Texas Fishing Forum

How deep is too deep for summer Bass?

Posted By: RudiTexas

How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/26/17 11:10 PM

I know a few spots on my local lake that look like they'd hold fish but they're in 30-50 feet of water. I've yet to fish the spots yet but in y'all's professional opinion, how deep is too deep? Also the lake is more of a river type reservoir with cliffs and and steep rocky banks.
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/26/17 11:16 PM

past the thermocline
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/26/17 11:35 PM

For me overall depth means less to me than the depth the fish are at. I fish 30+ foot of water quite a bit but in a lot of cases the fish may be suspended only 10' down.

As far as targeting fish on bottom goes.......the deepest I have ever caught a Bass on bottom is about 26'.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/26/17 11:47 PM

100+ on lake Travis
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/27/17 12:01 AM

Highly dependent on the lake. On Livingston they are shallow all year around. On Conroe maybe 23 ft before the thermocline develops in early July then they are in 12 to 15 or less. Fork they catch them in 30+ at times.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/27/17 12:03 AM

I have caught them at those depths and deeper on Lake Amistad. It is all about the contour and the irregular feature they are holding on or suspended against.

I fish vertical over the fish which are usually schooled heavily against a bluff or rock cropping protruding off of that bluff. Best spots are in open water where the bluff extends out into the lake from a canyon.
- It takes a really calm day to keep the bait against the wall.
- 1 oz. Bullet Weight Pegged.
- Light wire 4.0 wide gap.
- Big Brush Hog in Green Pumpkin/ Purple Flake.
- Hold it dead still, just like Crappie fishing.

Bringing them up from that depth will cause the air bladder to air up quickly. Be prepared to release them quickly so they will go back to their comfort zone.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/27/17 12:46 AM

Most times on cliff banks, those cliffs will be stair stepped and the fish will use those shelves as a bottom. Actual bottom could be 100', but they might suspend on a shelf in 15-20'. Also, I don't think any depth is too deep for bass until the thermocline develops.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/27/17 03:05 AM

As deep as the thermocline is, is as deep as I'll look for them. I've caught them suspending at 80 ft on Table Rock. Fizz em quick and load the live well and go!
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/27/17 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan_Flovin
past the thermocline
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/27/17 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
As deep as the thermocline is, is as deep as I'll look for them. I've caught them suspending at 80 ft on Table Rock. Fizz em quick and load the live well and go!

Thermocline is the key.
Posted By: Jake94s

Re: How deep is too deep for summer Bass? - 06/28/17 01:08 AM

Theres never too deep of water to catch good fish... the thermocline does play a major role in how deep those fish will be. I've caught good fish on squaw creek in 50ft of water and 40ft on ray roberts. It all just depends on how they are set up and again the thermocline.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum