Texas Fishing Forum

What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig?

Posted By: LeonSulak

What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 08:05 PM

I am forcing myself to learn this technique. Forgive me if this subject has been beaten to death in the past. Just curious to see what lure you will typically try on this rig. Also, what depth do you normally target while using it, and can it be used on rocks?

Thanks for any input
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 08:07 PM

You can put whatever the he!! you want on there! However, a Zoom Brush Hog, Mag Trick Worm, or Fluke is hard to beat. A GrandeBass or Hags worm is great too because they float. I fish a Carolina rig in 5ft-35ft and yes, you can fish it over rocks.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 08:19 PM

Regular Zoom Fluke is good on some lakes, and the Zoom Lizard is good on most lakes. Brush hogs are what a LOT of people use, I think that's why I do so good on Lizards and Flukes.

I have also heard of dudes using AirTail rattlers (the float up from the bottom), but have yet to try it. I have a friend that uses RageTail craws on them and it works for him....

I guess the real answer is almost any soft plastic probably can work.

Biggest trick, for me, is a HEAVY weight. I want to crash into cover and stir up mud. I want it to cause some racket.

Don't be scared to drag it through heavy grass either....worked for me last Monday ....enough for 1st place.
Posted By: H B

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 08:43 PM

I like a baby brush hog on it, drag it around till you feel a rough spot or some brush.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 08:49 PM

Magnum flukes and lizards most of the time, have used everything from trick worms to Brush Hogs.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 08:51 PM

Start with a Smashtech bubble fry and go from there.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 09:23 PM

What's not good?! Lol

I Echo everything all the other guys said.

I would add as we get into the dog days of summer in my opinion nothing beats a 12 inch Magnum worm. It looks big to us but the bass don't care. Even a 14-inch bass will Hammer a 12 inch worm.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 10:37 PM

If the bite gets tough, downsize with centipede or baby snake.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 10:40 PM

All of the above work, I'd add a Senko to the list
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 11:51 PM

My favorites are the V&M Baby Swamp Hog.
Biffle Bug
fluke
centepede
Lake Fork Crazy Flapper
They all work
Posted By: senko9S

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/04/17 11:53 PM

bps stud fry was the best, zoom fish doctor a close second. green of course.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/05/17 12:31 AM

Ring frys.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/05/17 12:42 AM

Any plastic!!!!
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/05/17 01:12 AM

Buzz bait!
Posted By: 361V

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/05/17 01:40 AM

I hate dragging a C-rig around. Really hate it! But it flat catches fish, sometimes when nothing else will. Like mentioned above start smaller. Bubble Fry, LFT Ring Fry, Grande Bass Rattlesnakes, Baby Brushhogs... As you learn the technique(very uncomplicated) you will find times that "power C-rigging" will work. Full sized Brushhogs, 10"-12" worms... Even more "power C-rigging"? Try a 1oz jig instead of a weight and offer em two baits. Not a complicated way to fish. Just drag it around.
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/05/17 01:42 AM

Just about any soft plastic you want to fish, if you properly match the bait to the hook, line, and sinker. I fish worms, lizards, senkos, flukes, brush hogs, centipedes, etc., but you need to match the hook size to the bait properly. A hook a little too big is better than one too small.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/05/17 02:27 AM

Fluke #1
Baby brush hog #2
#3 refer to 1-2

Will catch fish on any lake I've been on in East Texas. Coach
Posted By: Ricktofish

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/05/17 07:57 PM

Coachmas best colors on the fluke? Bream imitation or shad imitation?
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/05/17 10:33 PM

I keep two c-rigs tied at all times.
A "heavy" (3/4 oz.) with a long (36") leader and a "light" 1/4 oz & 18" leader......my faves are a watermelon power Hawg, Flukes, and big worms......I prefer C-Rigging at night.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/05/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricktofish

Green Pumpkin and Watermelon red are my go-to colors
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Ricktofish

Green pumpkin, watermelon red, watermelon seed, bluegill flash, houdini.

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: buggsboy
Just about any soft plastic you want to fish, if you properly match the bait to the hook, line, and sinker. I fish worms, lizards, senkos, flukes, brush hogs, centipedes, etc., but you need to match the hook size to the bait properly. A hook a little too big is better than one too small.

A hook a little too big on a Tx. rig is ok but I disagree on a C-rig. If the hook is too big it kills the action of the bait too much. I learned my lesson on that when I first started fishing a C-rig many years a go.

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: loves2fish
I am forcing myself to learn this technique. Forgive me if this subject has been beaten to death in the past. Just curious to see what lure you will typically try on this rig. Also, what depth do you normally target while using it, and can it be used on rocks?

Thanks for any input

Almost any soft plastic bait can be used on a C-rig but my favorites are flukes, baby brugh hogs, 10 inch worms, lizards, baby ring frys, and rattle snakes.

My top two fish producers are a baby snake in chartruce pepper and trophy hunter.
Posted By: dh76

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 02:56 AM

Lake Fork 4" Ring Fry
Posted By: Bissett

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 01:58 PM

90% of the time I go with a baby brush hawg
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
You can put whatever the he!! you want on there! However, a Zoom Brush Hog, Mag Trick Worm, or Fluke is hard to beat. A GrandeBass or Hags worm is great too because they float. I fish a Carolina rig in 5ft-35ft and yes, you can fish it over rocks.

X2
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 05:24 PM

Grande bass rattlesnake or a fluke
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 06:04 PM

For those throwing flukes on the crig, are you throwing a shad type pattern or your favorite watermelon and something?
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: redskeet100
For those throwing flukes on the crig, are you throwing a shad type pattern or your favorite watermelon and something?
whatever the bass are feeding on you should try and match it.
Posted By: FWFish

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 07:23 PM

Zoom Lizards and 10" Worms
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 08:10 PM

Both
Posted By: David Burton

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

Both

Define a shad-type pattern... watermelon magic is bluegill, but still shimmers like shad or even crayfish; pearl colors are shad-like; Disco colors, etc... I have heard, try to match the water color somewhat and let it pop with the fleck or chartreuses. I like chartreuse, it is a natural color in the underwater environment, believe it or not!
Posted By: John175☮

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 09:31 PM

NetBait Tiny Paca Craw
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/06/17 10:34 PM

I've caught em on Pink flukes. Everything works.
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/07/17 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: John175 ®
NetBait Tiny Paca Craw

Sssshhhhhhhhh.... peep

Biffle Bugs (all sizes), ring fries, Rattlesnakes, flukes, Skinny Dippers, LFT Hyper Worms and Hyper Freaks
Posted By: bc4393

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/08/17 01:41 PM

My go-to's are a pearl Zoom fluke or Zoom Utale worms. Haven't had a lot of luck on it this year though. Haven't used it much either due to short fishing opportunities so that's probably why.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/08/17 03:34 PM

are you guys with flukes dragging it faster so it darts around or what? or just dragging it slow like normal? I would think that fluke would just lay on the bottom with no motion at all?
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/08/17 03:50 PM

Fluke, Bubble Fry, Speed Craw or Baby Brush Hog for tougher bites. If I'm looking to cull up. full size Brush Hog or a 10-12" Power Worm
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/08/17 04:00 PM

Used to be a lizard 90% of the time, but I swear that fluke has been growing on me in the last 2-3 years. Seems to me when the water gets warm, I catch way more on the fluke than anything else. I honestly believe I cover more water with the fluke as well because I do work it faster than I would a brush hog or lizard. I never "drag" the fluke. By itself, the fluke has no "action" unless there is some sort of sudden jerking motion going on with the rod tip, so I simply apply what I know about the fluke to a deeper presentation. Most of us have seen a fluke do its magic while dancing just under the surface. Its hard to beat a fluke for its erratic movements!! With a C-Rig, simply apply what you know to deeper water. Make it dance! In the Sealy tournament at Rayburn 2 years ago, my brother and I went through 6 bags of watermelon red flukes in 8 hours. We caught close to 100 fish, 1 that went almost 7 and won us a little scratch. We were literally throwing it as far as we could with 1 OZ tungsten and reeling them in like a crankbait, with a little jerking motion thrown in from time to time. Give it a shot sometime if you have not done so, it may very well change your whole outlook on how to fish a carolina rig, it has mine!!
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/08/17 04:58 PM

that's some good info on the fluke thank you very much! I may try that this weekend. I also have been thinking about trying a 3:16 minnow which has that air pocket in there on a Carolina rig as well, wonder if that would work?
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/08/17 07:09 PM

I try not to worry about the bait having "air" in it to help it float. Like Fouz says, if you want your bait off the bottom, use a drop shot. I simply do not look at using a fluke on a c rig as a traditional c rig setup. I think its a technique in a class by itself because I fish it differently, almost like you would fish a hard jerkbait or even better, like you would fish a weightless fluke near the surface. What helps me is "imagining" what the bait is doing when its down there. Lift your rod to get it off the bottom, jerk, jerk, pause, reel, stop, lift again. Just imagine that bait looking like its chasing that heavy weight that is kicking up debris off the bottom. In short, fishing the fluke on a c rig, at least to me, does not even come close to what most people think of when "dragging" the old ball and chain, it's a completely different technique. In short, if you are c rigging with a fluke and just "dragging", you will catch fish, no doubt, but don't let the opportunity pass to fish it a little faster, just like a weightless fluke near the surface, and see what happens!!
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: What soft plastics do you use on a C-rig? - 06/08/17 11:15 PM

The question should read what soft plastic do you NOT fish on a C-rig and the answer would be ZERO. As stated above, you can use anything, even Horny Toads. I also fish CBs and topwaters on a C-rig when the bite id tough. Often get your arm almost broke doing that, though. I typically fish a lizard, fluke, swimming fluke, senko, baby brush hawg or brush hawg or mag brush hawg, depending on what I think the fish want. It is a presentation that I fish from 6" to 40', depending on where the fish are located. Year round technique, too. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum