Texas Fishing Forum

Scale

Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Scale - 06/12/17 11:41 AM

What do you weigh your fish with on the boat. I used a cheap scale and it showed way low and it caused me to lose a couple hundred bucks. Thanks
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 12:00 PM

AccuCul works great for me..
Posted By: DaveS

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 03:52 PM

Boga
Posted By: 203 CHAMP

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 04:12 PM

Cul-M-rite
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 04:48 PM

Boga
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 07:12 PM

If you are measuring fish to cull, then any semi accurate digital scale will work, since you are compairing apples to apples ...

I don't understand how a faulty scale on your boat has cost you money. If you culled the wrong fish, you should have weighed them all on the same worn out scale....it would be accurate from fish to fish. Maybe not accurate to the tourney directors scale....but that doesn't matter.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 07:13 PM

I use Boga's. And they are spot on!!!! Cul-M-rites are good too.

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 07:13 PM

Oh....to answer the questions, I use the cheap $40 Rapala from BPS....it's within .05 lbs of the certified meat market scales used at weigh-ins.

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 11:11 PM

To answer your question I weighed it at 1.98 went weigh in and the number 10 fish on board was 2.10 so I put it live well and decided to weigh in later. It wound up weighing 2.44. If I had known that and weighed in first time I would have won 400 dollars instead of 200. Hence the 200 dollars difference. It was at the skeeters owne s tournament
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE
To answer your question I weighed it at 1.98 went weigh in and the number 10 fish on board was 2.10 so I put it live well and decided to weigh in later. It wound up weighing 2.44. If I had known that and weighed in first time I would have won 400 dollars instead of 200. Hence the 200 dollars difference. It was at the skeeters owne s tournament

If you want that kind of accuracy you need to buy a Cull M Rite.

Re: Scale - 06/12/17 11:25 PM

Thanks looking at them right after this post. Thanks
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Scale - 06/13/17 01:40 AM

The Rapala Digital works just fine for me. I believe it's around $59.

Re: Scale - 06/13/17 02:54 AM

Thanks

Re: Scale - 06/13/17 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Ah.....yeh, that would not be cool. I see why you are wanting a more accurate scale.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Scale - 06/13/17 05:16 AM

In a normal fishing-skill tournament, what matters is weighing in the allowed number of fish with the most total weight. A cheap scale or even just a balance beam are sufficient for that task. Weigh in your best X number of fish.

In what I view as a gambling-based fishing event, you need certified weight for each single fish. These events are marketing/participation focused, which is different that the majority of competitive skill tournaments most anglers participate in.

You can get some calibration info for a run-of-the-mill digital fish scale by weighing some common items around 2, 5, and 10 pounds for instance. Then weigh those exact items on a certified scale to see how they compare. This would give you info to allow a decently accurate adjustment for the weight of a new item, such as a fish.

Re: Scale - 06/13/17 08:42 PM

Thanks for the info
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Scale - 06/13/17 08:50 PM

I believe the OP is referring to the Skeeter Owners scales showing more weight than his scale in the boat. I have used about 4 different scales over the years and theirs is always heavier. I believe this is due to weighing the fish on dry land. This past weekend we figured there was a 10% increase in weight between our boat scales and the bass champ scales.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Scale - 06/13/17 08:50 PM

Why I use my IGFA certified balls on accurate Boga Grip 315 scale.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum