Texas Fishing Forum

Football Jigs

Posted By: AdvTX

Football Jigs - 06/13/17 05:48 PM

School me on FB jigs! I love flipping jigs and have done really good for years, but haven't got into football jigs. Which ones do I need? and where do I get them in Dallas? Thanks

3/4 or 1 oz?
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Football Jigs - 06/13/17 05:49 PM

3/4 oz. Santone in Mexican Heather and Pinto Beans and Carrots. I also like the Fouzman color.
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Football Jigs - 06/13/17 06:13 PM

Yep Santone for me also. They flat out catch fish!
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Football Jigs - 06/13/17 06:17 PM

Check out Fishin' World on Lovers Lane. They had a good selection last time I was there.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Football Jigs - 06/13/17 06:20 PM

Santone and Oldhams's. 3/4 oz for 90% of your fishing.
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Football Jigs - 06/13/17 06:40 PM

Santone, Oldhams, and if your fishing them in timber I like the Mpack. I use 3/4 oz like 90% of the time. Can't go wrong with any variation of green pumpkin.

Re: Football Jigs - 06/13/17 08:00 PM

I placed an order on TW

thanks
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Football Jigs - 06/13/17 11:16 PM

A new one I have been using is the V&M football jig. Hangs up a LOT less than the old Santone I used to use. One jig lasted me 2 months where I would have went through 6-8 other brands. Even used it to win a tournament on Palestine

After two months of rocks, brushpiles, bridges, tires, and docks . Still sticky sharp.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Football Jigs - 06/14/17 12:59 AM

This is the one I build that has 1/2 inch dome eyes. Each eye has a BB under the dome for the sound chambers. It is 3/4 oz. and the eyes protrude making it a Football jig.

Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Football Jigs - 06/14/17 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
This is the one I build that has 1/2 inch dome eyes. Each eye has a BB under the dome for the sound chambers. It is 3/4 oz. and the eyes protrude making it a Football jig.

Thats pretty cool Donald.

Re: Football Jigs - 06/14/17 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
A new one I have been using is the V&M football jig. Hangs up a LOT less than the old Santone I used to use. One jig lasted me 2 months where I would have went through 6-8 other brands. Even used it to win a tournament on Palestine

After two months of rocks, brushpiles, bridges, tires, and docks . Still sticky sharp.

SR I ordered 4 of those and 4 Santones to try out. The V&M Adrenaline Flipping Jig is a great jig with a Paca sr.

Donald those look good, thank you for your response

My wife/daughter go to Maryland this Friday for 15 days. I'm about to check 3 or 4 lakes off my list.
Posted By: pkskeetersr

Re: Football Jigs - 06/14/17 11:07 AM

Skeeter Ronnie what size works best for you
Posted By: JDJ01

Re: Football Jigs - 06/15/17 01:18 AM

3/4 santone. Color of your choice
Posted By: Slade

Re: Football Jigs - 06/15/17 04:26 AM

I throw one all the time. Use a plug knocker when you get hung up and you will retrieve them 80-90% of the time, unless you think its a bite and you set the hook on a stump. Who said hooksets where free? lol

Re: Football Jigs - 06/15/17 04:31 AM

For me at least the bigger fish, 8#'s or more, the bites are very subtle, many times you will think you felt something kind of and set the hook for good measure and you will have a toad on there. I mix and match colors but stick with the basics for the most part. I am becoming a football jig snob, I prefer to throw one on an NRX 7'1" HVY, (854), with a super smooth reel and a spool of 20# floro without a blemish in the line anywhere. The bites are subtle, and I want to feel everything, frog fishing has always been my favorite way to catch them, but if you are hunting for bigger fish, there is nothing better in my humble opinion.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Football Jigs - 06/15/17 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Slade
For me at least the bigger fish, 8#'s or more, the bites are very subtle, many times you will think you felt something kind of and set the hook for good measure and you will have a toad on there. I mix and match colors but stick with the basics for the most part. I am becoming a football jig snob, I prefer to throw one on an NRX 7'1" HVY, (854), with a super smooth reel and a spool of 20# floro without a blemish in the line anywhere. The bites are subtle, and I want to feel everything, frog fishing has always been my favorite way to catch them, but if you are hunting for bigger fish, there is nothing better in my humble opinion.

Everything in this post...x2, excellent description and I use the same setup. Every DD I've caught on jig, I was barely able to feel the bite, and a few of them just started swimming with it. Never felt the "tick".
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Football Jigs - 06/15/17 06:46 PM

BOSS Standup Jig Head and tie your own skirts (Skirts Unlimited) to save money if you fish jigs a lot!!
Posted By: 1214

Re: Football Jigs - 06/15/17 09:07 PM

go check out hop it jigs
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Football Jigs - 06/15/17 10:43 PM

Same as guy above but I use a 893. I catch fish on them all the time. All my big fish but 3 came on them. The subtle hits I'm still trying to figure out. lol I lost 5higs yesterday alone. I throw them a lot. But I caught a 7/5 /4 and few 3.5s yesterday.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Football Jigs - 06/15/17 11:23 PM

I really like Missile Bait's Ike's Head Banger jig. Seem to hang up less, especially in rocks. Peanut butter and jelly color with green pumpkin Rage Bug trailer. Almost exclusively use 3/4 oz size.
Posted By: barryfish

Re: Football Jigs - 06/17/17 12:55 AM

i just crappie fish with jigs lol

Re: Football Jigs - 06/17/17 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: barryfish
i just crappie fish with jigs lol
Crappie fishing on lake Arlington, sounds fun
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Football Jigs - 06/17/17 10:28 PM

I use 1/2 or 5/8 V&M footballs
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Football Jigs - 06/18/17 12:28 PM

Santone!
Posted By: perrypogue

Re: Football Jigs - 06/18/17 03:20 PM

Good Thread ... I just placed an order for several Santone jigs ... been wanting a smaller hook for easier penetration ... couldn't find one until this thread and Santone's finesse jig with a 3/0 hook was what I wanted.
Posted By: Joey J.

Re: Football Jigs - 06/18/17 06:26 PM

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the Talon custom jigs. I usually order them online, but I'm sure you can find them in the Dallas area.

http://talonfishing.com/talonseriescustomweedlessfootballjig-2.aspx
Posted By: BASS420

Re: Football Jigs - 06/18/17 11:23 PM

3\4 oz football MOP jig by buckeye lures. Living rubber skirt stands straight up and put a hart rattle chunk with floating claws. Looks like a defensive crawdad. We all no what bass do to them crawdads! Mash on em! Best football jig in my opinion.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Football Jigs - 06/22/17 11:14 PM

V&M Pacemaker Flat Line Football Jig or https://www.facebook.com/HiYahBaitCo/
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Football Jigs - 06/23/17 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Joey J.
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the Talon custom jigs. I usually order them online, but I'm sure you can find them in the Dallas area.

http://talonfishing.com/talonseriescustomweedlessfootballjig-2.aspx

I tried them years ago and for me they seemed to hang up more than other football head jigs.

I now use V&M, Santone, and MPack.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Football Jigs - 06/23/17 09:57 PM

Dirty Jigs makes a very nice football head.
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: Football Jigs - 06/27/17 02:59 PM

Are the Strike King football jigs any good?
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Football Jigs - 06/27/17 04:46 PM

These are some of the jigs I use, Jim Lewis @ Screwy Lewy Lures builds them.

Wire tied, 5/0 Mustad, live silicone, etc...link to the website is in my sig

Posted By: Sunbae

Re: Football Jigs - 07/02/17 03:18 AM

Dirty Jigs are popular, but I've yet to find a local tackle shop that carries them in DFW. Fishin' World by Love Field Airport does have an abundance of Santone and M-Pack jigs. I haven't dabbled in the Santones, but I'm a huge fan of M-Pack's jigs (they are a bit pricey though). I don't really find myself using football jigs anymore, as I've switched over to wobble-heads and whatever soft plastic I have on hand for my bottom dragging. I recommend trying it as a less bulky alternative.
Posted By: aking

Re: Football Jigs - 07/02/17 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Sunbae
Dirty Jigs are popular, but I've yet to find a local tackle shop that carries them in DFW. Fishin' World by Love Field Airport does have an abundance of Santone and M-Pack jigs. I haven't dabbled in the Santones, but I'm a huge fan of M-Pack's jigs (they are a bit pricey though). I don't really find myself using football jigs anymore, as I've switched over to wobble-heads and whatever soft plastic I have on hand for my bottom dragging. I recommend trying it as a less bulky alternative.

Fun N Sun in Hurst has Dirty Jigs.
Posted By: Agape

Re: Football Jigs - 07/02/17 10:52 PM

Cabelas has their jigs on sale. Had a decent stock.
Lots of V&M and MPack jigs.
Price didn't show on rack but did when rang up.
Online has the price........
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum