVS, it wraps around your forearm just below the elbow. Takes the pressure off the tendons at the elbow. Mine was so bad I couldn't pull on a fish to the left because of pain and weakness. The brace helped immediately, time and ibuprofen did the rest.

It was painful but I'm much better now. Don't do the surgery unless there is no choice.
Posted By: tjmurphy1222

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 11:53 AM

Like stated above try the elbow brace. I had tennis elbow and it is torture to a fisherman. I had refused to stop fishing and continued to throw batting practice for my kids baseball team. It got so bad that after a while I couldn't use my right arm to lift a coffee mug. I got a brace with a tension adjustment knob on it and never stopped fishing. A few weeks later and zero issues. Good luck.
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 01:52 PM

I'm very stubborn when it comes to going to a doctor or getting treatment for injuries. I had the same thing a couple years ago and finally went to The Tx Room for treatment. They are chiropractors that specialize in soft tissue sports injuries. It took about 6-8 visits, but it was the only thing that worked for me.
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 03:08 PM

I had the fisherman's elbow about 5 years ago, mainly because I was casting with just my right arm. with a little rest and a good heating pad, it got better. now I always cast with both hands on the rod, and haven't had a problem since.

good luck; that's no fun.
Posted By: montgomery

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 03:16 PM

I did the reverse platelet injection 4 yrs ago and have not had any problems since then.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 03:18 PM

Exercise, weight lift, strengthen the muscles around the elbow it will go away.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Montgomery
I did the reverse platelet injection 4 yrs ago and have not had any problems since then.

I did the same 5 years ago. It works like a champ. It is easy and a short recovery.
I have known a couple of people that had the surgery and it worked for a while. But they re injured it and had the same problems.
PRP or reverse platelet injects plasma platelets directly into the micro tears in the tendons which allow them to fully heal. Tendons don't have a lot of blood flow and are very slow to heal. So once the micro tears start unless you just stop what you are doing long enough to let them heal they will continue to tear. If it ever gets as bad as mine was you can't even pick up a glass of water.
Before I decided to get it done I did what I posted earlier, lots of ice and bourbon.
Posted By: flowjack

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 08:57 PM

Tendonitis-wear an elbow brace and take tylenol around noon on tournament days to get you through it. Mine hit in mid January this year and finally went away in July.
Posted By: Ekman Spiral

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/01/17 09:07 PM

There is a fairly new treatment call Tenex. The pain is not caused by inflammation but damaged tendons, even though anti inflammatory meds help. Small needle like device put in elbow and waves break up only damaged tissue. In and out pretty fast. Short recovery. I've been deciding between this and PRP. These are two good options if others fail. PRP is not covered by most insurers but the Tenex is. Pitching baits very painful, tuck your arm in and bend the elbow that helped.
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/02/17 12:40 AM

Get a wrap for your forearm keep it kinda of high and it will help. I have it bad and it works like a charm..
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/02/17 02:33 AM

Amputation
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/02/17 02:56 AM

I just have worked through mine over the years. But when it gets bad I used one of those sleeves to apply pressure to that area and it really helped
Posted By: Pico Pearch

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/02/17 02:19 PM

I have it also (tennis elbow). The only way it will go away is with rest. Nothing else will help it. Surgery is no sure fix for it
Posted By: popcork

Re: Elbow trouble....... - 08/03/17 01:33 PM

Fisherman's elbow happened to me this past March. I wear one of the elbow braces from Academy. I also learned to cast and flip left-handed so that it does not act up as much.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum