Texas Fishing Forum

Copoly vs Mono

Posted By: D Egge

Copoly vs Mono - 06/21/17 06:41 PM

What do ya'll like for topwaters? Does copolymer float like mono or sink like fluoro?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Copoly vs Mono - 06/21/17 06:58 PM

Braid with copolymer leader for walking and popping. Braid for any type of frog or buzzbait.
Posted By: bell0347

Re: Copoly vs Mono - 06/21/17 07:51 PM

I think most copoly sinks but maybe not with the same rate as pure fluoro. I used mccoys (great line for some purposes) for awhile and was having issues with it sinking while trying to work spooks or poppers. I think pure mono or braid with a short mono leader is best.
Posted By: big mike

Re: Copoly vs Mono - 06/21/17 08:25 PM

I think most copolys float. I use Mccoys Mean Green for topwaters and it floats.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Copoly vs Mono - 06/21/17 08:26 PM

I use copolymer on topwaters other than frogs and it works real similar to mono.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Copoly vs Mono - 06/21/17 09:10 PM

Very buoyant copoly--McCoy's mean green
Buoyant copoly--pline cxx
Neutral--pline cx and yozuri hybrid

It all depends on what it is a copoly of
McCoys is a copoly of mono and silicone--extremely buoyant (more buoyant than mono)
The fluoro coated and woven copolies will obviously be less buoyant

There are many other copolies I haven't tried yet (nanofil, hi seas, LFT, etc) but it should say on their websites and/or packaging what the copoly consists of
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Copoly vs Mono - 06/21/17 11:06 PM

I fish McCoys Mean Green and it floats, since the copolymer it is made with is silicone. It actually depends on what the copolymer matter is, some float some sink. I LOVE straight McCoys on all my moving baits, even T-rig and jig, but not for C-rig, too much stretch in it for main line, but I do use it for leader material. STRONG, LOW MEMORY, ABRASION RESISTANT and a good amount of STRETCH is what McCoys does for you. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Copoly vs Mono - 06/21/17 11:24 PM

I prefer mono for topwater, but the P-Line CXX is pretty good stuff in a pinch. It's super strong too. I will also say that, co-polymer is pretty good for vibrating jigs too. That stretch really lets the fish eat the bait well.
Posted By: Wbsetx

Re: Copoly vs Mono - 06/22/17 01:19 AM

Copo
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum