Texas Fishing Forum

Texas & Carolina Rigs - When to use each?

Posted By: Klinker

Texas & Carolina Rigs - When to use each? - 06/13/17 11:26 PM

I have really never used a Carolina Rig.....only a Texas Rig. What are the conditions that call for a Carolina Rig over a Texas Rig? Is it as simple as Texas under say 10ft and Carolina for anything deeper than 10ft? I am pretty much a bank beater and hope to develop some deeper water skills this year. I am planning to add Carolina Rigs and Football Jigs as the summer heats up. Obviously I am not a terribly accomplished bass fisherman, but I am always eager to learn new tactics.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Texas & Carolina Rigs - When to use each? - 06/13/17 11:29 PM

You can use a Carolina rig in shallow water as well, just downsize the weight.

I mostly use it in deeper water. A Carolina rig is what I learned to fish offshore with. It's a really easy rig to feel around for bottom composition and I think that builds confidence in fishing deep whenever you're dragging it over stuff that feels good.
Posted By: Neches

Re: Texas & Carolina Rigs - When to use each? - 06/13/17 11:36 PM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12282446/Searchpage/1/Main/983571/Words/Carolina+/Search/true/Re:_Carolina_rig_vs._Texas_rig#Post12282446
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Texas & Carolina Rigs - When to use each? - 06/14/17 12:37 AM

I have 4 Crigs tied on and ready to go. This is what I use them for. Two are for shallow water and 2 are for deep water.
- Shallow water Crigs. -
I use 20# floro. up shallow and in heavy cover.
- Weight is 1/32 oz. tungsten with a 16 inch leader. I use a Fluke, Ring fry and senko on this one, casting between the bushes and along the grass pods.
- Weight is 1/2 oz. tungsten with a 12 inch leader. I use a Brush Hog and fish it across rocky points, parallel with the grass line and underwater bushes out to 10 ft.. I slow roll this rig just like a spinner bait letting it tick the bottom when on rocks as I bring it back to the boat. When it hits brush or a underwater grass pod I let it stay there for a few seconds and wait for the bite on a tight line. Many times they will try to take the rod out of you hand.

- Deep Water Crigs. -
I use 17# floro. out deep with less cover. Many lakes will have heavy cover at 20 to 30 feet. If that is the case then I step it up to 20# and on lakes like Falcon on up to 25#.
- One is set up for calm days with very little wind. It is 3/8 oz. with a 24 inch leader. I fish it with a Baby Brush Hog on a 2.0 wide gap, light wire hook. It is great for fishing the heavy river trees and deep ledges as it doesn't get hung and have to break of as often.
- My last rig is set for windy days at only 1/2 oz. and long 3 ft. leader on 30# BRAID. I use the big Brush Hog on a 4.0 Wide gap light wire hook. I am fishing the boat backwards most of the time going with the wind and using the TM to stay on contour and slow down the drift. I drag the bait a few feet and strip line, not feeling for the bite until I pick up the line to move the bait again this short distance. Try to fish as slow as possible.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum