Texas Fishing Forum

Overheating Yamaha

Posted By: Hog Jaw

Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 01:31 PM

Anyone having problems overheating with 90 degree water
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 02:07 PM

90 degree water is probably not your problem....how long since you changed out water pump?
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 02:32 PM

Impeller, thermostats, and/or poppet valve. Likely one or a combination. Only other cause would be an obstruction in water flow somewhere.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 02:39 PM

^^^^^ this
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 03:27 PM

Never had a problem with something like that. Hope you get it figured out.
Posted By: miketmpb

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 04:16 PM

Had same problem, it was a water pump problem, 200 bucks
Posted By: scottsoutdoorworld

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 05:49 PM

if it only does it when you are idling around you have sand and small rocks in the poppet valve and need to clean it if it does it running on plane water pump or t-stats
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: miketmpb

2 bills??

Takes 30-45 min and the kit is 75 bucks
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 07:09 PM

You might ask in the Equipment Discussion forum.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: miketmpb

2 bills??

Takes 30-45 min and the kit is 75 bucks

More like an hour of labor. 120$ plus parts. He was correct at couple a bills.

Make sure the plastic screens on the Loweunit are not broke. This will cause em to overheat running.
Posted By: stetson

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 10:04 PM

Who doesn't replace the water pump themselves?!
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/23/17 11:51 PM

Replace the water pump. Super easy. Takes 30 min on a merc, not sure on yamaha
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/24/17 02:42 AM

On a 90 or 115 easy to replace yourself. On a 250 much more difficult if you don't have help. Sounds like water pump to me. Do you have a water pressure guage?

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/24/17 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
On a 90 or 115 easy to replace yourself. On a 250 much more difficult if you don't have help. Sounds like water pump to me. Do you have a water pressure guage?

Pulling the prop helps on the bigger motors. I do a 200 solo, and it's not too bad.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/24/17 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw
Anyone having problems overheating with 90 degree water

What year and model engine? OX66? HPDI? Vmax? Had something similar happen to me after idling through a silted area, sucked a bunch of that into the water jacket and restricted the water flow.
Posted By: C.C. Near Nuthin

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/25/17 11:50 PM

if it only does it when you are idling around you likely have a clogged screen, dirty and/or old style poppet valve. An upgrade is available. Could still be a water pump or thermostat, but you need to check your water pressure and look at the tell-tale stream as you go from idle to full throttle. I have had each, the symptoms are all a little different.
Posted By: Okie.

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/26/17 02:42 AM

I have a 200 hdpi doing the same thing it has a new water pump. What water pressure should it have on plane?
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/26/17 03:23 AM

Just recently did impeller kit, both thermostats and poppet valve on mine. Overheat light only came on once idling out of cove but went ahead and did everything at once.
Posted By: C.C. Near Nuthin

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/26/17 12:20 PM

With upgraded Poppet valve, I'm over 20 on plane.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/26/17 01:32 PM

Got a new water pump and impeller in April and last week I noticed my HPDI running about 7-8# WOT. I never got an overheat light and nothing noticeable every seemed wrong on a 4 day lake trip, but I went ahead and dropped it off at the shop on the way home. I am really pissed if they find a problem because it takes 3-4 weeks to get your boat back this time of year. Cant stand leaving my boat at a shop that long.
Posted By: Dynamic

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 07/26/17 02:24 PM

My Yamaha 200 was doing that and it was the PRV (pressure regulating valve) stuck closed. This valve will open and close regulating the water pressure to the block. Mine was overheating when I was idling around. It was stuck in the closed position which was not allowing water to cool the engine at low RPM. You still need to change the water pump and impeller and if it keeps doing it then replace this. Its located on the top of the motor and easy to change.

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 08/01/17 09:38 PM

Just got a call from shop , cowl was full of dirt dobbers , surprised you did not lose motor , they had R/R lower unit ( insurance ) about 2 weeks prior motor running hot , any one had this happen to them before with dirt dobbers in cowl ?? Motor never ran hot before . But I leave boat in slip . Never thought about cleaning or even checking cowl for obstruction .
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 08/01/17 09:49 PM

Was at Pines, and a guy next to me at the ramp had the same problem. He caught it and had to do the clean out himself (at the ramp).
Posted By: TrailHand

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 08/01/17 10:10 PM

Those dirt dobbers are great critters, but tough on boats! they also like to fill up your wee-wee hole with mud. You can stick a q-tip in there when you're parked and they'll stay out. I don't know how your cowl is made but maybe you can do something similar.

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 08/01/17 10:18 PM

It's a ox66 ,Yr: 2000 , 200 hp Yammie .

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 08/02/17 03:04 AM

Put a Tough Skinz cover on it. It has mesh that covers the air intake which would keep them out of the cowl.
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Overheating Yamaha - 08/02/17 01:24 PM

I would be more worried about the dirt nest breaking apart and sucking into the intake and destroying the motor. I check mine out on a monthly basis. I have my boat in the garage and the little devils still figure out how to get nest built in it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum