Texas Fishing Forum

Upgrading hooks on jigging spoons

Posted By: Yankinlips

Upgrading hooks on jigging spoons - 07/15/17 05:48 PM

What type of hook do you guys go to when changing/upgrading the hooks on a jigging spoon? I know there's a give and take, thicker/stronger hook should = better hook ups but also harder to dislodge from structure. Whereas a thinner hook will bend enough for you to break free from logs, etc...
I've managed to "get bit" down deep but keeping em hooked up has been an issue. After doing some reading I realize that's part of fishing with jigging spoons. I'm just trying to tip the odds back in my favor so to speak.
Thanks.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Upgrading hooks on jigging spoons - 07/15/17 07:33 PM

I haven't upgraded the hooks on my flutter spoons because they seem pretty stout but I saw a tip in a Tactical Bassin video on YouTube that you might consider. They recommended threading a treble hook on your line above the spoon before you tie on the spoon. You end up with a treble at both ends of the spoon. It makes sense to me but sounds like I'd snag the spoon even more often. I realize that you asked about jigging spoons but I thought that the same principle would apply.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Upgrading hooks on jigging spoons - 07/15/17 10:10 PM

I use jigs all the time and just use the hooks that came with them. I've never had an issue and rarely lose fish off of them. I guess it depends on the brand that you use. I've never had hook bend on me either. I can usually bounce the rod tip lightly and use the weight of the spoon to work the hook loose. Works on both vertical and horizontal casts. You may have your drag set to much and be ripping the fishes mouth with a hole large enough that the trebble pops out. I use a lighter drag and don't horse the fish in, reeling just fast enough to keep them heading my way so they can't shake the hook out.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Upgrading hooks on jigging spoons - 07/15/17 10:23 PM

I prefer to have some sort of short shank, EWG treble hook on my jigging spoons. The same hooks I put on my crankbaits, I'll put on a jigging spoon. Just an FYI, the way you work a jigging spoon, you're already half way there on the hook set, so you can get away with a heavier gauge hook and not worry about penetration.
Posted By: Yankinlips

Re: Upgrading hooks on jigging spoons - 07/16/17 12:25 AM

Thank you Bobby and Bigbass for the info, very much appreciated.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum