Texas Fishing Forum

Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes

Posted By: danceswithbass

Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 02:00 PM

I bought a Falcon weightless worm rod, and missed a lot more fish on it than normal last weekend. Its super sensitive, accurate and casts with nice distance, but I feel like it doesnt have the backbone to drive the hook through on larger fish. Thinking of sending it back and doing an exchange. I mostly throw a split shot rig, but with a probably a 1/16 split shot.

Looking at the G Loomis E6X in a 7MH or Dobyns DC 704SF, thinking they may have a fast enough tip but enough sensitivity. Any thoughts on those two or others?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 02:23 PM

Braid to leader and thinner wire hooks solve a lot of issues with weightless senkos and flukes.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 04:29 PM

I've had good luck with 703, but I'm also looking to upgrade for handling larger fish. I'm looking at the 734 so that I can maintain the same kind of tip but with a stronger backbone. I fish weightless 90% of the time with this setup and usually with a fluke. I haven't tried braid to leader with this setup yet, but I can see the benefits to doing so.

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 04:46 PM

I like thinner wire hook idea as well.
Posted By: EDzx225

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 04:56 PM

Falcon 1610 mh
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 05:09 PM

The Champion 734 is perfect for it
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 05:23 PM

If the thinner wire hooks don't work out for you, the G. Loomis E6XT 853C JWR is a fine rod for what you're needing it for.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Braid to leader and thinner wire hooks solve a lot of issues with weightless senkos and flukes.

^^^^^^^
yep. shouldn't have any trouble sticking a big fish with that setup.

think about it this way, its no problem to hook a big fish using a fairy wand on a drop shot without a hook-set.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 06:32 PM

G Loomis GLX 893C
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 06:33 PM

Use thin Trokar hooks.....they will require a minimum of power to set.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 07:15 PM

The weightless worm is way to light for those baits. I use it for topwater baits and it's good for that. I use a 7' medium heavy trap caster for senkos and flukes unless I'm fishing the big flukes, then I use a heavy.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 07:53 PM

My vote would be for the Dobyns Champion rod. GREAT rod for those applications and still a good amount of backbone in it. Of course, I LIKE the MH rods with a fast tip for a LOT of applications. But, this rod is VERY good for the application you want it for. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 08:43 PM

Duckett Ghost or Veritas 2.0 MH 7'3".

I use 20 lb Flouro.

Gamakatsu 3/0 EWG.

I fish them quite a bit around a variety of cover. If I get a hookset, I seldom lose a fish!
Posted By: Barn

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 09:18 PM

I've caught a lot of big fish on the Cara Weightless Worm rod. What type line & hook were you using? I primary using for wacky rig. 40# braid with 15# Fluoro leader with Gamakatsu wide gap finesse hook.

However, the Finesse Jig Rod is great for weightless Senkos/Fluke too and has more backbone. It use it for weightless texposed with a Gamakatsu superline hook.

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 09:42 PM

Thanks, I have an email into Dobyns to see if someone can give me a call back to firm up my choice. I have a couple of 7'3" TFO bass rods that work fairly well and older Falcon rod. Dobyns is about only rod manufacturer I dont have in the arsenal, so interested to try one

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/14/17 09:51 PM

On flukes I use a Gamakatsu 3/0 EWG. On Senkos, I feel I get better hookups with a round bend offset, usually a 4/0 if potential for big bites is there.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 01:25 AM

Wacky rigged senko type bait I use a 683 Powell Max 3D and fishing the senko and fluke tx. rigged weightless I use a 684 Powell Max 3D, I like a rod shorter than 7ft because for this technique I twitch the baits with the rod tip pointed at the water.

On the tx. rig I use an Owner 4/0 J hook for both the senko and the fluke.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 02:46 AM

I use a Dobyns DX 743, it works very well for flukes and senkos fished weightless.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 03:02 AM

I like the EWGs as well. It adds a little more of a keel to the bait and keeps it from rolling when twitching the bait.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 04:19 AM

If you want to stay with Falcon rods, this year my partner and I have been using a Falcon Cara McCelland 7'2" MH for senkos and split shot flukes. He has used it more than I have and has been bragging how much he likes it. He is pretty hard to impress when it comes to rods. I just need more time on the water with it.

http://www.falconrods.com/mike-mccelland.html
Posted By: Bryanj

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 04:36 AM

I have never like the weightless worm rod for those techniques even though a lot of people do. Finesse Jig Rod is perfect for both techniques. CC-5-1610MH

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 11:21 AM

^^^^ that would be my other pick of falcon rods. I own a couple of them. Coach
Posted By: Jedfish

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 03:48 PM

I fish flukes A LOT and my normal fluke rig is the Dobyn's Champion 703C. I love that rod for flukes, both the standard 5" and the mag 7". Unfortunately it has a broken guide and I just haven't replaced it yet so in the meantime I have been using a H20 Express Matrix 7' MH Fast w/micros and I must say that, for a rod that was apparently originally part of a combo which I talked the managed down to $50 bucks for, I really really like that setup...you know, if you are on a budget. Just my $.02
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 05:20 PM

4/0 trokar ewg is all you need.

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 06:02 PM

Just to close the loop, I called Dobyns and walked the gentleman on the phone through what I was trying to do and the issues I had with the Falcon weightless worm, and he recommended a Champion 704C, so its on order with some thinner wire hooks to go with it

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 06:23 PM

I think you will like it. I have the 703c. It's good but sometimes I'd like more backbone.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 07:01 PM

TFO 7'3" MH
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Recommend a rod for fishing Senkos / Flukes - 06/15/17 07:09 PM

I am sure you will enjoy it and it will fit the bill for you. CONGRATS!!!!!!!! Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum