Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Comedero

Posted By: texasaggie09

Lake Comedero - 06/05/17 03:43 AM

I am planning a trip to Lake Comedero in February. Has anyone ever been? We are supposed to provide our own lures... any recommendations?

Thanks!
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: Lake Comedero - 06/05/17 12:25 PM

good morning,

you might have better luck at baccarac....you might want to talk to doug at www.mexicofishing.net(480-861-5021) they are catching a lot of BIG fish right now.....

you can fly out of phoenix to culican, cheap round trip.......just saying..........

good luck.
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2

Re: Lake Comedero - 06/05/17 01:41 PM

I am going with my father-in-law and he is friends with the outfitter who fishes Comedero. He bought the trip in a Ducks Unlimited banquet so we don't have a choice at this point.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Lake Comedero - 06/05/17 01:52 PM

Are you going to Ron Speed's Place? If you are, all you have to worry about is baits..

Take some giant spinner baits.. One ounce or larger jigs.. Some Mag Flukes..

Lake should have a bunch of water still in it in February.. And Feb is big bass time there..

Look for points with trees, and about a 45 degree slope on them.. And anything that looks fishy.. (Most of it..)

You gonna like it..
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Lake Comedero - 06/05/17 02:22 PM

YOU WILL LOVE Comedero....it has been a few years since I went but I spoke with a gentleman who has been twice this year and the big fish are back.

Watermellon Red 8" zoom lizzards - at least 4-5 bags a day - bite the head off and re-use...you will use them all.
Watermellon Red senko - 4 bag a day
White smaller profile three blade 3/8 oz spinner bait...I hate throwing these but those fish love those in tree tops.

White Spook
Yellow Magic

whatever else suits your style....get ready to wreck them!

Dont forget candy for the kids up there!

Re: Lake Comedero - 06/05/17 02:29 PM

Thanks guys! Yes, we are going with Ron Speed.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Lake Comedero - 06/05/17 03:34 PM

One boat, two anglers, 35 bass over 7 lbs in a single day. Yes, you'll have A LOT of fun.

That ridiculous catch was on a C-rig (bait didn't matter) on an offshore hump that we found by accident. The guides are pretty much bank beaters so don't expect to repeat that. On the banks, look for individual BIG trees mixed in with all of the normal thick brush. Almost guaranteed there will be a bigger fish on the bigger trees.

Take a bunch of big lizards and a bunch of the big Yum Dingers (6 inch and 7 inch) in watermelon/pearl.

Watch out for dinosaurs...

Re: Lake Comedero - 06/06/17 01:37 AM

Thanks again for the help. There are 4 of us going so we will have even numbers on the boats. We are looking forward to it!
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Lake Comedero - 06/06/17 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
One boat, two anglers, 35 bass over 7 lbs in a single day. Yes, you'll have A LOT of fun.

That ridiculous catch was on a C-rig (bait didn't matter) on an offshore hump that we found by accident. The guides are pretty much bank beaters so don't expect to repeat that. On the banks, look for individual BIG trees mixed in with all of the normal thick brush. Almost guaranteed there will be a bigger fish on the bigger trees.

Take a bunch of big lizards and a bunch of the big Yum Dingers (6 inch and 7 inch) in watermelon/pearl.

Watch out for dinosaurs...

Exactly!!! I love Comedero and can not wait to go back...eyeballing spring 2018.

Re: Lake Comedero - 12/24/17 03:57 AM

Only a couple months before we go to Comedero now. Anyone else have any tips? It looks like big spinner baits and big jigs are the go to baits right now.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Lake Comedero - 12/24/17 05:39 AM

Go to Justin rackley YouTube page he just posted a few videos about comedero
Posted By: Klinker

Re: Lake Comedero - 12/24/17 05:43 AM

I will be going on Jan 24. Feel free to check back with me for some up to the minute tips.

This will be my 4th annual trip. Generally speaking, the following baits are staples:

Weightless Zoom Mag Fluke - Pearl White (dip tail chartreuse), Watermelon (dip tail chartreuse), Houdini (dip tail chartreuse)
TX Rig 8" Watermelon Red Lizard - Zoom, Gene Larew Biffle O, Big Bite Kriet Tail (dip tail in chartreuse)
Weightless 6" Senko-type - Watermelon Red, Watermelon Pearl (dip 1/2" of tail chartreuse)
Spinnerbaits
Chatterbaits
Crankbaits - 8-12' diver - Citrus Shad, Chartreuse Citrus Shad
Topwater - Large Yellow Magic or Rico, Sammy, Spook, Whopper Plopper

I have also had good luck with creature baits, Tornado/Rattlesnake, 10" worms and swimbaits (Skinny Dipper Sexy Shad). If you are a jig guy, they can be absolute killers.

I fished solo on my last trip (Feb 14 timeframe) and averaged 147 fish per day over six days of fishing - on a "bad" day only 10 of those fish would be over 5 lbs and on my best day 27 were over 5 lbs. To give you an idea of the potential catch rate, if a person was exclusively throw a Chartreuse Pearl Zoom 5" fluke, I honestly believe they would average well over 200 fish per day. Picachos has nothing on Comedero when it comes to numbers....just that the "average" size fish on Comedero is probably twice as large as on Picachos.

It is basically the world's largest private pond. On any given day there are no more than 10 bass boats on 18,000 acres of water. It is a bass fisherman's paradise!

Re: Lake Comedero - 12/24/17 08:26 PM

Thanks, Klinker. I’ll holler at you when you get back.

I know Justin Rackley and he actually lives in my neighborhood. My BIL talked to him last night. It sounds like they were throwing big jigs and having good luck.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Lake Comedero - 12/29/17 01:54 AM

How did y’all travel and where did you stay?
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Lake Comedero - 12/29/17 03:03 PM

Look up lake fork guy on youtube, he and a few other guys just got back week before christmas. Great videos and very current reports

Re: Lake Comedero - 01/22/18 05:19 AM

You fly into Mazatlan and then a driver takes you about 3 hours north to the fish camp. All of this is set up through Ron Speed Jr Adventures. There are several airlines that fly into Mazatlan. It’s an all inclusive type deal at the camp (all meals/drinks are provided).

I’ve watched Justin’s (lakeforkguy) videos and I texted him some too. He got me pumped and ready to go!
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Lake Comedero - 01/22/18 12:45 PM

My buddies just came back from Speed's camp there last week.. The amount of giant fish they caught was ridiculous.. Take some big popping top waters.. Caught big fish on top all day long.. Big spinner baits were good as well..

I can't get out of here till April.. But I'm going then.. Hard to wait!

Re: Lake Comedero - 01/22/18 03:15 PM

Big fish on top water is what I’m most excited about!
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Lake Comedero - 01/22/18 10:41 PM

We have 4 more spots available for a trip to Comendero in April. Booked 16 spots if anyone else wants to go. We have spots available. I can tell you the fishing is on fire. If you want more details hollar at me and I'll give you all the details and dates.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum