Texas Fishing Forum

Tournament Manners ?

Posted By: Ol'geezer

Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 12:38 PM

I went to my local lake (Lavon) Saturday Morning. Showed up at ramp around 5:30 am to my surprise the ramp was empty but lane to get there was blocked with a line all the way through parking lot. Got boat ready to launch, I'm by myself . I'm slow, turned off lights, put boat in on side, to be out of their way. Still got dirty looks. 5:55 am went on pad headed to a spot for top water fishing and got almost ran over by one of the tournament guy's going to same point. He beat me there no problem I went up in cove , tried to talk to the man and he wouldn't even let me know which direction he was going to fish. another boat came up and they started talking ( I asked if this was the first time fishing Lavon? )They didn't answer, I left and went to dam to fish rip-rap a couple of hours later one of the boats I just left came between me and the bank ( I was around 30 yards from bank)tying on different lure. Question is DO TOURNAMENT FISHERMAN HAVE PRECEDENT OVER LOCALS ?
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 12:53 PM

Apparently the wannabes, in their opinion, do have precedent. Gotta remember, in their mind, they're fishing the Bassmaster Classic every time they hit the water.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 12:55 PM

If you see these two items, Yes Tournament fisherman have precedent and you should yield the water

peep
Posted By: 9094

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 12:56 PM

No. But there are a lot of guys that pull in on you or block you and they don't speak because they know they done you wrong.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 01:15 PM

It seems like most tournament guys don't have manners because those are the ones you notice. While someone is being a jerk to you, lots of other teams are off doing their own thing, respecting other fishermen. Something about the competition makes some people lose their manners, I guess. It would probably bother me more if I wasn't just fun fishing.

I've had a few bad experiences but here's one I had at the High School championship on Ray Roberts. A boat with one angler was fishing up and down a bank. I couldn't tell which way he was going so I told him that I didn't want to cut him off so which way was he going? The boy said that I could go on either side and he would fish the other way. He also threw in lots of "sirs" along the way. I told him that he could have the whole bank and I moved on to another area. Good behavior should be rewarded.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 01:46 PM

My favorite part with tourney guys is the cold silent stare through their sunglasses as you idle by and wave or smile being friendly. They don't have time for that nonsense. I also love the 5'6" guy in the jacked up truck with the 21 foot Ranger or Skeeter. Those guys are my favorite. ....... "secret"...... safe. wink
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 01:48 PM

Tournament anglers don't have precedent. The guys that are jerks when fishing tournaments are also jerks when just fun fishing. Its their nature. I have had just as much rude behavior from recreational folks so I would not paint too big a stripe with the brush.

We had boat trouble as soon as we launched at Bass Champs on Tawakoni last weekend. We had to use trolling motor most of the day. We had one area that was good sized to work. We were on the inside of the spot and another boat was on the outside. They started catching fish so we made damn sure we stayed out of their way and just fished that inside cut. We were not gonna go around the point even though they were far enough away where we could have. They were going up and down it. Never had a single issue with them at all and the area kicked out limits for both of us though obviously the better bite was on the outside of it. It was frustrating to see them get more and bigger bites than us and knowing we were limited on where we could go but no way we would encroach on them.
Also later in day we moved out on the point leading into the creek. Saw a guy dragging a roadbed fishing out towards the main lake so we cut up shallow on the bank and started fishing some willows. Almost as soon as I made the first cast I realized I had misjudged the direction he was travelling. Stopped fishing, apologized when he got close enough to hear us and told him we would get out of his way. He insisted we stay and fish the spot. Made some small talk, joked around and he even cheered when we caught a few fish there and they culled out a couple. Really nice guy and while we were both in the same event it goes to show not all tournament guys are jerks. A little common courtesy and respect go a long way.

Few years back when Media Individual was drawing large numbers I had my sunglasses blow off my dash in the last event of the year early that morning. Came across the guy that was leadig AOY at the far end of the lake and the sun was high and bright. He asked me how was I fishing with sunglasses. Told him what heappened and he insisted on him running back down to marina to get a spare pair of his truck. I appreciated his offer but refused.

Point is lots of good people out there fishing tournaments.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 01:53 PM

This is absolutely ridiculous, this board has assured us that this kind of behavior only happens in High School Tournaments, and there aren't any of those going on right now.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 01:55 PM

You know I have had people try to talk to me, most of the time i cannot understand them. Guess my hearing is getting worse.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 01:55 PM

I fish wearing only a florescent thong, nobody ever seems to fish close to me.... nuts

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
This is absolutely ridiculous, this board has assured us that this kind of behavior only happens in High School Tournaments, and there aren't any of those going on right now.

Guess I missed the posts that specifically stated its only HS events that have stuff like this happen. I did see a couple of HS events get pointed out just the same as it gets pointed out in other non HS events.
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 02:01 PM

I was out there also Saturday morning. Had some crappie guys do the same thing to me. I just shook my head knowing they didnt have a clue. Take a picture next time.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 02:05 PM

When I was touring & a local was fishing where I wanted to I'd let him know I was fishing for $100,000 & ask him if I could fish around him. On the flip side I've had non tournament anglers anchor literally where I could step into their boat. I was there an hour before they pulled up. I've seen on the he water courtesy go both ways. As a whole the lower level tournaments/big bass get the worst bad behavior from the anglers.
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 02:23 PM

I would not limit this type of behavior to just Tournament Anglers. Sunday on Lake Spence a Red Skeeter put a wave over my bow in Paint Creek. Figure they were not in a tournament since they got there around 1:00, although at least one of them did have on a jersey as noted above. He came off plane for the boat right before me then jumped on plane right before he got to me. Dipped my bow under water on the second wave. The creek is 40 yards wide at the most where I was fishing. I started to chase them down and give them a piece of my mind, but I realized not everyone has manners or common sense. I also have a tendency to escalate situations rapidly so it was best to just let it go. It was probably not intentional and he more than likely has no clue what he did, there is still no excuse as ignorance kills just as much as recklessness.

I just don't understand what is so difficult about showing a little common courtesy and applying some common sense on the water. I am not sure if it is ignorance or a lack of manners that drives this behavior. Someone should write a book on Fishing etiquette.
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol'geezer
I went to my local lake (Lavon) Saturday Morning. Showed up at ramp around 5:30 am to my surprise the ramp was empty but lane to get there was blocked with a line all the way through parking lot.

I have run into this at Jordan Park on Roberts. All four ramps empty but blocked by a tourney waiting for launch time. I just went down the exit lane the wrong way and launched to the dismay of the "pro's".

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
My favorite part with tourney guys is the cold silent stare through their sunglasses as you idle by and wave or smile being friendly. They don't have time for that nonsense. I also love the 5'6" guy in the jacked up truck with the 21 foot Ranger or Skeeter. Those guys are my favorite. ....... "secret"...... safe. wink

Hey! My truck aint jacked up... I am 5'6" it just looks that way.
Posted By: chmp186

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 03:46 PM

My partner and I were also fishing Lavon on Saturday and dealt with the same rude and inconsiderate group of club tournament fisherman. We had multiple occasions where a tourney team would pull right in on top of us while we were fishing, flat out run us over trying to beat us to a spot, or fly in on plane to jump in front of us just to beat us to water they wanted to fish. You would have thought they were fishing for the Forrest Wood Cup and a million bucks the way they were acting. I've fished tournaments for a lot of years and have never had that many bad experiences in a single day of fishing as what we ran across on Saturday.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 04:03 PM

So, what club had a tournament at Lavon Saturday? Lol
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 04:17 PM

popcorn

IBTL or IBTD
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 07:08 PM

Question is DO TOURNAMENT FISHERMAN HAVE PRECEDENT OVER LOCALS ?

No. They don't have anything. Sounds like you were being real patient and trying to communicate and they were being D-bags.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 07:41 PM

Not all tournament fisherman are jags. I have talked to many on the lake while passing each other with trolling motor down and hardly ever do they not engage in some small talk while in range. Some are friendlier than others, but very few times have I encountered really big Ds.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 10:08 PM

If someone is a jerk when it comes to fishing tournament or not............they are more than likley a jerk all the time.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 10:16 PM

Lavon was very bad. I had them drop off plane and fish right on top of the spot I was fishing in two different areas.

I even had to chuckle when a friend was literally surrounded by boats that arrived in a pack. He left the spot and we talked a few before leaving the lake.

I went to my local lake (Lavon) Saturday Morning.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 10:16 PM

If they act like d#cks.... I'll chunk a Little George right in their comfort zone.....
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 10:24 PM

I fish lots of tourneys, I rarely ever have issues on water. In 10 years I can think of maybe 2-3 times I have truly been annoyed. When those times have happened I spoke up right then and there regarding the problem. I'm not saying stuff doesn't happen but I think when some people see a tournament they immediately get a chip on their shoulder.

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222
If they act like d#cks.... I'll chunk a Little George right in their comfort zone.....

I love that urban legend. If you were actually to do it and caused any damage or injury you would be 100% at fault and liable for it. No laws on the books prohibiting someone from fishing too close to you. Also a good way to catch a butt whuppin too.
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 10:29 PM

If you feel they are unsafe or watch them break rules. go talk to the tourement offical. Im sure they would love to know about it.. Safty first and them sportmanship. It is what makes are sport great!

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 11:16 PM

The only urban legend is your theory about a butt whooping.
Truth.
Posted By: Neches

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 11:36 PM

Truth.

You ain't met the right feller, you bad dude you
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 11:38 PM

Truth.

Chuck Norris even lost once. LOL
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/12/17 11:56 PM

Truth.

Bahahahahaba, for the record I agree with Perry on this 200 percent.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 12:16 AM

Internet bullies need love, too.....
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 01:01 AM

I had a guy come up on me in Fun n Sun poker tourney. Literally 20 feet from me. I told him you are getting kinda close aren't you? He told me I needed to get used to fishing close to people. Unbelievable!
Posted By: DJB

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 01:14 AM

This is why I don't go to the lake on weekends or Holidays. Fishing is for fun and relaxation. I enjoy fish ing.

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I love that urban legend. If you were actually to do it and caused any damage or injury you would be 100% at fault and liable for it. No laws on the books prohibiting someone from fishing too close to you. Also a good way to catch a butt whuppin too.

A guy got arrested out here on Memorial Day for chinking a crankbait from his dock and hooking a wakeboarder.
Granted the guys in the boat were being azzhats staying about 40 foot from the docks when the whole lake was calm as glass. But the guy on the dock got arrested for assault.
Posted By: FishGirl71

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: joebass2
Apparently the wannabes, in their opinion, do have precedent. Gotta remember, in their mind, they're fishing the Bassmaster Classic every time they hit the water.

Sadly, there are a lot of tournament guys that think like this. Most of us, though, (at least where I live) are decent people and anglers mostly out to have fun and maybe cash a check with enough luck. I get the idea that tournament anglers don't talk much to other anglers on the water. By tournament rules they are not allowed to ask for, or receive without asking, help from local anglers on the lake. So, I'm sure, depending on the tournament, some a wary about talking to others on the lake. But it sounds like these guys were just jerks. They should have at least had the decency to point a direction when you came upon them and asked which way they were fishing. I'm sorry you had this experience with whoever these jerks were. But there are plenty of decent tournament anglers out there. I hope you get to meet one of them some day. I saw a post on here where someone said "if you see either one of these" - a tournament jersey or a big Merc - I have to say I have both of those and would be more than happy to share water with you... and if I see a local angler in trouble, boat issues or whatever, I will (and have) stop fishing and lend a hand if I can. I'm a tournament angler, and we're not all jerks.... but some of us are and I apologize for them, whether they deserve it or not.

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 01:36 AM

Truth.

No matter how much of a badass you think you are eventually you meet someone just a little badder.

Like I said it's often typed on here about winging baits at someone but it usually results in a "To The Guy In The White Skeeter" posts.....lol
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 02:18 AM

on the way to green valley race city several years ago I witnessed 2 guys in a road rage type event. What happened next was priceless. A guy about 5.5 exited truck and a guy about 6.4 exited car and 5.5 guy hit the giant guy and knocked him out cold with one punch.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 02:25 AM

Truth.

No matter how much of a badass you think you are eventually you meet someone just a little badder.

Like I said it's often typed on here about winging baits at someone but it usually results in a "To The Guy In The White Skeeter" posts.....lol

This is, hilarious.....

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: scruboak
on the way to green valley race city several years ago I witnessed 2 guys in a road rage type event. What happened next was priceless. A guy about 5.5 exited truck and a guy about 6.4 exited car and 5.5 guy hit the giant guy and knocked him out cold with one punch.

If it was green valley that was more than several! You must be old as me.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 03:38 AM

Ive seen it happen more than once. It's KARMA!
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 04:32 AM

Turn your radios on full blast and cut on the big motor if you're just fun fishing
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 04:33 AM

Turn your radios on full blast and cut on the big motor if you're just fun fishing they have money on the line so they probably wouldn't want to risk the fish being spooked off
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 04:36 AM

[quote=Billy Blazer 300 HPDI]If someone is a jerk when it comes to fishing tournament or not............they are more than likley a jerk all the time.

Amen!
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 05:01 AM

Maybe we need a "Miss Manners for Fisherman" sub-forum on TFF? bolt
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 11:19 AM

Imagine the views and comments you would have got if you had an iphone and posted the video on youtube.
Size matters but bada$$es come in all sizes.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 12:47 PM

Yea it does, but I was referring to the guys with a big case of Napoleon syndrome. They are all over the lake and bass fishing attracts a lot of them for some reason.

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 12:49 PM

It is apparent that either the inability to read, or the unwillingness to comprehend, have created a scenario where my words have been misconstrued.
Sad, but true.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 01:00 PM

It is apparent that either the inability to read, or the unwillingness to comprehend, have created a scenario where my words have been misconstrued.
Sad, but true.

I think everyone that has responded to you can read and have comprehended your post perfectly. You stated that you would throw a Little George in their "comfort zone". I agree, that's a great way to catch to catch a butt whoopin'. Why don't you think something so lame could cause you to get your arse whipped?

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 01:30 PM

I guess I'm just not worried about it.
There is alot of distance between me chunking a bait close to someone who showed poor manners on the water and "getting my arse whipped".
I remain unconcerned....after all, lots of internet tough guys will "say" they're gonna jump. When, in fact, they are just little froggies with a cell phone.
But, have a nice day.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 01:42 PM

Agree with the internet tough guys.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 01:57 PM

Truth.

Hey....I didn't do anything.......this time.

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Truth.

Hey....I didn't do anything.......this time.

roflmao
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 02:07 PM

There is alot of distance between me chunking a bait close to someone who showed poor manners on the water and "getting my arse whipped".
I remain unconcerned....after all, lots of internet tough guys will "say" they're gonna jump. When, in fact, they are just little froggies with a cell phone.
But, have a nice day.

*a lot

grin

Lets get back to hating tourney jersey wearing, flat billed, d-bags, that will cut your Mom off if given the chance. eeks

All of us in the OT are 6'4 and 250 Come play
Posted By: getzitfisher

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 02:11 PM

Many years ago I took my 5 year old for one of his first fishing trips. I was fishing for sand bass near a water intake that was in a restricted area. We were sitting just outside of the restricted area by a buoy and throwing toward the intake. We were catching enough fish to keep a 5 year old interested and having fun. After about 30 minutes of this, two men came flying by us right past the buoys and right up to the intake. After they had idled around for a few minutes looking at their graph, one of them stated "I guess they are just not in here this morning". They then dropped the hammer and sped away. We did not catch another fish that day.
My son is now of the age that he is shopping for his own boat. I occasionally remind him of the two men's behavior, and he remembers it.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: getzitfisher
Many years ago I took my 5 year old for one of his first fishing trips. I was fishing for sand bass near a water intake that was in a restricted area. We were sitting just outside of the restricted area by a buoy and throwing toward the intake. We were catching enough fish to keep a 5 year old interested and having fun. After about 30 minutes of this, two men came flying by us right past the buoys and right up to the intake. After they had idled around for a few minutes looking at their graph, one of them stated "I guess they are just not in here this morning". They then dropped the hammer and sped away. We did not catch another fish that day.
My son is now of the age that he is shopping for his own boat. I occasionally remind him of the two men's behavior, and he remembers it.

Well at least they were right about the fish.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 05:05 PM

Try and air your personal grievances (in life in general, not just fishing) with the individuals when and where they happen. Focus your anger and displeasure on that person whom you have an issue with, makes life easier.

Life's too complicated to waste time and energy on being mad on the water then getting home and firing up the ole commodore 64 and getting all mad again wink

Posted By: John175☮

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 05:10 PM

If you were there you would have chuckled too... grin

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Try and air your personal grievances (in life in general, not just fishing) with the individuals when and where they happen. Focus your anger and displeasure on that person whom you have an issue with, makes life easier.

Life's too complicated to waste time and energy on being mad on the water then getting home and firing up the ole commodore 64 and getting all mad again wink

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 06:59 PM

When I fished with Josh Bertrand a couple years ago, I was shocked at how courteous he was. He had a cove that he was dying to fish, but a couple kids were bank fishing and he looked at me and said, "whenever I see someone bank fishing, I always leave it to them. I remember the days when that was how I had to fish" . Then we turned around and went to another spot. I have also been with him when someone was fishing a boat house...he would give them around 100 yards of leeway, and look at me and SWEAR there was a 6 pounder there waiting for him.

I am usually pretty good about staying out from someone else's way, unless it's a REALLY small lake. Then, I might get to within 40-50 yards of someone....but I watch their reactions. If it looks like I'm making em mad, I will leave.

I have intentionally ran up on someone once....because I saw them cutting from behind a Corp structure that had "no boat" buoys marking it, making it known as a no boat area. I knew they were gonna cut between me and the bank,...so I turned up the tm and cut em off. They didn't like it. I didn't care. They cussed, I cussed, then they left.

No little johns were slinged.

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 07:03 PM

Yeh.....the world needs more road rage [censored].

Actually, kinda a bad idea. The better man would just let the a holes have their way and go on about his day.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 07:18 PM

on Sunday while watching the MLF show on Lake Efaula in Alabama one of the pros was fishing a very large flat with hydrilla and there were at least 2 local boats also fishing in there.
Later the pro came back and said that he left because he didn't want to step on any toes" with the local boats there.

The thought came to me that had it been here at Fork, if I was catching fishing, there would be boats pushing me to move off because they are fishing a tournament.

While Texas anglers claim to be the best many are just down right obnoxious. Pull in front of you on a bank 30 feet ahead of you, pull up on a point you are already fishing, and on and on. It is exhausting.

And I know how all of this came be to. I even have a name for it.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Yeh.....the world needs more road rage [censored].

Actually, kinda a bad idea. The better man would just let the a holes have their way and go on about his day.

The point is talk it out with the person whom you have a beef with.

If you have to escalate your problem solving abilities to "road rage" or "violence", then you are the problem.

You know a smile and some friendly chatter goes along way. smile
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 08:07 PM

But, have a nice day.

So who is the Internet tough guy?? My my...
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 09:18 PM

Question is DO TOURNAMENT FISHERMAN HAVE PRECEDENT OVER LOCALS ?

Only Ike has precedent over locals. He gets so mad when a local is fishing on the same lake. I understand there are some guys that try and be rude to the pro's intentionally, but it seems Ike gets mad at every local.

Also I would love to see how the pro's adapt to a tournament with 2350 people like SOT.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Tournament Manners ? - 06/13/17 09:34 PM

You know Tournament fishing is like a Game of chess. You found some fish in a area. Tournament day you drew boat 290 out of 290. You get to your first spot hoping no one else found those fish. But guess what there are two boats fishing the area. Not your spot. You see that boat number 1 is going south or east. boat number 2 is going west or north. in between them is 250 yard of your fish, What do you do.

You start idling closer. Drop your trolling motor. Than slowing fish your way to your fish. If none of the boats make a move towards you keep going till you get on your fish. Just keep distance between you and the other boats they were there first.

Just saying
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum