Texas Fishing Forum

Batteries

Posted By: DeepEastTXFishing

Batteries - 06/15/17 03:03 PM

I just got my Dad's bass boat after he passed away and when I went to recharge the batteries I realized that it needs new ones. I have seen a lot about the AGM vs Gel vs your typical deep cycle battery. What would you recommend? I don't have an unlimited budget but I also want to get my moneys worth. I'm not very educated on batteries so figured I'd try to ask before wasting a few hundred bucks.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Batteries - 06/15/17 03:40 PM

You asked an open ended question.
What boat are you running, what electronics, what motor, what trolling motor? All of this will come into play - if your running a 16' boat w/a 50horse, one small graph and a 45lb 12v trolling motor, you won't need near the battery(s) that I do for a 250SHO w/2 12's and a 9", power poles and a 112lb trolling motor.
Posted By: tm33

Re: Batteries - 06/15/17 03:41 PM

They are pricey, but I chose Optima blue tops. I have had excellent luck with them.
5 years with no noticeable decline in performance. Knock on wood. I have had zero issues.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Batteries - 06/15/17 04:55 PM

I just use Interstate and replace every 3 or so years.
Posted By: DeepEastTXFishing

Re: Batteries - 06/15/17 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
You asked an open ended question.
What boat are you running, what electronics, what motor, what trolling motor? All of this will come into play - if your running a 16' boat w/a 50horse, one small graph and a 45lb 12v trolling motor, you won't need near the battery(s) that I do for a 250SHO w/2 12's and a 9", power poles and a 112lb trolling motor.

Sorry about that. 181 Champion with a 150horse. 55lb 12 v trolling motor and just one hds7. Planning on running two graphs in the future though.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Batteries - 06/15/17 07:19 PM

Before buying find out IF your charger will properly support AGM or,GEL batteries because
those require a different charging profile for longevity.
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: Batteries - 06/15/17 08:48 PM

Optima Blue top. They come with a full 3 year replacement warrant. But you should get 5 years are so.........
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum