Texas Fishing Forum

Chirp technology and is humminbird my best value in a fishfinder upgrade?

Posted By: beeflover

Chirp technology and is humminbird my best value in a fishfinder upgrade? - 06/11/17 04:39 PM

Cabelas fathers day sale has some good deals, like $179 Lew's superduty for $99, Curado for $129

I was looking at a new fishfinder and looked at the humminbird helix 9 si/gps on sale for $899 and noticed the same unit plus Chirp for a much higher price $1299. What is so great about the Chirp that is might be worth $400 more?

Has anyone out there seen a big difference?
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/11/17 05:03 PM

Better definition in what you're seeing on sonar which inludes a good visual of your line and lure which is a neat feature.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/11/17 06:48 PM

To me it is much better. For example, a ball of bait goes from a blob to seeing individual baitfish. It does a better job of seeing fish that normally would blend into the bottom. Was the $1299 a mega unit with chirp on the si? If so then that has amazing si detail.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 12:45 AM

Think of it as high def for fishfinders, it makes the arches much more crisp. If you know what to look for you can sometimes tell what fish species just by the way the returns look.

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 12:47 AM

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=helix+9+chirp+hdth

this says Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega si/gps GN2 so I guess this is a mega transducer. I wonder how the mega transducer compares with an HDSI transducer or if there a HDSI exchange available?

Also I'll need a thru hull transducer and mapping software and misc so maybe $250 plus the $1299 so $1500-1600ish total
Posted By: Usmc826

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 02:53 AM

I have the helix 9 mega with the terrova trolling motor I pilot link. And love it. Can see details very good.

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 08:20 AM

Do you have a thru hull transducer now? You can use it for 2d and then install the transom transducer for di and si. Yes on mapping software but look for a used card on here.
Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 12:15 PM

Thanks

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 02:37 PM

Bobby, I have a lowrance thru hull transducer already in the boat but you don't think that might work with a new humminbird do you?

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 06:15 PM

You need to get the adaptor so it plugs into hummingbird. It should work for your 2d.

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 08:39 PM

thanks bobby, that would be sweet I'm having some luck I think finding parts at the hummingbird outlet online

You didn't say anything about upgrading the mega transducer to HD so I'll just go with the Mega and be using it faster.

Dang I just know this thing is going to be too smart for me with to many settings etc but I'm goin for it

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 09:14 PM

If you get the mega transducer, that is the latest one. It has more crystals and gives better pictures than the hd

Re: whats this new Chirp tech in fishfinders - 06/12/17 09:15 PM

I'd go into the general equipment section and look for Wayne. He's a hummingbird guru
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum