Texas Fishing Forum

C-Rig

Posted By: Bas-ii-tis

C-Rig - 07/27/17 03:31 PM

Is this actually a good setup or should I set my own up? That wire line is kinda strange looking.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 03:41 PM

Still have to tie three knots, so it's not saving you any time, if that's what you're after. I tie my own.
Posted By: jaw116

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 04:15 PM

Carolina Keeper and Gambler Brass Carolina Rig Weight is all you need.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 04:17 PM

those work fine, but you can make your own cheaper..
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 04:20 PM

Limits your line moving freely through the weight.
Waste of money.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 04:20 PM

Buy you some beads and make your own. I don't personally like brass. it is too large for the weight. I use the old traditional one oz lead bullet weight and glass beads. Just don't use glass beads with tungsten weights!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 04:28 PM

I can't believe a man of your means still uses lead, Ken.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 05:25 PM

Doesnt save any time and i think they hang up more, also cost more than buying pieces and sliding them on together. I like a brass clacker, but not as big a fan of brass weight...I 1000% prefer lead on a c-rig than tungsten
Posted By: Slade

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 05:36 PM

I think lead is better too. I started using lead bc I was getting tired of loosing a $5 tungsten weight everytime I got hung up and had to break it off. Weird thing is I have caught more and bigger fish since I started using lead weights. It could be coincidence but as long as the bottom is good, I can feel it just the same so I now prefer lead for C rigs

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I can't believe a man of your means still uses lead, Ken.

Thats the only way I can afford to put gas in my Lambo Chris....

wink
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 08:13 PM

I use those and have a snap tied to the end of my braid. This allows me to use my HW rod for multiple lures. C-rig, Donkey Rig, big cranks, and spoons all rigged up with a short leader and a small swivel on each. I keep several lure setups on a pool noodle and just unsnap when I want to change techniques.

If I could afford 30+ rods then perhaps I might change. So far I'm at 9 rods and waiting for the new reels to hit the shelves
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 08:35 PM

Listen to these guys, make your own. Way fast to setup using a Carolina keeper, if you like those, and a glass bead. I mostly always use a 3/4oz weight.

Where do y'all buy your lead bullet weights 1/2-1oz?

Re: C-Rig - 07/27/17 10:22 PM

Thanks Fellas on att your comments and opinions..Defiantly helps me out

Re: C-Rig - 07/29/17 05:18 AM

Alight guys this my setup... 50lb braid and leader 15 flouro
Posted By: stxrippinlips1

Re: C-Rig - 07/29/17 11:18 AM

+1
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: C-Rig - 07/29/17 01:00 PM

You don't really need the bobber stopper above the weight. If that is a glass bead below a tungsten weight it will crack or break. If it is glass, change it out to a plastic one or just leave it out. You already have a clacker above the swivel.

I used to use braid as my main line but switched to fluorocarbon. I get more bites on it using fluorocarbon on lake Fork. Several guides out there tell me the same thing.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: C-Rig - 07/29/17 02:49 PM

I had a number of these and ended up cutting apart and saving the pieces. I prefer to tie my own and don't like the wire.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: C-Rig - 07/29/17 02:57 PM

I C-rig all the time. I use the standard C-rig with the bead and clacker. I throw normal weights and vary my hook size to match the bait type/size.

I pre-rig my leaders and have been making my own weight setups that seem to come through most cover quite well and I can downsize the weight quickly.

Works for me...you're results may vary.

Re: C-Rig - 07/29/17 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
You don't really need the bobber stopper above the weight. If that is a glass bead below a tungsten weight it will crack or break. If it is glass, change it out to a plastic one or just leave it out. You already have a clacker above the swivel.

I used to use braid as my main line but switched to fluorocarbon. I get more bites on it using fluorocarbon on lake Fork. Several guides out there tell me the same thing.

Agreed. Lose the bobber stopper and never use glass beads with tungsten weights. It will eventually break and cut you line and then you'll be on here talking about how a giant broke your 50# braid. wink
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: C-Rig - 07/30/17 02:14 PM

Make your own
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: C-Rig - 07/30/17 02:24 PM

I use steel weights....they are just as hard as tungsten at a fraction of the cost....brass clicker....and a bead just above the knot.....works great...and no cussing when you break off..
Posted By: WAWI

Re: C-Rig - 07/30/17 02:30 PM

I'm trying to figure out how this saves any time you still have to tie 3 knots. If you wanna save time just pre tie 5-6 leaders. All that stuff is silly.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: C-Rig - 07/30/17 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: John175 ®
I C-rig all the time. I use the standard C-rig with the bead and clacker. I throw normal weights and vary my hook size to match the bait type/size.

I pre-rig my leaders and have been making my own weight setups that seem to come through most cover quite well and I can downsize the weight quickly.

Works for me...you're results may vary.

[img]https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2017/07/full-14056-172898-c_rig_weight.jpg[/

I like this a lot (easier than the empty paracord method I've been using)

The standard crig with the free moving metal bullet or cylindrical weight is a beating around rock and timber
Those free moving weights love to get snagged.

Would make for a good "snag free" drop shot weight also.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum