Texas Fishing Forum

ShareLunker analytics

Posted By: Garett

ShareLunker analytics - 06/20/17 03:59 PM

Hello everyone! I decided to import all the data the Toyota Texas ShareLunker program had and turn it into some good looking data. Hope you enjoy!

This view shows the number of ShareLunkers caught during specific moon phases since 1986. The program has a detailed moon phase but i binned them all into smaller categories.

Here is the ShareLunkers caught by moon phase from the last 10 years.

This view shows which lake has the most ShareLunkers. Lake Fork has 257 since 1986

Here is the number of ShareLunker per lake caught in the last 5 years with Lake Fork still leading with 7

Here is the top angler in the ShareLunker program

This is the number of ShareLunkers caught during each month. Keep in mind that the program does not accept 13+ bass caught year round, only specific months.

And lastly, here is the number of ShareLunkers caught since 2010. This declining trend is a little scary, but with it only being June of 2017, this year is looking good.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed this post! Let me know what you think. I am still working on creating a chart that shows the number of ShareLunkers caught on each bait.

Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 04:05 PM

nice job Garett

Fork had 2 caught in 2017 that were not turned in because of the SAL haters.

Fork has had an over abundance of "overs" caught in tournaments this year which should lead to an increase in SAL's in a few years as long as they are not caught by the haters.

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 04:06 PM

Let's hope so! I love the program. It's a great way to keep track of how healthy our bass population is
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 04:09 PM

Nice data! Thanks for posting.
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/20/17 04:17 PM

very well done Thanks
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 04:19 PM

Good job putting together that data. Interesting to say the least.

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 04:22 PM

Thanks guys, I enjoyed it!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 05:00 PM

Interesting data. I wonder if the decline is drought related or related to the loss in confidence or popularity of the program? We all had low water and drought for a while

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 05:20 PM

That's a good point. Hopefully I can keep developing this data. I'll try to import the historical rain levels and overlap them with the data and look for a correlation
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 05:40 PM

In the grand scheme of the fishing world, getting the correct gene pool in a lake is important.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 05:56 PM

Id be interested to hear why they think its declined over the last few years.
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:02 PM

This is great data. Not sure how long it took you to compile it, and it is appreciated. I haven't caught an SAL, but when I do I will only report it if I'm on a lake already known for bass that big. I can't imagine how overcrowded Grapevine (or any lake of its size) would get if a SAL was reported from there.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:13 PM

Can we get a link to the tpwd data straight? If its here and i missed it sorry

Also... O.h ivie seems to not be listed... or im blind

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:23 PM

http://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/sharelunker/archives/lunkersearch_adv.phtml

Here is the raw data file.

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:29 PM

I would love to create a way to accurately record the number is 6lb+ bass caught from lakes across the country and create a chart like these and add weather patterns and such. Then id love to work with a pro to find a correlation in the data for a certain lake before a tournament and try to find a historical pattern for each lake

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:36 PM

Here is the average rainfall since 2010. I would say that's actually a negative correlation to the number of ShareLunkers caught. Increasing rainfall, decreasing ShareLunkers

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:40 PM

actually, if i start the date from 2005 you can see a correlation between the rainfall(top) and the number of ShareLunkers caught(bottom)

Posted By: catslayer

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:49 PM

Makes sense, less water to hide in... bet you see an overall lull post drought due to poor spawns

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:56 PM

O.h. Ivie has had 20 since 2010. But none since 2012. So it doesn't show up in the last 5 year chart. I'm afraid that all time chart has too many lakes to show them all
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:57 PM

Very interesting stuff. Appreciate the effort put it. The rain correlation, in particular, is quite telling. It sort of makes sense though, as when the lakes were down, the average fish size I caught was definitely bigger. I'm
Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 06:58 PM

Thanks ..for the input Garett.

***Sorry Tournament Anglers I usually don't mess with Unders*** winking

TFF SPECIALS - http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...__#Post12298426
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 07:14 PM

Excellent work!
Posted By: buda13

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/20/17 09:09 PM

Awesome. Thanks for posting!!
Posted By: uacdub

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/20/17 09:11 PM

Great Stuff!!! Here is some additional data. Here are the lures that have caught 4 or more Bass in the program. The Weights are all in 1LBS intervals (i.e. 12-13LBS, 13-14LBS, Ect.) Sorry in advance for the formatting. This is the best I could do, lol.

Posted By: Dr JL

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/20/17 10:33 PM

I never use a spinnerbait when I'm big bass fishing....oops...

Cool data.
The rain data might have more than one explanation.

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/20/17 10:35 PM

Nice chart with the baits! I'll try and add that into my data if you don't mind
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/20/17 11:42 PM

So....why break down the jigs to all the different trailers? A "jig n pig" is pretty much the same (and slang a lot of times for) jig and craw....also when asked what I caught em on...I'll just say a jig. I normally don't say what the trailer is.

The chart lumps all spinner baits into one category and separates jigs according to trailer description(or lack their of) making it seem as if the spinner in the big bait of the century.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/21/17 12:41 AM

And I'm sure the bait data isn't 100% correct. I know I said jig at the time but my Sharelunker was caught on a swimbait. Imagine that....a fisherman not saying exactly what he caught it on lol
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/21/17 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
And I'm sure the bait data isn't 100% correct. I know I said jig at the time but my Sharelunker was caught on a swimbait. Imagine that....a fisherman not saying exactly what he caught it on lol
I caught one last year on Waco that we decided to release instead of donate....I told the guys that were there just about every different kind of bait except what, how , and where I caught it. Lol. I was prefishing for the working mans championship and thought I was being slick.

I didn't even place in the money the following week.
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/21/17 02:44 AM

I just don't think people wanna risk it anymore.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/21/17 03:46 AM

never understood why people have to not tell the truth on what bait they caught it on, it's not like you tell someone you caught it on a chicken nugget and now everyone that fishes with a chicken nugget is gonna go out and catch a sal. we all want i data to be accurate but it's only as accurate as we make it so that's beneficiary to everyone, otherwise we all are just chasing something that we may never catch. and in reality whatever bait you put in her face and she's hungary she's gonna suck it in..
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/21/17 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Cheesehead Wes
I just don't think people wanna risk it anymore.

Risk what?
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/21/17 04:19 AM

The death of the fish
Posted By: uacdub

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/21/17 12:43 PM

Yea the "Caught On" data is kind of all over the place. Lizard, Black Lizard, ect. Still fun data too look at even if its choppy (pun intended).
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/21/17 12:47 PM

The main issue with the whole thing is not much is confirmed.

I am sure there were some SAL caught on live bait or another type of lure other than reported

I was told some of the SAL from Fork actually came from other lakes Mill Creek back in the day

Just some food for thought
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/21/17 05:54 PM

Very good data but I'd be hard pressed to rely on "fishermen's tales" accuracy.

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/22/17 03:07 PM

Hopefully we will get better data as time goes on!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 06/23/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Dr JL
I never use a spinnerbait when I'm big bass fishing....oops...

Cool data.
The rain data might have more than one explanation.

That's why you never catch any big fish!!

bolt

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/23/17 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Garett
actually, if i start the date from 2005 you can see a correlation between the rainfall(top) and the number of ShareLunkers caught(bottom)

I need to hire you buddy! You put together better charts & graphs than some of my sales guys!!
thumb

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/23/17 10:23 PM

Sign me up! I'm currently the data guy for an engineering company but fishing is my passion!
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/24/17 01:43 AM

Tired Head

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/24/17 03:24 AM

Not sure what that means sir
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/24/17 03:49 AM

Great stuff, thanks for taking the time to make the charts. thumb
Posted By: BThomas

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/24/17 01:21 PM

Good Stuff Garett !!!! Thanks for sharing.

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/24/17 02:20 PM

You're welcome everyone. Let me know if y'all think of something I should add to it!

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 06/24/17 02:54 PM

Sign me up! I'm currently the data guy for an engineering company but fishing is my passion!

Sent ya a PM

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/01/18 04:22 AM

Bumping, how many of you are excited to see some better analytics with the new sharelunker program?
Posted By: Thomas H.

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/01/18 04:59 AM

Bumping, how many of you are excited to see some better analytics with the new sharelunker program?

No sharelunkers so far....
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/01/18 01:17 PM

I think the new tweaks to the sharelunker program is going to be a data gold mine. I'm very excited about it. Hopefully they'll keep everything public. I've spent countless hours pouring of the sharelunker data set and many others like it. One of the more interesting trends I discovered is that the number of big fish on hardbaits has trended down over time while the number on plastics has trended up. In my mind it could be a couple of different things.

1. It could be plastics have just become a lot more popular and are getting more fishing hours
2. It could be bass more easily become educated to hardbaits (spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, crankbaits etc..).

It could also be a little bit of both. Anyway, cool stuff I've long been interested in the same things! Big data has a lot to add to the world of fishing.

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/01/18 01:52 PM

Big data definitely has a lot to add to the bass fishing world. I sure hope the program posts their new data for me to make some more visualizations.
Posted By: Richard McCarty

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/01/18 04:19 PM

Big data definitely has a lot to add to the bass fishing world. I sure hope the program posts their new data for me to make some more visualizations.
. There are a few discrepancies in the data, such as the fact that one of Jim Gore’s SAL fish was a giant male, and one of the SAL fish was a picked up floater that was revived, and another angler that claims his multiple SALs from Fork, were actuall caught at another lake and he wanted to keep that a secret, and another that has caught multiple SALs actually put one into his private pond and caught it again.

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/02/18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Richard McCarty
. There are a few discrepancies in the data, such as the fact that one of Jim Gore’s SAL fish was a giant male, and one of the SAL fish was a picked up floater that was revived, and another angler that claims his multiple SALs from Fork, were actuall caught at another lake and he wanted to keep that a secret, and another that has caught multiple SALs actually put one into his private pond and caught it again.

Are you kidding me?? One of Gore's fish was a male??
Posted By: Richard McCarty

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/02/18 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

. Yep, caught male and female off same bed. I guess the program needed a “ Lunker” male. 6.5 lbs

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/02/18 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

. Yep, caught male and female off same bed. I guess the program needed a “ Lunker” male. 6.5 lbs

Oh okay. Now I recall seeing the 6.5 on the sheet. I thought you were saying one of the 13 pluses he entered was a male. OMG
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/03/18 02:27 AM

What "angler" is on the list for netting a floating fish?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/03/18 10:56 AM

I think the data will show the same lakes that put out 13+ also put out 8+....
Posted By: Denny Crane

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 03/04/18 10:21 PM

Richie White .... bassfishing.org started like with me at T.I. in the mid 90's that guy was a Database analyst like no other. He then took volumes of data and has since collected volumes and has what few realize as the most through DB on earth.

It was flat out crazy to follow it one day... full moon fish from 9am - 2 pm Blu Liz 6-10 ft Garrett & Lake Fork Creek 90+ % chance for a 10lb. and we caught one. He all but guaranteed we'd see have one on or catch one.

I sure hope he sees this and adds his .02 Great, knowledgeable a person as you'll even meet.

Denny

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 07/10/18 04:24 PM

I’m about to bring this thread back with new analytics for this past season. Is there any data that I didn’t provide last time that y’all would like to see? Would love all the input I can get!
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: ShareLunker analytics - 07/10/18 04:43 PM

I did this data analysis one time and it showed most were caught on plastics and jigs and the color being black / blue or black and blue.
If I remember correctly, many times color was not mentioned, only type of bait.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 07/10/18 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkLodge

What "angler" is on the list for netting a floating fish?

https://officiallakeforktrophybass.com/texas-fish-stories/

Re: ShareLunker analyics - 07/11/18 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Denny Crane
Richie White .... bassfishing.org started like with me at T.I. in the mid 90's that guy was a Database analyst like no other. He then took volumes of data and has since collected volumes and has what few realize as the most through DB on earth.

It was flat out crazy to follow it one day... full moon fish from 9am - 2 pm Blu Liz 6-10 ft Garrett & Lake Fork Creek 90+ % chance for a 10lb. and we caught one. He all but guaranteed we'd see have one on or catch one.

I sure hope he sees this and adds his .02 Great, knowledgeable a person as you'll even meet.

Denny

+1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum