Texas Fishing Forum

Do baby brush hogs catch big fish?

Posted By: LeonSulak

Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 02:14 AM

Catching numbers on them, but most seem to be 2lbs or less. Wondering if I need to upsize to the regular brush hog.

Thanks for the input
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 02:15 AM

They will catch big fish.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 02:21 AM

If a chicken nugget can catch a big fish anything can catch a big fish.

You are just not fishing where the biguns are or the biguns want a different presentation.
Posted By: The Rodfather

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 02:47 AM

Is a 50# robin fat!?
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 03:25 AM

Terrible bait to catch big green fish on!!
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 03:26 AM

I've had a few DD's on them. They will catch whatever size bass you get it in front of.
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 03:37 AM

Partner caught an 8.05 at Ray Roberts last week. They catch em.
Posted By: Jons3825

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: The Rodfather
Is a 50# robin fat!?

The Robin I knew was much more robust....
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 03:42 AM

I have caught one fish on them. It was all of 10-11". Lizards, same color same brand, are money every week. I don't know why. They are very similar in shape.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I have caught one fish on them. It was all of 10-11". Lizards, same color same brand, are money every week. I don't know why. They are very similar in shape.

Surprised. They love them on pool. That's my go to flipping bait
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 10:54 AM

Not a chance!
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 11:10 AM

Nope send them all to me i will dispose of them properly
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 11:45 AM

They dont catch anything over 2lbs. Your observation was correct.

Please send them all to me. Thank you.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 12:22 PM

I'm up to 4 lbs. now for a bass using ultralight gear, a little tiny grub that makes a baby brush hog look like Godzilla.

I think it is just what catches their attention one day, something else the next day . . . even a few minutes later.

Brad

P.S. Not sure what the deal is with lizards but they do seem throw off some sort of signal that says "catch me, eat me" to bass.
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 12:48 PM

If frogs still bump their butts every time they jump.....yes.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 12:59 PM

A buddy of mine caught a giant bag over 30lbs in a Century Bass Club tournament once on Cypress Springs Carolina rigging baby brush hogs if I remember correctly. He had some hawgs in that bag.
Posted By: TexanTiger

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 01:14 PM

i fish baby brush hog almost exclusively ( i just like numbers) i would say majority of what i catch is 2 pounds but i usually pull a 4 to 6 out every other trip or so, biggest with a BBH is 7.4
Posted By: Jswanz58

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 02:11 PM

Yes
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 04:20 PM

only if you show it to them.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: loves2fish
Catching numbers on them, but most seem to be 2lbs or less. Wondering if I need to upsize to the regular brush hog.

Thanks for the input

It's not the size of the brush hog, it is where you are fishing. Go find some deep humps and Carolina rig them and see what happens.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 05:09 PM

Here are a few tips:
- Let the fish tell you what size bait they are chasing that day. Some days small is better.
- Small Bass are generally more aggressive and will get to the smaller bait before a big fish. Change to the big Hog to slow some of that small fish catch down.
- On many humps and deep water spots Big Bass do not hang out with the smaller Bass and would like to have a larger meal.
- When Big Fish are on a feeding pattern they will take both sizes as offered when they are active.
- When Big Bass are NOT feeding use the big Brush Hog and keep it in front of them as long as the wind will allow you to stay positioned. Drag the Crig slowly a couple of feet and strip line then lift and feel for the fish.
- When fishing vertical over deep ledges use a heavy Trig. with weight pegged. Keep the bait as close to the bluff wall as possible. Hold it dead still and wait for it to load up. Use your depth finder to find these ledge fish in big schools.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 06:18 PM

I have caught several 8 to 8.5lb fish on baby brush hogs. I tend to switch to a brush hog once the bass start migrating to their summer locations, but during spawn I will throw baby brush hog. Now, if I am ,missing a lot of hits on the brush hog, then I downsize to the baby.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 08:33 PM

My go too bait
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Do baby brush hogs catch big fish? - 06/16/17 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Here are a few tips:
- Let the fish tell you what size bait they are chasing that day. Some days small is better.
- Small Bass are generally more aggressive and will get to the smaller bait before a big fish. Change to the big Hog to slow some of that small fish catch down.
- On many humps and deep water spots Big Bass do not hang out with the smaller Bass and would like to have a larger meal.
- When Big Fish are on a feeding pattern they will take both sizes as offered when they are active.
- When Big Bass are NOT feeding use the big Brush Hog and keep it in front of them as long as the wind will allow you to stay positioned. Drag the Crig slowly a couple of feet and strip line then lift and feel for the fish.
- When fishing vertical over deep ledges use a heavy Trig. with weight pegged. Keep the bait as close to the bluff wall as possible. Hold it dead still and wait for it to load up. Use your depth finder to find these ledge fish in big schools.

Good info here. I used to do a lot of night fishing and one of my go to baits was a Gene Larew Hawg Craw that I threw about 90% of the time if I wasn't using a 10" worm. During practice of a Bob Sandlin tournament my buddy caught one over 10lbs but he was using the smaller regular Larews Craw. The next weekend during the tournament I took that info and used the smaller Craw and ended up with four fish that night over 21 lbs. with a solid 6 1/2 lber. I don't know if it was the timing around the full moon being near a time they were hatching or what the reasoning but the smaller Craw definitely made a difference and have seen that repeated many times since then.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum