Texas Fishing Forum

Boat Mechanic ?

Posted By: Jake S.

Boat Mechanic ? - 06/07/17 04:29 PM

I recently sold my boat for the simple fact it would not run. I took it to a pretty reputable marine shop. It sat there for 6 months and my bill was $1400 and nothing was fixed, same issue, they couldn't fix it. I sold it and the guy took it somewhere else and fixed it for $700. Should I just take the lick and move on or call service marine I took it to. Thanks
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/07/17 07:30 PM

I would be working to get my 1400 back even if I have to spend more to get it.
Posted By: hogbus

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/07/17 08:01 PM

Service Marine in Emory? This does not sound right. What was wrong with it? I have used them on my champ and basscat and was very pleased with work and price. Good luck. JD
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/07/17 10:15 PM

I have used Service Marine in Emory and have nothing but good things to say about them.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 01:17 AM

Sat for 6 months? Only $1400? Couldn't get it to run? Something sure sounds screwy to me.
Posted By: wlgorman

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 02:03 AM

Ronnie, Xtreme Marine in Grand Prairie. Knows his stuff and is a whole lot more reasonable than any big shop. Had my motor and controls swapped and various other small ticket issues fixed within 24 hrs of the first look at my boat.
Posted By: ShinerInTx

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 03:33 AM

If you know that the new owner got it fixed for $700, then I'm guessing you know what got fixed?
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 07:59 AM

Wait a minute, your boat sat there 6 months? where you out of town working or something? no way my bass boat is sitting at a shop for that long.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 09:54 AM

6 months and $1400 and its still wasn't repaired. Am I missing something here?

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 02:34 PM

Was not Service Marine. Yes sat for six months. I coach HS football so from August to January it was there. Supposedly they were waiting for a motor like mine to come in and troubleshoot. New owner said all new shop did was change fuel filters and basic tune-up.

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 02:36 PM

I don't want to name the Marine shop just wondering if I should call and complain maybe ask for some money back or just eat it lol.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake S.
Was not Service Marine. Yes sat for six months. I coach HS football so from August to January it was there. Supposedly they were waiting for a motor like mine to come in and troubleshoot. New owner said all new shop did was change fuel filters and basic tune-up.

If a shop needs another motor like yours to use as a base to troubleshoot that alone should have raised every red flag in existance
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 04:50 PM

You won't get your money back, waste of your time. You can call and complain but if they did you like that the first time, they don't even have the cash on hand to pay you back.
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 04:54 PM

Chalk it up as lesson learned

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 04:54 PM

Also....I never understand why people don't post the names of businesses that do them wrong. By the way, that's only on this forum it seems...

There is nothing wrong with describing a bad business experience and using names. Chances are if you name them, others will chime in with good stories about them. So you aren't ruining their business but it makes your story more legitimate and possibly helps out others.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 05:03 PM

If someone does me wrong like that I'm going to say something about it. Don't bother getting your money back just make sure the place does not have anymore customers by telling people your bad experience. That will make them think twice about their customer service.

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 05:08 PM

Show the shop this thread and let them know that you will be posting their name if they don't reimburse you all or partial. But again...that means you will actually post them on here.

So maybe that's why you haven't said their name yet, because you're using it as leverage? Otherwise I just don't get it.
Posted By: Basscat Puma FTD

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 05:29 PM

I have used Service Marine for all three of my boats since 2001 and I have nothing but great things to say about Chuck and his staff. They have saved my bacon a few times and got me back on the water quickly, not to mention he is a great guy to deal with even if you just need advice.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 05:42 PM

Great, hope I'm not taking my boat to this un named marine shop.
Posted By: hogbus

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 06:14 PM

You put service marine in your original post?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/08/17 07:03 PM

Why did they charge you anything at all if they did not have it fixed when you picked it up. The exception would be, I have had my mechanic tell me that an issue is narrowed down to a couple of electronic components and he is 95% sure from his experience that it is the issue but no way to tell until he puts it ion and they don't give refunds on those parts. I then choose to roll the dice or not and then I should be paying even if not a cure. So far he has been right every time.

If you were warned that then you should eat the cost. If not and the boat wasn't fixed when you picked it up, you shouldn't have paid. Now I'd just walk away since I doubt it would end well and not worth the headache now
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/09/17 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: criglizard
Also....I never understand why people don't post the names of businesses that do them wrong. By the way, that's only on this forum it seems...

There is nothing wrong with describing a bad business experience and using names. Chances are if you name them, others will chime in with good stories about them. So you aren't ruining their business but it makes your story more legitimate and possibly helps out others.

Because some of them are sponsors and the homers will trash the forum member. But yes I agree. I'd be banned if I shared my stories and used names. The few times I spoke up, the thread got deleted.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/09/17 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake S.
I recently sold my boat for the simple fact it would not run. I took it to a pretty reputable marine shop. It sat there for 6 months and my bill was $1400 and nothing was fixed, same issue, they couldn't fix it. I sold it and the guy took it somewhere else and fixed it for $700. Should I just take the lick and move on or call service marine I took it to. Thanks

I would expect some money back, Maybe not all.

Whether or not they will give you money back is another issue.
Posted By: Tire Master

Re: Boat Mechanic ? - 06/09/17 04:33 PM

Not to pile on...but what exactly did they charge you for? $1,400 to do what? And not to second guess...but if I paid $1,400, that motor better be running "tip top" before I go pick it up. This story doesn't add up....Sorry for you headaches.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum