Texas Fishing Forum

Hook set issues. Need some advice

Posted By: TravisRage

Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 06:38 PM

Up here in NY it's post spawn now and I'm not sure that's some part of the issues I'm having. Im losing my mind on lost fish. Ill throw out a bottom bait(jig or senko) and on the fall ill feel weight or see the fish swimming off with my bait. Ill reel to feel pressure and slam the hook. After 2-3 turns of the reel the come un buttoned.

Big algae bloom going on strong too. Not sure what the issue is. Feel like they are just holding the bait and not enhailing it. happened with multiple setups frown any experience with this?

Thanks guys
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 07:05 PM

they could be feeling the weight for too long or they are feeling you and letting go.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 07:12 PM

Don't pause till you feel them...they feel you then too. If the line jumps, slam it home.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 08:14 PM

Agreed w/above. If you THINK you have a bite try crossing their eyes. Especially with the jig. Try a sweeping hookset w/the Senko especially if weightless. Regardless sounds like you maybe waiting too long if they are swimming with it.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 08:25 PM

All depends on gear and location. One of the best jig fisherman in the world lets them take the jig for a second or so before setting the hook, so find what works for you.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 08:38 PM

Could be crappie. Caught some hogs this year on jig. Good thump and swim off with it. Just like a bass. Also could be smaller bass just grabbing tail.
Posted By: TravisRage

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 09:39 PM

Ya it was weird I was sight fishing some of them and saw them half eat the bait and one darted over to it only to suck it in and blow it out before I could set the hook. I think some video review will help

Thanks guys!
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 09:41 PM

Using Trokars?
Posted By: BriDroid

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: 5Redman8
Using Trokars?

+1

My last two trips out Trokar worm hooks and Bang Pure Craw have really increased my hook sets.
Posted By: Cole P

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/18/17 11:55 PM

Sounds like your problem is your allowing your line to go slack -- and when you get hit on a slack line your losing your fish.

My suggestion would be, to try to keep your line tighter and don't let your rod get to a position where you can't readily set the hook. If you can avoid having to "reel to feel the pressure" you should get a better hookup.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/19/17 12:15 AM

Not using the right scent. I can help with that.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/19/17 12:21 AM

Shorten bait and I use a #4 hook thumb peep
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/19/17 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: BriDroid
Originally Posted By: 5Redman8
Using Trokars?

+1

My last two trips out Trokar worm hooks and Bang Pure Craw have really increased my hook sets.

I was asking for the opposite reason....I was losing fishing way too much using Trokars.

Everyone needs something that works for them...once you find it..you know it
Posted By: mwbmod74

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/19/17 12:41 AM

Just look up Fat Cat Newton on youtube, he will teach you all you need to know about hook sets! Boom goes the DYNAMITE!!!! Hahaha..
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/19/17 01:36 AM

I have issues with this from time to time.
I even get the bait back without a mark on it.
These could be smaller fish. Competition is fierce in schools with smaller fish. They grab a bait and run with it to get away from the other fish then they stop and swallow.
I down size to a shaky head and use small trick worms and the hook up ratio is better but the fish are smaller.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/19/17 03:49 AM

Fish ain't got hands, you feel a bump or line moves, cross dem eyes boy!
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/21/17 12:40 PM

We all miss some fish how many are you missing 50% ? A good rod helps, One that's M with a fast tip. If your rod is light it's harder. Then check your drag. To light and it's slipping when you set. I don't use Troker hooks they are to heavy and cause a soft plastic to sink more. Also here at Sandlin it's been so clear I can see the 4" brem tap my bait and I can feel it. I don't consider that a miss...good luck.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/21/17 03:09 PM

Switch hooks, use a straight shank hook, and possibly no offset. When pre fishing I almost always fish with Offset hooks where the point in directly under the eye. When I run into issues like this, I always change the hook.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Hook set issues. Need some advice - 06/21/17 03:11 PM

I think the rod is the key.. when I first started Senko fishing.. I was using a rod that didn't have enough backbone to set the hook. I had a lot of fish come off like that.

BD
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum