Texas Fishing Forum

buying a boat

Posted By: cbeathard

buying a boat - 06/22/17 08:51 AM

So, I've been trying to buy a boat, kayaking is starting to get laborious lol.
anyways I'm 21 and haven't established enough credit yet to actually get a loan at the moment but what I don't understand is how people I went to high-school with take 30-40 thousand dollar loans for school but I haven't been able to get 8k for a boat?
Does anyone have any tips, or options I can do to get into something with a motor.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 10:34 AM

Banks have to follow laws and regulations. They have different tiers with regards to things people finance.

Things like cars, homes, education, Ect are considered more of necessities and they can loan to people with lower credit, low history, Ect.

Things like boats, atv's, Motorcycles are considered non essential pleasure toys and they are much more regulated what a bank can do, on top of banks can be much more selective
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 10:39 AM

I think financial institutions believe education is more important than a boat, just a guess on my part. Best advice I can give is start saving and pay cash and you might also apply for a credit card to start establishing your credit.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 10:58 AM

save bro the student loans dont go away Pay cash.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 11:00 AM

Probably cause they know they will get paid in the end.

I heard if you file bankrupt you can't get rid of your student loans, or at least is almost impossible.

While if you file bankruptcy with a boat then it is much easier.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Probably cause they know they will get paid in the end.

I heard if you file bankrupt you can't get rid of your student loans, or at least is almost impossible.

While if you file bankruptcy with a boat then it is much easier.

The Federal government gives out the student loans to anyone with a pulse.

$1.4 trillion and rising...

https://studentloanhero.com/student-loan-debt-statistics/
Posted By: 361V

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 12:05 PM

Prolly not what you wanted to hear but ditto on the above sentiments. A. If you do not see the difference between investing in an education and investing in a boat your education is obviously not finished. B. At least show some intelligence in this area: save your money now for what you want later. Pay cash later or at least save for a sizable down payment. Good luck.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 02:52 PM

You're 21....don't ruin your life yet. No kid deserves to have a bass boat before turning 30, anyways...and remember, never, I mean never, buy a boat on credit. Pay cash or don't buy. Befriend some fishermen on here and use their stuff.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 03:00 PM

in the real world financing an education is a lot more intelligent than financing a boat.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 03:04 PM

I agree with Okie , I saved for 9 years to buy my first boat , cash money is the only money
Posted By: CBoone

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 03:26 PM

You're 21. Save up some money and start with something old and cheap and made of metal. Pay cash. If you don't like it - odds are if you bought it right you'll get your money out of it.

A boat is much more work (things that can go wrong that cost $$$)than your kayak will ever be.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
You're 21....don't ruin your life yet.

Exactly!

Wait until you're at least 24 to ruin your life buying a Boat!! roflmao

I am not a good one to be giving advice on boat buying. I bought my first boat before I had a driver's license! It was a 15' Duck Hawk with a 55 Chrysler. I got it from my neighbor that was upgrading. He let me pay him out weekly. I was sacking groceries at Minyard Food store making $2.65 an hour!!
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: cbeathard
So, I've been trying to buy a boat, kayaking is starting to get laborious lol.
anyways I'm 21 and haven't established enough credit yet to actually get a loan at the moment but what I don't understand is how people I went to high-school with take 30-40 thousand dollar loans for school but I haven't been able to get 8k for a boat?
Does anyone have any tips, or options I can do to get into something with a motor.

One answer....credit union.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 03:48 PM

My advice would be lower your standards for what you want. I remember when I was shopping for a boat when I was 19, wanting to finance 10 grand for something "presentable." Your main focus should be functionality. Save up a couple grand and pay for an older boat. Don't be afraid of an older boat (as long as you get it checked out, especially the transom!!)

I financed and then RE-financed (for more $) my first boat and it was a huge mistake.
Posted By: Jiff7210

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 03:53 PM

I know you probably don't want to hear it but like a lot of others have said. Save up and pay cash.

I started with a 14' aluminum and fished out of it for a couple years, I sold that and bought an older 18' fiberglass. Now I have a 2003 21' boat that I love. I have just consistently upgraded a little over time.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 04:02 PM

I haven't seen anyone ask this but do you have a job or another means to make someone or some bank feel confident you can make the payments for a boat?

My fear is you are looking at getting this $8K and financing it over 10 years to get you a payment that's really low. That would be a bad move as many others have suggested.

On the other hand, if you save $4,000 you would be surprised what kind of nice aluminum boat that would buy you. My first boat was an Xpress 18 with a 115 4 stroke Yami and I paid $8,000 for it in 2009 and I'm pretty sure it was a 2004 or 2005 model. So I would guess you could find that same exact boat right now for about $4K-$5K. It was an awesome first boat.
Posted By: Basscat Puma FTD

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 05:54 PM

I grew up in NW Pennsylvania on Lake Erie and desperately wanted a boat when I was 21 but with College just could not afford it. So I practiced and got really good at shore fishing and making friends with some guys who had boats and fished with them. After that I got married and had a family, had money but not for a boat. Finally at 40 got the first boat, it meant more to me then any other boat I have had since because I knew what I had done to earn it.

lots of good wisdom above in the posts, good luck with your decision, it could be one that affects your future for quite some time.
Posted By: Tc24

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 07:02 PM

As others have said, it's wise to save up & pay cash for something. Don't have to be expensive, just something that'll at least get you out on the water... My first boat was a 10 ft aluminum Jon boat.. Paid about 100,00 for it. Bought a trolling motor off craigslist & a new battery & charger from Walmart.. Added a used fish finder, life jacket, anchor, some padded swivel seats & a paddle...I couldn't go out in the middle of a big lake, but still was able to fish many areas closer to shore, in coves & creeks.. Plus, I could throw it in the back of my truck! I think I only had less than 400.00 in it.. It was worth every penny!

Ps: I actually caught my first 10 lb bass out of it too .... smile
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 07:37 PM

Pay cash for your first boat.
it doesn't need to be a brand-new one.
I didn't get my first boat until I was your age it was an 8 foot bass buster with a 5 hp Mercury and a 50 pound thrust Minnkota.
we decked it out to look like a mini bass boat.

I kept it for a few years sold it and saved to buy a 1983 cheetah bass boat with a 140 Johnson paid 4k$ cash.

Then sold that boat and saved up to buy a 1995 champion with a 150 mariner (10k$) It was probably the most beautiful well kept boat that I have ever owned.

Fished out of that boat for 5 years.
Sold it and put a big down payment on a 2005 Skeeter ZX225.

Kept that Bug for three years then upgraded to my first brand new boat last year.
I'm 34 now it was not easy for me but I kept working hard and it paid off.

it may seem like it will take forever to get where you want to be,
but you have to remember you're only 21 and have your whole life ahead of you!
if you work hard and keep you priorities in order you will have what you want.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 07:50 PM

If you want to finance a boat and have the means to make the payments then give Mike at Classic Boat Loans a call. He finances older, cheaper boats that banks won't touch. I financed a $6000 Champion with him. He's a good guy. You can find him in the Boat Financing section.
Posted By: hogbus

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
If you want to finance a boat and have the means to make the payments then give Mike at Classic Boat Loans a call. He finances older, cheaper boats that banks won't touch. I financed a $6000 Champion with him. He's a good guy. You can find him in the Boat Financing section.

I was wondering if anyone would answer the OP question.
I disagree with the pay cash for everything. Assuming he has the means he could finance using his disposable income. Cut back on eating out, expensive girls, latest electronics etc. Go to local credit union and sit down with someone and ask for help in developing a situation where you can get a loan. Oh and look like someone worthy of credit, kinda like a job interview. Good Luck. JD
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 09:12 PM

I think many are missing the OP's statement, "able to get $8K for a boat" It doesn't appear he's trying or wanting to purchase new. Having a job and some type collateral will get an $8K loan. You have to start somewhere. And to the OP on how to pay off that $8K loan, perhaps get a part time job until it's paid off.

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: hogbus
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

I was wondering if anyone would answer the OP question.
I disagree with the pay cash for everything. Assuming he has the means he could finance using his disposable income. Cut back on eating out, expensive girls, latest electronics etc. Go to local credit union and sit down with someone and ask for help in developing a situation where you can get a loan. Oh and look like someone worthy of credit, kinda like a job interview. Good Luck. JD

Good point!

Local credit unions usually have better interest rates.
Since you haven't established credit I suggest you try getting a secured loan through a credit union.
Nothing big.

I did that when starting out to build my credit.
pay it to term by that I mean don't pay it off early.
Paying anything off early is great!
but since you're trying to establish credit
They want to see that you are competent and can make your payments.

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: skeeterK
I think many are missing the OP's statement, "able to get $8K for a boat" It doesn't appear he's trying or wanting to purchase new. Having a job and some type collateral will get an $8K loan. You have to start somewhere. And to the OP on how to pay off that $8K loan, perhaps get a part time job until it's paid off.

He stated he hasn't been able to get 8k for a loan.
Posted By: hogbus

Re: buying a boat - 06/22/17 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt
I agree with Okie , I saved for 9 years to buy my first boat , cash money is the only money

So every thing you have is paid for?
Posted By: 361V

Re: buying a boat - 06/23/17 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
You're 21....don't ruin your life yet. No kid deserves to have a bass boat before turning 30, anyways...and remember, never, I mean never, buy a boat on credit. Pay cash or don't buy. Befriend some fishermen on here and use their stuff.

With the loans and terms some morons are signing up for these days it wouldn't even be paid off by the time he was 30!

Re: buying a boat - 06/23/17 02:39 AM

I appreciate yall's input but Don't get me wrong i understand the difference between a loan for school and boat lol, i was just wondering more about the fact that i want a 1/4 or a 1/5 of what they have been taking out. Now i have money saved up but I'm about to pay off my truck and don't want to get rid of it so i was looking at getting a boat for about the same price as my truck, or at least in terms of the monthly payment since i already have it budgeted and a loan will help me build credit..
I have been looking at older boats but quite frankly it's hard to find one that's been taken care of for under 5 grand and the people who have taken care of them want too much for them and think they're the only nice boat on the water! specially not boats from the north and east Texas stump fields. With that being said I want a boat post 2000 which for my price range and income i can afford a 20k boat but I don't want anything that nice or extravagant i should say with it being a first actual boat. I just want something that isn't a POS and will last me a while, at the least thru college. I've been looking a aluminum boats as well, they are great for a little of everything, bow fishing duck hunting and actual fishing but again, cant get a loan for em. I'll keep saving but to be blunt; I'm impatient.
again thanks for all the comments!

Re: buying a boat - 06/23/17 02:45 AM

If I do ever manage to get one ill get one near or at what i pay now for my truck. so 8-10k financed over 3 years, so between 3-400 a month with interest included and I wont sign one with astronomical interest. i want a boat but not so badly it's going to make me go broke. what i want and the money im trying to get i already have budgeted and wont change my lifestyle any more than the fact i will be on the water more.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: buying a boat - 06/23/17 03:12 AM

I also disagree with the wait until you can pay cash.

I financed my boat, put a 10% down payment and I know I will end up paying a little more in the long run.

Just paid off the wife's car, so now paying 2 months worth of payments. Truck just about paid off so I will then be paying 3 months worth of payments every month. At the same time I pay 3 months worth of premium on my house every month.

Certainly the plan for the future is to save enough money to be able to pay cash for vehicles and boats.

Had I waited until I had enough cash to get the boat that I wanted, my kids would have been grown up. They are only young once and I wanted the peace of mind to have a boat/motor with full warranty.

If I were still in Louisiana I could pick up a phone almost anywhere I fished and have 3-4 people within 15 minutes of me if I needed assistance. I don't have that luxury here.

At the end of the day I don't care if I end up paying a little more than the monetary value of the boat, because I can't put a price tag on the time I have spent on the boat with friends and my family.

I bought the boat that I wanted, so there is no buyers regret and I won't be looking for something else a few years down the road.

I was willing to spend more in the long run, so that I could take my kids fishing sooner in a boat that I'm comfortable taking anywhere.

If the OP was tryin to finance a brand new boat, I would understand but that's not what he is planning on doing.

You only live once and there are no guarantees. What if you save for 5-10 years and some tragedy happens and you never get to enjoy what you've been saving for?

Its okay to plan for the future, but live everyday like it is your last as well.

Good Luck.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: buying a boat - 06/23/17 03:48 AM

One thing to add... If you do decide to get a loan, most institutions won't loan for a boat less than a certain amount. Nor will they grant a loan on a boat older than 10 years old. You'll need to look at a short term loan for it anyway.

Re: buying a boat - 06/23/17 04:36 AM

Mike has his license and he makes the loans himself so he doesn't have restrictions that normal institutes have. He also finances older boats. He did my '94 Champion. Was easy process with him all done over the phone. So he is worth taking to if you are really interested
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: buying a boat - 06/23/17 05:18 AM

Cash only man!
I'm 20, paid for all my boats and truck (6) in cash. Started with a kayak, jon boat, then started trading up fiberglass boats. Buy low, sell high.

Re: buying a boat - 06/23/17 05:44 PM

You can save for 5 years and pay cash. For 5 years you just find something else to do with your free time. Alternatively, you can just finance a reasonably priced boat, make payments and have the boat for enjoyment during that 5 years for a little bit of interest. There's nothing wrong with financing as long as you don't get carried away with it.
Posted By: hoghead2007

Re: buying a boat - 06/26/17 03:08 AM

Pay cash
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: buying a boat - 06/26/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricky Taylor
Cash only man!
I'm 20, paid for all my boats and truck (6) in cash. Started with a kayak, jon boat, then started trading up fiberglass boats. Buy low, sell high.

Smart Young Man here!
Posted By: Yllysa

Re: buying a boat - 03/13/19 10:58 AM

I had the same situation! Started from simplest, the earn a little, sell the boat, buy another, better one
I've made such thing for a couple of times then stopped
I have everything I need for the time being but when it's not enough, I just take some money for credit (using https://webmoneyloans.com/, as they have good conditions), and my spouse doesn't know about that)))
everything is easy when you think about how to deal with it and ready to wait for some time
the only thing I also want to say - do not use a big credit, better save money and only take a small sum if you critically need it
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: buying a boat - 03/13/19 12:35 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tricky

Re: buying a boat - 03/13/19 12:43 PM

Until you get out of College, think about joining a bass club with non boaters. You can learn a lot and have time to save up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum