Texas Fishing Forum

Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups?

Posted By: Rhino68W

Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/06/17 09:53 PM

I am looking for some feedback from the more seasoned bass anglers. Would you change anything about my current setups? I kayak fish so 6 or 7 rods is the max I can take on any given day. I typically only take 5.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 01:03 AM

All looks fine... I don't use braid on anything except a frog... my opinion flouro red label is cheap enough to spool when needed. I do use tape as backing for the first 10-15 yards or so. Everyone has their own way of doing things... and they all seem to work.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 01:33 AM

How long of cast do you make with the T-Rig/Lt-Jig? I assume it is quite different from a Kayak.

I cannot stand MH for this application. I use a Heavy rod/fast tip.

I don't like Med power CB rods either.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 12:20 PM

Most everything is preference really. I don't like braid except where it's necessary. I also prefer a crankbait rod with a moderate tip.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 01:25 PM

I'd go with a slower action on your crankbait rod. And change all the rods to Falcon Cara or Lowrider. J/K!!! Everything looks pretty good to me. you might like casting your lighter plugs on a softer action though.
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 02:33 PM

dont waste your money on the abu reels. especially the black max. i would get the lews american hero instead. they come in different gear ratios, so whatever application you need it for you can get it. 49.99 and they blow the black max out of the water. my girlfriend uses one and it has literally outlasted my revo sx that was purchased at the same time. every revo i have had lasts no longer than a year before a part breaks or mechanism quits working. Lews all the way.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 02:49 PM

Move your Senko setup to the TX-Rig when possible. Power-fish that weightless Senko in and around the heavy grass , overhangs, docks and other cover! You canthank me later.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Brazos Bass Cat
dont waste your money on the abu reels. especially the black max. i would get the lews american hero instead. they come in different gear ratios, so whatever application you need it for you can get it. 49.99 and they blow the black max out of the water. my girlfriend uses one and it has literally outlasted my revo sx that was purchased at the same time. every revo i have had lasts no longer than a year before a part breaks or mechanism quits working. Lews all the way.

That's interesting, I have 10 revos and 1 lews. Most of my revos are 5-6 years old, have never been disassembled or oiled and cast a mile.

I won the lews speed spool in a tournament last year and in less than a year the worm gear is about worn out and occasionally the gears seem to just lock up on me, almost always when I have a fish on.

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Trickster
How long of cast do you make with the T-Rig/Lt-Jig? I assume it is quite different from a Kayak.

I cannot stand MH for this application. I use a Heavy rod/fast tip.

I don't like Med power CB rods either.

I cast about 20-30 yards depending on where/how I am fishing. I can cast much further if need be.

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Move your Senko setup to the TX-Rig when possible. Power-fish that weightless Senko in and around the heavy grass , overhangs, docks and other cover! You canthank me later.

I will keep that in mind on my next outing!
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Would you change anything about my rod/reel setups? - 06/07/17 04:26 PM

I'd go to 17 lb fluoro leader on your shaky head set up, and 30 lb on the braid. 10 lb will get your heart broke. 30 with 17 leader you can handle some big fish in heavy cover if needed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum