Texas Fishing Forum

Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts.

Posted By: i-Fish

Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 01:05 AM

These 2 will be my go to lakes. What colors (plastic and hard baits) are you finding most consistent?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 02:40 AM

When I guided on those 2 lakes, primarily Lewisville, I used crawfish colored CBs at night and chartreuse/blueback on others. Chartreuse/white spinnerbaits often worked, too. Hard to beat the old watermelon/red flake on both of those lakes, I will send a PM on other colors that are not so common. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. OH, if you are fishing soft plastics at night, use red shad, too.

Thad Rains

As pointed out below, I forgot to mention shad colored CBs. Muted or shiny, either way.

tr

sorry
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 02:44 AM

If I had to have just one color for me it would be green pumpkin for soft plastics. And for crankbaits a shad color and the chartreuse black back .
Posted By: mikereils5er

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 03:06 AM

RR- okeechobee craw for me
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 03:07 AM

Watermelon Red is a go to, June Bug or next shade darker on cloudy days or low light
Posted By: moto382

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 03:11 AM

Watermelon Red or black n blue either one will catch fish on either lake. The only other color you need is a shad color bait and you will catch fish.
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 03:21 AM

I'd be thrilled to have that answer for you:)), I'd probably be more reliable telling you what colors don't work.
Fluke - watermelon red magic
CB - shad, or chart
Jerk - both above.
Posted By: jiggmann

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 03:33 AM

Chart with blue back for crankbaits and green pumpkin for soft plastic does well for me on Lewisville I don't fish RR.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 05:30 AM

I think I have come to the conclusion that we care more about color than the fish. Sure, I'll agree that it seems they like one color over another sometimes, but it seems the exception more than the rule. I'm working on simplifying as much as I can, and I've got a long way to go. Both are like most lakes I have been on. Cranks - shad colors, chartreuse (pick a back color), maybe an occasional craw pattern depending on the time of the year. Soft plastics just throw green pumpkin and watermelon red. Once you get to know the lakes more, you can try others.

Don't spend much time overthinking colors. Just get out there and give it a whirl with some basics and go from there. Just know going into it, both lakes can be very humbling at times. Don't worry if you zero a few times, it takes some time to learn both.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 11:26 AM

Dont think they really care right now what color on Ray Roberts. Its more about getting around the right fish that will actually eat.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 12:33 PM

Thanks for all your input, fellas. I usually keep my colors pretty natural with a few exceptions but just wanted to know if there was a consensus standout amongs those lakes.

Speaking of which, I know junebug is a popular coloe but I cannot get bit on that color. I've thrown an ol' monster and baby brush hog.....NADA. Lol. So it goes.
Posted By: D Egge

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 01:08 PM

Bass Fishing (565 viewing)
Everything you ever wanted to know about chasing largemouth, spotted, Guadalupe and smallmouth bass.

Hey Forum
Is this not the place to offer tips on different lakes? Not saying everyone would want to give up their lat/long of their favorite honeyhole or the exact lure and color and cadence or how to fish a favorite lure that has been on fire the last couple of weeks, but toad just asked an honest question. How many post have had "whats your favorite" in them? I have learned a lot from ya'll as I took up this sport in recent years. And I would gladly give tips on what I learned. Like green pumpkin on Lewisville has been good to me. Craw colors of any lures in the spring. I don't believe Texjef was being mean, he offered sound advice. There is no better way to find out than live and learn. Let's keep the spirit of the sport in high gear!
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 01:12 PM

Red Shad is kind of special on Lewisville. More so in the cooler months but good most of the year. Otherwise just stick with the basics of green pumpkin, watermelon red and yes junebug (but try other style baits).
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 01:48 PM

Smokey Shad for soft plastic fluke type baits.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 02:11 PM

At Ray Roberts, I've had success on Bone colored topwater lures, Shad colored crankbaits and flukes, chartreuse & white spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/swim jigs, and watermelon w/ red flake plastics. I've used black or black w/ blue flake plastics if there have been rain storms and that seems to work. Some guys seem to like a copper/green crankbait around the rocks but I've had more success with the shad patterns.

One guy who cut his teeth on Ray Roberts swears by chartreuse/pepper bubble fry on a C-rig. I've never tried them.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/25/17 03:05 PM

Blue fleck power worms on both lakes in the summer. Red shad as it gets cooler. I've caught more fish on chart cranks than silver/white lately on both lakes. Been trying chart/black back just to see what would happen and I don't seem to catch as many-they still hit it but not as much. Chart/blu has been better combination. Threw two colors of chatterbait on Lew over the weekend-pump/red and chart/white......caught 3 on chart/white and 1 on the pump/red.
Posted By: Tiltedtitan

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/26/17 08:44 PM

My boat is down.. but I have pretty good experience on Lewisville at this point if any one needs a partner.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/26/17 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: PlanoTom
At Ray Roberts, I've had success on Bone colored topwater lures, Shad colored crankbaits and flukes, chartreuse & white spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/swim jigs, and watermelon w/ red flake plastics. I've used black or black w/ blue flake plastics if there have been rain storms and that seems to work. Some guys seem to like a copper/green crankbait around the rocks but I've had more success with the shad patterns.

One guy who cut his teeth on Ray Roberts swears by chartreuse/pepper bubble fry on a C-rig. I've never tried them.

This^^^
And a chartreuse/silver fleck plastic is the bomb.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/27/17 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: JoeFriday
I think I have come to the conclusion that we care more about color than the fish. Sure, I'll agree that it seems they like one color over another sometimes, but it seems the exception more than the rule. I'm working on simplifying as much as I can, and I've got a long way to go. Both are like most lakes I have been on. Cranks - shad colors, chartreuse (pick a back color), maybe an occasional craw pattern depending on the time of the year. Soft plastics just throw green pumpkin and watermelon red. Once you get to know the lakes more, you can try others.

Don't spend much time overthinking colors. Just get out there and give it a whirl with some basics and go from there. Just know going into it, both lakes can be very humbling at times. Don't worry if you zero a few times, it takes some time to learn both.

First thing and more importantly is finding the fish..
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/27/17 01:26 PM

Although I tend to agree about color, my last two trips at LL, they have been super picky. I'm talking going from a zero to a hero with a simple color change. The bite has not been as aggressive as a couple months ago, they are starting to dial in on specific baits/colors. Sometimes you just have to throw the kitchen sink at them to find what they're eating.
Posted By: bigbaitb

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/27/17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: PlanoTom

A buddy i fish ray bob with throws the exact same colors but with a blue flake power worm in the mix.

I personality have had my best days out there with a z man zinker in coppertruese and sprayed glass wacky rigged.
And watermelon red chartruese tipped trick worms on a shakey head.
And crankbait wise the bomber babybass produces lots of numbers out there for me but not much in the size category
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/27/17 06:12 PM

watermelon soft plastic with the tail dipped.
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/31/17 02:16 AM

green/pumpkin and watermelon/red and watermelon/candy in your favorite soft plastics. and sexy shad or chart for hard baits.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Colors for Lewisville and/or Ray Roberts. - 07/31/17 03:45 AM

Interesting conversation going for sure. After the Bassmaster tournaments, I always spin through the pics to see what each of the top 10 keyed in on using. They always seem to be throwing something different. So either they are lying, or the bass really do eat different colors and types of baits on the same body of water.

Look at the list here, and it seems to bear the same message. At some time, at some place on the lake, the bass will bite any of the above.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum