Texas Fishing Forum

Boat trailer inspection ?

Posted By: Happykamper

Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 04:52 PM

I guess I have to get one done, bought the boat new last year and did not have one done, not sure why I have to do it now, where is the closest place to Keller / Southlake that does trailer inspections ?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 04:58 PM

Kwik kar does them
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 04:58 PM

How did you get plates for it without an inspection if it needs to be inspected? Did you get a notice to inspect? What is the GVWR?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
Kwik kar does them

yep....have had mine done at the Roanoke location the last 2 years. Quick and easy.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 06:07 PM

It only good for a year.
Posted By: Amac88

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 06:14 PM

If your trailer and boat are less than 4,500lb you do not have to get an inspection.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 06:15 PM

I just renewed the registration on my 21ft triton and they said i didn't need an inspection so I paid them and walked out with new registration.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 06:17 PM

Couple of things to check.
- Look at your title to check the weight capacity.
- Look at the serial # plate on the tongue of the trailer for the weight.
- You may find that they are different.
- If the plate puts you under the limit take a picture and go get it changed. They are very understanding at vehicle register office.

Had no problem getting mine changed.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 07:00 PM

I think that when the State sends out plate renewal notices, it automatically prints on the renewal form that an inspection is required. Just take the renewal notice to your local tax office and they will tell you if you need an inspection or not. Also, if your trailer is below a certain weight, it doesn't have to be titled

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1

How did you get plates for it without an inspection if it needs to be inspected? Did you get a notice to inspect? What is the GVWR?

Well [censored], I cannot find my title, they just sent me a notice that I have to get trailer inspected before i can get registration for boat, I did not get it inspected when I bought it new last july, it is a Triton 21 TRX. I will go look in the boat, maybe it is in there with all the other paper work.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper

Well [censored], I cannot find my title, they just sent me a notice that I have to get trailer inspected before i can get registration for boat, I did not get it inspected when I bought it new last july, it is a Triton 21 TRX. I will go look in the boat, maybe it is in there with all the other paper work.

Bought new is your answer.

Check your retail paperwork, you paid $7.50 somewhere for the inspection. After September, you likely won't need the inspection anymore, but will still have to pay the "Inspection Fee".
Posted By: petro

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 08:54 PM

The law changes to 7500 # s this september
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: petro
The law changes to 7500 # s this september

flehan
Posted By: C130

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 09:04 PM

I bought new in December and still had to get it inspected. They looked at the weight on the trailer sticker also. Guy that did it said it was a common problem since so may trailers have the stickers come off. The trailer capacity was way more than the boat weight but that's what they go by. Just another way for the state to get money.

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 07/31/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Originally Posted By: Happykamper

Bought new is your answer.

Check your retail paperwork, you paid $7.50 somewhere for the inspection. After September, you likely won't need the inspection anymore, but will still have to pay the "Inspection Fee".

It was not inspected because i had to go to the courthouse and have it registered, I remember the lady asking me and i just told her it was under 4500 pounds, it went through, I just noticed the boat is registered for one more year, not sure what to do, go to the courthouse and act dumb again i guess.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 08/01/17 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
Kwik kar does them

I use the Kwik Kar in Gun Barrel, easy in, easy out, done!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 08/02/17 11:46 AM

Getting your trailer inspected every year is not that hard...but there is a way around it. I told the clerk at our county license office that my boat/trailer does not weigh over 4500lbs. Some trailers are classified by the "potential carrying weight" of the axles. Unlike a utility type trailer this custom drive on trailer will only fit the boat on it. She asked what was a fair weight and she changed it for me. Now mine says 4500lbs not something higher. No more hooking up just to go get a trailer inspection each year! There is always the chance that a trooper could weigh your rig out on the highway and if you are concerned and not sure about your total weight a trip by some CAT scales will answer your question.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 08/02/17 12:01 PM

An article on the new law.

Brad

Boat trailer inspections

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 08/02/17 01:42 PM

You would think that since they did not require it a year ago then it should be ok, i think i just go down to the courthouse and see if it will go through, if not I will wait until Sept 1 and get it done.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 08/02/17 04:51 PM

So I'm wondering if the weight stipulation applies to when registering for the first time in Texas??
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 08/02/17 06:23 PM

If registration is due I would spend the $7.50 and the 10 minutes it takes to have it done.

Re: Boat trailer inspection ? - 08/03/17 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
If registration is due I would spend the $7.50 and the 10 minutes it takes to have it done.

I have no plans on using my boat until September, that is when the law changes, I have to go down and register another boat and vehicle, going to try and run it through, it worked the last time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum