Texas Fishing Forum

Identifying fish on side imaging - need help

Posted By: JC Skeeter

Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/27/17 03:01 PM

I wanted to ask if anyone had any good reading material or videos with preferred ways to set up imaging, how to find fish/view fish/identify fish, etc.

I don't mind doing the reading or watching videos on my own, and I have researched some, but at least for me nothing is really standing out that is helping me. I do better with visuals, if I could see a photo of what fish look like that would help a ton.

I am specifically interested in Lowrance as that is what I use, hds gen 3 touch. I can, or at least I believe I can, find/view fish on down imaging. They tend to be small circles on/near the bottom, and most times I see something on my sonar as well. Sometimes I fish it and catch fish, sometimes I don't. Finding the big ones now that is the difficult part.

However, I need to be able to and want to get better at finding fish that aren't directly below me. I can obviously see a tree or something on side imaging, but can't determine anything else I am seeing and wonder if I am missing fish off to the side that aren't directly below me.

Any info or help you are willing to offer I appreciate from one fisherman to another.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/27/17 03:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/user/imonbass

These are bird units but may help you with the visual. Hint, fish don't look like arcs they way they do on sonar. They'll appear more as white dots on side imaging.
Posted By: Michael.Beaty

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/27/17 04:38 PM

Bbcboards.net has image interpretation forums for all major electronics has helped me alot
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/27/17 05:12 PM

+1 for the BBC Boards interpretation forum. There's good info in there.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/27/17 06:46 PM

One of the things that frustrate me with the side imaging tiny white dots is that they blend into the background too well. They should allow you to turn them neon green so they stand out and it would help. The unit knows the dots are there, but the default white is difficult to see for me.

I like how the Lowrance 3D has the different colors for the returns that are off the bottom and seems to show schools of fish very well, but I've heard the 3D isn't very good unless you're fishing deep 15+.

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/27/17 07:55 PM

What settings are you guys with lowrance using? Like for the background imaging palette, the sensitivity number and the colorline, etc?

I currently have mine set on palette 8, a red looking palette, with sensitivity on A-3 and colorline at 77%. But I see some people using a palette that looks like a light brown.

See on my current set up, I don't see white dots, everything is a red color dot.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/27/17 08:03 PM

Spend the money and go book a trip with Slade Doughtery at Lake Fork. He will set it up for you and give you a hands on tutorial on the water. It's well worth the money. He's the best in the business at this.
Posted By: Big Kev

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/27/17 10:50 PM

+1 on going with Slade, you will not regret it. Look at it this way. You can spend hundreds if not thousands of hours to learn how to tune them and then figure out how to read them. Or spend a little money and have some one set it up and teach you how to do it and how to read it. Unless your time is worthless you will be money ahead hiring Slade. Plus he is the best in the business. He does not charge enough IMO for the value he adds. But that is just my 2 cents. Let me know if you need his contact info. He is on here as well.
Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/28/17 01:30 AM

Thanks

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/28/17 01:11 PM

Slade, can you please PM me?
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Identifying fish on side imaging - need help - 06/29/17 12:48 PM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12282706/@_Shut-Up-And-Fish_*Sales_*Ins#Post12282706
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum