Texas Fishing Forum

painting a boat trailer

Posted By: Kens3313

painting a boat trailer - 06/03/17 11:26 PM

I'm wanting to paint my boat trailer sometime soon. What is a good paint to use? Was debating on if I should try the bed liner stuff like legend boats use or just paint it close to the same color green it already is. If I did use bed liner I want it to have a gloss look and not turn dull looking after a year. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/03/17 11:32 PM

I like Tuff Coat. Comes in just about any color you could imagine. I haven't applied it myself but have seen 2 trailers that had it and it is great looking.

http://www.basspro.com/Tuff-Coat-Rubberized-NonSkid-Coating/product/74554/
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/04/17 01:01 AM

If you don't want it to dull don't use bed liner.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/04/17 03:00 AM

The DIY bedliner stuff is junk, have it sprayed on professionally, & they have a UV additive they can add for extra $ that will keep the wet gloss look and not go dull.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/04/17 04:26 AM

Any place around you can have it dipped?
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/04/17 01:38 PM

Yea i dont want the dull looking bed liner, wish they made better do it yourself stuff. Have it dipped? Like powder paint?
Posted By: dhelms

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/05/17 02:18 AM

Get a quality paint from a quality dealer
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/05/17 03:31 AM

Any bedliner will dull through time. However it is much better than paint. If you are going to paint it, make sure you use a good epoxy sealer under the basecoat. I prefer Dupont or PPG.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/05/17 03:39 AM

if you use paint make sure to use a hardner, I did my smoker trailer and didnt and now I have a job ahead of me .
Posted By: triton_21

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/05/17 04:03 AM

I used one of the do it yourself kits from Autozone. Worked great. It will dull, but I just spray it with tire gloss when I wash the boat. Looks great and will last about a month or so. Just an idea.
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/05/17 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: scruboak
if you use paint make sure to use a hardner, I did my smoker trailer and didnt and now I have a job ahead of me .

You do not want to use an enamel on the trailer. It will dull just like bedliner. Used a catalyzed clearcoat on top of a basecoat.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/05/17 12:07 PM

English Color for automotive quality paints.
Epoxy paint is very durable.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/05/17 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: scruboak
If your determined to go the DIY route use tractor/implement paint and add the hardener, that stuff won't chip.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: painting a boat trailer - 06/05/17 10:16 PM

This stuff is the real deal. Add urethane clear coat.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Custom-Bedliner/?gclid=CO_Ftt_cp9QCFQypaQod7acIgg
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum