Texas Fishing Forum

13 Fishing Rod issues?

Posted By: justindiehl7

13 Fishing Rod issues? - 07/28/17 10:32 PM

I've had 4 of their 120.00 rods and they have all broken. My dad bought a crankbait rod from them, mounted the reel on last night after taking it out of the package, first cast this morning it snapped in two and backlashed the reel. Omen Black, Green, Fate, and the newest Omen, is anyone else having problems?
Posted By: mudd

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 07/28/17 10:34 PM

I broke every Omen rod I had 3 years ago. They replaced them all and I sold them asap
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 07/29/17 12:49 AM

Sometimes I have to question some of the hate for 13 fishing. I'm not a fanboy by any means but I do have 4 Omen greens and 4 Concept A's for almost a year now and zero issues. And yes I'm fairly hard on my equipment and rarely maintaine them
Posted By: BigBassB

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 07/29/17 09:56 PM

I have been using omen rods for years. Broke a tip on one lady year. Filed a warranty claim with 13 fishing and they sent me a brand new one at no charge. Love my 13, products.

Have you filed a claim? Thr customer service is outstanding
Posted By: hurricanecraig

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/03/17 06:19 PM

I had the tip on a fate black casting rod break in two places. They warranty replaced it. I had the cork butt break on two different muse gold spinning rods. The third one has had no problems. The muse gold is great in the 6'9 medium action. I must have gotten a couple lemons.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/03/17 06:36 PM

I've got 8 envy's and the earlier models reel seat would detach from the cap that snugged down on the reel itself and I've had 3 of them with bad blanks that start to delaminate but dangit I love the taper of their rods.
Posted By: milkfisher

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/03/17 09:21 PM

I've never been a fan of their rods. That being said...they are the only reels I use.
Posted By: Ranger205

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/03/17 11:07 PM

Have 3 Black Omens and love them......no issues after 1 year of use.
Posted By: Dustin Aldous

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/03/17 11:21 PM

I snapped the tip off the 1st gen omen(which I think looks way better) and swapped over to duckett rods but still use only the 13 reels, concept a's and c's.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/03/17 11:51 PM

I have been using the 13 Envy for about three years. Really like that rod. Higher quality than the Omen. But in fairness to the Oman, it is a cheaper rod and compares favorably with other rods in its price range.
The Envy is my fluke rod, frog rod, and worm rod. Does everything well
Posted By: Todd Ivins

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/04/17 12:04 AM

I had purchased 4 gen1 omens and 1 green envy. They all broke. They replaced all 5 with gen2's and the only ones that have broken are my fault. Still have 3 going strong. Awesome taper, I will give them that.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/05/17 05:21 AM

I had a omen black that I bought here on TFF. Loved the feel, but broke the handle setting the hook on a 6lber. Got her in the boat, but that did it for my rod.

I would buy again, but only from a dealer to use warranty!
Posted By: logan.chadwell

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/07/17 12:26 AM

I had a a green envy snap on me first cast of the day, not real sure how it happened. It broke in the middle of my 7ft rod. Not going back love my ducketts!
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/07/17 12:26 PM

I have had about 3 or 4 Omen Black rods break on me and then another 3 to 4 guides snap off. They are definitely very sensitive an light weight but very fragile rods. Ill probably be going with another brand in the future. 13 has replaced all of them though.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/07/17 12:31 PM

They just seem like they would be [censored] . Right at the [censored] price point, designed to catch flat bill types.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: 13 Fishing Rod issues? - 08/07/17 12:47 PM

I believe all of the personal anecdotes, I do, but it always leaves me wondering about the "why" behind it, and several questions:

1) Aren't rod blanks sourced by rod makers from a relatively small supplying industry?
2) If a company is suffering really high warranty claims, wouldn't it change its sources?
3) Is there something "physical" about certain aspects of a rod that makes one break easier than another? A taper, for example?
4) Are we seeing more or less breakage, now as opposed to in the past, as the rods are getting stronger and yet lighter?
5) Do rods break more often at one point than another? And, why the tips as often mentioned? That'd seem to be one of the last expected places for a break to me, that, and down on the other side of the maximum lifting point near the hands.
6) Is there anything about the "adds" that weaken a rod blank: the reel seat, the guides, handle parts?

I have no idea, by the way, but if I had to guess it'd be somehow related to taper??? That some rods don't pass the elastic energy down fast enough, blow up.

Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum