Texas Fishing Forum

Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader.

Posted By: firefighter196965

Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 03:26 AM

I usually use power pro braid 40 lb. and seagar fluorocarbon 15 lb.on my equipment.
I am an expert on the Carolina Rig so got that down. What I'm pushing myself to throw is the Santone football jig in those areas. What I need to know is what you guys use for line and if you use braid with a flouro leader do you use the Alberto knot? How long a leader if so? Any tips well appreciated.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 04:16 AM

20lb straight flouro will work fine, Alberto for line to line, leader can usually be between 2' to 3'.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 04:47 AM

I really only use braid for frogs, arigs and on my spinning reels with a flouro leader for drop shot, shaky heads and such.
I use 15-20 lb invizx for my football jigs depending on cover.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 04:47 AM

i tried it a few times and kept popping the leader material, so went back to 20# fluoro filled full on the spool.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: firefighter196965
How long a leader if so? Any tips well appreciated.

I use 20lb invis x with football jigs. I do fish braid with a flouro leader with other presentations and like to use a 6-7' leader. This gives me room to retie my lure a few times before I have to attach a new leader to the main line.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
i tried it a few times and kept popping the leader material, so went back to 20# fluoro filled full on the spool.
\
I like flipping with this setup and it is important to back off the drag a little to prevent breaking off on hooksets.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 01:40 PM

When I have used braid to leader set up with FB jigs, I use 20-25lb big game as a leader. The extra stretch in the big game will absorb the shock a lot better, plus it's a whole lot cheaper.
Posted By: StormVet

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 02:49 PM

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of useing braid???? I use braid and use a black sharpie to help camo the line. In Carolina rig water which is normally deep you shouldn't need a leader.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 03:01 PM

I use 50# braid with 20# fluoro leader. Normally, about 4'-5' leader. Gives you room for a few reties. Uni to uni knot. I've caught bass over 10# with it and a few really big catfish. It does just fine.
Posted By: firefighter196965

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/04/17 04:51 PM

Thanks so much for the tips, I'm so excited to teach this old dog a new trick. I hope to use it and be successful at it. Now that I have a place in Little Caney I hope to put it to use. Look for me in the old silver Gambler boat fishing around the quail hollow ramp area until I learn of better spots in the area. Ps- I don't fish tourneys just want to catch a pig.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/06/17 08:09 AM

20 lb. Big Game. It just works.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/06/17 01:00 PM

17-20 lb straight Invizx will get the job done. It's stronger than you realize. Just check your line for nicks and burns every 15-20 casts or so.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Fork+Football Jig+ what line? Thinking about using braid with Fluro Leader. - 07/06/17 04:12 PM

Throw straight braid 90% of the time on it and catch plenty. I think there are very few lales clear enough for the braid to matter
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum